Exhaust Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust Issue

While chasing down a leak from one of the thru-hulls I discovered an interesting situation with the exhaust system. A quick search brought up discussion about the same issues. But no real solid solutions. This is on a @007 24ve. With 1135 hours of run time, and we run at surf speed almost all those hours.

So looking up the exhaust end port side the tube is clean and open all the way. There is no evidence that anything is wrong nor changed since installed. The starboard side has a "baffle?" cutting off half of the pipe and the glass in this area looks busted up and the "Baffle? is loose and was easily removed . Others have discovered this same issue. There are multiple suggestions as to why this imbalance is there and the ways to fix it.

Why would this restriction of 50% be there and not on the other side? The port side is clean and no evidence of a restriction that may have been there and or blew out.

Would this restriction in the exhaust cause extra heat to build up in that area which in turn caused the glass and restriction to separate?

Let's not even get too deep in the discussion of the unbalanced and restricted exhaust and the damage 1135 hours of use has caused????

It seems others have used the FAE stainless exhaust. Has it worked in the long run and is it cool enough to not cause too much heat build up to the close by cooling lines and hull stringers?

BLackWidow and others have reportedly use wet exhaust hose. Is this a good idea and has it worked? Seams that this would be the way to go. It is relatively inexpensive and can make a nice curve down and should clear everything down to the thru-hull.

What do you guys suggest?
    Wake Up or Stay On Shore!

The imbalance was not intended. They all came with that baffle. I would bet you the other one blew out a long time ago.
    Oh Yeah!

Comment

Black widow's install is still operating normally and really the best solution for the muffler issue. The more joints, the more possibility for leaks. If your exhaust elbows dump boat forward , its the only way to go for reliability and longevity. If they dump boat aft then there are a few options available.
      Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Working...
      X