Float Pad Transportation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Float Pad Transportation

Best way to haul these things around? Sams Club had a bunch of pads at a great price, and since the kids wanted one all last summer, we picked one up.. I saw them being hauled around last summer strapped to the swim step, but that's gonna put it in the way when it comes time to strap on boards or whatever.. Anybody here find a better way? Haven't even used it yet, and the more I look at it, the more I wish we didn't have it...

The little kids are gonna want it there every time, and I'm thinking it's just gonna be another hassle for me to deal with now..

I put it on my tower

Comment

Very losely tie it to your swim deck for the drive to the lake. Problem solved.

Comment

We got a float pad from Sams 2yrs ago too. We love it and use it all the time...awesome laying on it for the July 4th fireworks show. Hate the transportation part of it too tho. Cant beat it for chilling around the lake tho. I toss it in the back of boat for the drive and then leave it on the bow while surfing since we dont usually have a large crew, when we do, I leave it home.

Comment

We Don't have to do any of this often but we have before had to haul a tube or a pad with us. We have permanent anchors in the water just off shore by the dock at our house that make hooking a tube or something up very easy. Usually we just anchor the tube and go ride for a bit but that's something we are comfortable with having it out behind the house. If you have a cove you frequent or area you trust you could tie it to a tree or anchor it for a bit while riding and then pick back up when time to use it.

Comment

http://youtu.be/aDoerxecKF8 just make sure you secure it well....[emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

^^^ I've seen that vid before... dude almost rode it out

Comment

That's messed up, this is not a responsible boat owner. One thing to tie onto swim platform on the lake, stupid to do it on while driving down highway when he could have easily had it inside the boat, under the cover. Its negligence, plain and simple and my guess is that he was sued and lost. Poor guy on the motorcycle never had a chance. I ride bike all the time and my biggest fear is something like that happening...that some dumbass will injure me for life and there will be nothing I can do to avoid it. Guess that is the risk you take when riding a bike, sure it didnt make that rider feel any better tho.
                Last summer I was riding my bike down highway (I ride like EVERYONE is trying to kill me and because of that, in 20yrs of riding have so far been blessed with no accidents)...So several hundred feet in front of me was another bike riding along. I watched a truck change lanes quickly without looking. Big motorcycle minding his own business, this truck move right over into him and slammed him off side of road and into a guardrail. I stopped of course and helped him to ambulance arrived, I didnt know the guy but heard he was in hospital for weeks with the injuries

Comment

Can't say that's the best riding I've ever seen but that sucks! Poor guy, just out for a spin in his shorts () at least he had a helmet on.
                  Looks like that is NOT the preferred method of transporting them to the lake!

Comment

Originally posted by JoeG View Post
                    I put it on my tower
                    Do you have some pictures of this?

Comment

Float Pad Transportation

If I'm towing I shove it as best I can down into the walkway. Then I run a ratchet strap from the grab handles on each side where the cup holders are. Just drove 400 miles and it didn't move an inch.

If I'm driving around on the lake I set it on the sun deck or on top of the Bimini and use the same ratchet strap. Zero problems so far.

Edit: what kind of pads do you guys have? I bought one from Costco for $300. It works pretty good. But I've seen other thicker ones on the lake that seem to work better.
                      Last edited by BlackoutATX; 06-01-2017, 01:49 AM.
                      BABz - babzusa.com
                      Austin, TX

Comment

I have been thinking about picking up a Mission Reef Mat. Spendy, but inflatable so I could somewhat be stowed. I am sure it is a fairly heavy beast though.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
                        "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

I got my float pad at Sams Club early last summer for like $279....great price compared to paying between 500-800 retail for some brands! Its 8x15 tho I don't remember the brand but it is pretty thick and floats well even with 8 people on it. We used it a LOT last summer and couple times this summer and still looks new, I always open it and make sure it dries after we get home to keep it from mildewing. Also fairly heavy when rolled up.....BlackoutATX, how does the bimini hold that weight, do you lay it up there rolled up, or laid out?
                          I do same thing when towing to lake tho, just lay it on floor in back of boat and strap it down in case of wind, but heavy enough that I highly doubt it could blow out, still secure it to be safe (and to save the motorcyclists out there, lol)

Comment

Originally posted by Dandy View Post
                            I have been thinking about picking up a Mission Reef Mat. Spendy, but inflatable so I could somewhat be stowed. I am sure it is a fairly heavy beast though.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
                            Fill it up with water and use it as ballast too!

Comment

Originally posted by TigeFamily View Post
                              I got my float pad at Sams Club early last summer for like $279....great price compared to paying between 500-800 retail for some brands! Its 8x15 tho I don't remember the brand but it is pretty thick and floats well even with 8 people on it. We used it a LOT last summer and couple times this summer and still looks new, I always open it and make sure it dries after we get home to keep it from mildewing. Also fairly heavy when rolled up.....BlackoutATX, how does the bimini hold that weight, do you lay it up there rolled up, or laid out?
                              I do same thing when towing to lake tho, just lay it on floor in back of boat and strap it down in case of wind, but heavy enough that I highly doubt it could blow out, still secure it to be safe (and to save the motorcyclists out there, lol)
                              I have it rolled up. I use a ratchet strap through the center and to each rack. I try and make sure the weight of it is resting on the tower itself. I e done it probably 5-6 times without any problems. On the sun pad is definitely a better spot. But it's definitely in the way for any kind of water sports. The bow area on my rz4 is probably big enough to strap it up there too. But haven't tried that yet. I've only had it about a month.

The space it takes up is definitely a pain in the ***. But it's so nice to have at the cove. Miles easier to deal with over the giant inflatable I also have. I also don't see what people are talking about having trouble rolling it up. I almost always do it by myself. Maybe the more expensive pads are harder to deal with.
                              BABz - babzusa.com
                              Austin, TX

Comment

Working...
                              X