Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2005 24V Gas Leak

Hey guys, I need some insight here.

I have a small vapor trial of gas in the water behind the boat.

I've completely exposed the engine and checked all fuel lines for leaks. None noticeable.

I've primed all pumps looking for leaks, none visible.

Boat starts and idles just fine but the smell of gas is terrible along with the vapor trail behind the boat.

Drained all the oil and went back with 5 quarts of synthetic and new filters.

The old oil even smells like gas.

Haven't checked the spark plugs .. Could I have a bad cylinder? Which is why the gas is leaking out of the exhaust? This seems to be the only place it could possibly happen?

Could be a bad cylinder for sure. And sometimes it can be hard to hear a dead cylinder in a v8 engine. With the engine running, remove the injector harness connector to each injector one at a time. As you disconnect one you will hear the engine sound change a little. Put that plug back on and it will go back to normal. Move on to the next plug. Eventually you will come across one that will not change the sound of the engine when it's removed. That cylinder is likely getting fuel but no spark. This condition should set a check engine light and code for misfire.

Comment

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post
      Could be a bad cylinder for sure. And sometimes it can be hard to hear a dead cylinder in a v8 engine. With the engine running, remove the injector harness connector to each injector one at a time. As you disconnect one you will hear the engine sound change a little. Put that plug back on and it will go back to normal. Move on to the next plug. Eventually you will come across one that will not change the sound of the engine when it's removed. That cylinder is likely getting fuel but no spark. This condition should set a check engine light and code for misfire.
      Thank you! This will be my next attempt along with replacing the fuel filter before summer. I need to get her back to purrrrrrrrrrin!

Comment

I had a gas smell in my Sea Ray I/O a couple months ago, checked all my gas lines and could not find it, etc...it ended up being a small leak at my fuel/water separator filter and was not noticable at all. Only found it cause I went to remove it and felt a little gas on the side. Changed it and it was all good after that...just a thought. More likely what you mentioned above, but worth a look.

Comment

Originally posted by TigeFamily View Post
          I had a gas smell in my Sea Ray I/O a couple months ago, checked all my gas lines and could not find it, etc...it ended up being a small leak at my fuel/water separator filter and was not noticable at all. Only found it cause I went to remove it and felt a little gas on the side. Changed it and it was all good after that...just a thought. More likely what you mentioned above, but worth a look.
          Thank you - Will check that as well.

Comment

Possible stuck injector or spark plug not firing.
            Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Update: Replaced all the spark plugs. Seems to be a loose plug that had exhaust stain all over it due to unsecured threads. I will self tap the hole and use the repair kit to fix the threads. Then reinsert the plug.

On a side note, I changed out the fuel/water seperator filter today. I literally could not get the bottom of the canister to unscrew. Yes, I removed the bottom bolt before doing so. I actually bent the frame holding the housing, kind of funny. I had to completely remove all hose connections and unplug the wiring harness. I unscrewed the top thus removing the actual pump housing. I took the cylinder to my vice, used a nylon strap to remove the housing using BOTH levers WITH cheaters. Took myself and my buddy who is 6'4" and stronger than a damn ox to unsieze the threads. It was ridiculous. Cleaned the housing real well, installed the new filter and o ring and put it all back together. What a wipping. This time it was hand tightened and checked for any leaks. I don't think it had ever been done because the old filter looked like the color of seasoned firewood - oops.

I bet she'll run like a corvette now.
              Last edited by TreyPresswood; 04-29-2017, 03:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TreyPresswood View Post
                Took myself and my buddy who is 6'4" and stronger than a damn ox to unsieze the threads. It was ridiculous.
                Been there! Sometimes the original oil filters are installed like that too. Makes you wonder if some people don't understand what a gasket does, or why it's there.

Comment

Many of the new Indmar raptors have been like that until they went to a paper cartridge that drops into housing. We asked Indmar's guru at factory training and he said every filter is installed with a torque wrench to some torque spec. We told him to have mongo dial his wrench down a click or two. Have had a few that I've just had to ram a large punch thru it and it still peeled back metal on filter and had to unbolt old housing. Mongoloids.

Comment

So true! Had the same issue with the oil filters - Now they are "hand tightened" .. The next guy that owns the boat will thank me

Comment

Unreal .. Makes a 10 min job turn into a 2 hour job. Brutal.

Comment

Working...
                      X