No announcement yet.

Engine surge Help! 350 mag mpi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, here's my latest update. I appreciate any further feedback. Checked all fuses and replaced the fuel pump relay because one of the points was burnt on the bottom but not all the way through. Replaced the relay and it fired right up and died with same symptoms after about a minute. Played around with the connector by the fuel pump and tried to move the wires into the pump around and tried again.

Boat started right up, idled perfect and ran fine for about 5-7 minutes without a problem. I shut it off. Tried again a few minutes later and the weak pump symptoms returned. I'm thinking out loud here that perhaps my connections at the pump are bad/rusted causing some resistance and heat on relay???

Any thoughts on whether to rework the connections vs the pump being toast? Also getting a slight click out of the relay now and still intermittent pump engagement when turning key on. Definitely fuel/electric to pump related but would the motor run for that long if the fuel pump was bad? I'm thinking I need to clean up the connections at the pump? Thought I had it but not quite.

Comment

Replace the pump. When they start going out they will draw more amps as it tries to keep up and can cause connector terminals to "burn" and sometimes melt down. Everything is pointing to a junk pump. Hopefully you can get sender and all in one. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks cbath. Went ahead and ordered pump. Anybody know how to find boatwakes write up on repclacing this pump? I'm sure I can slam my way through it but would be nice to have a reference. Thanks for all the replies. At least everything else appears to be in order during the 5 minute run today.

Great forum

Comment

It might be this one?
          http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...-MAG-MPI/page2
          Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Yup thats the one, thanks Mr. Allen, I should have dug around for it.
            Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Got it. Thanks. Looks like a fun time. Will report back hopefully when fixed or more likely when I need help.

Comment

Wanted to give an update. The fuel pump came in last week and finally had time to get going on it this evening. Went surprisingly fast. New pump installed easy. Sounded great compared to old pump. Took several rounds of key on and off and a few time cranking and it fired right up and ran perfect. Dropping in tomorrow. Thanks for all of the help and replies.

Comment

Sounds good. Fingers crossed for your trip tomorrow.
                  Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Working...
                  X