2007 24ve marine power 5.7 340hp spark plugs and oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2007 24ve marine power 5.7 340hp spark plugs and oil

This will be the first full season of having my 2007 24ve and i was seeing if I could get some help . I wanted to change the plugs and ,oil change . The plugs that are in the boat now are acdelco-41933 which they no longer make and were superseded with the acdelco 41-979 but the gap isnt the same on the 41-979 and i called marine power and they said to use acdelco mr43lts but a local marine shop suggested acdelco 41-993 any help on getting the correct plugs would be greatly appreciated. And also I was told to use mercury synthetic 25w-40 oil for an oil change is this the correct oil
    Thanks

There's a sticky in the mechanical section about oils. Seems most are running 10 or 15w 40. Use what kind you like, synthetics are better IMO but the important thing is changing oil frequently. Just depends how much money you wanna spend. I used valvoline synthetic 15w 40 last year. Seems lots of guys are running rotella which can be had on the cheap. I like to change all my fluids at the end of the season before storing so it sits with fresh fluids. I also take out the water pump impeller end of season and replace with a new one at the start of the year.
    I had my Tige' dealership recommend ac delco 41-933 as well.

Comment

ACDelco 41-993 Platinum Spark Plugs, Use on all 5.7L Catalyst Equipped engines. For Non-catalyst engines use the ACDelco MR43LTS spark plug.

Comment

Given that it is an MP engine, I would go with their recommendation especially if you were able to provide them with an engine serial number. They should be able to tell you all of the proper items required for service. Talk to them about what parts are required and then search the forum for the how tos, there is a lot of good documentation on this site for sercice of that motor.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
        "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

Thank you guys for the advice , The only reason I didn't go with what marine power said is when I called them and gave them my engine model and serial number the oil filter they sent me was not the one for my engine so I had to call them back and talk through with them again to get the correct one and they told me to use mobil 1 synthetic 15w-40 or castrol synthetic 15w-40 which I don't even think either of those company's make that oil at least that I could find so i was not ro confident in there advice I'm going to use the mercury 25w-40 that was recommended by 4 marine shops i called and the 41-993 plugs since I do have a catalyst equipped engine . Thanks again for your help

Comment

Originally posted by Travshearer View Post
            Thank you guys for the advice , The only reason I didn't go with what marine power said is when I called them and gave them my engine model and serial number the oil filter they sent me was not the one for my engine so I had to call them back and talk through with them again to get the correct one and they told me to use mobil 1 synthetic 15w-40 or castrol synthetic 15w-40 which I don't even think either of those company's make that oil at least that I could find so i was not ro confident in there advice I'm going to use the mercury 25w-40 that was recommended by 4 marine shops i called and the 41-993 plugs since I do have a catalyst equipped engine . Thanks again for your help
            Best oil for your engine is the Rotella T5 it's 15-40 synthetic and it's cheap I have been running this oil for around 200hrs flawlessly. I use a Napa gold oil filter.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Talked to marine power again they said a thicker weight oil tends to wear out the distributor gear so i suggested the rotella t5 15w-40 and they recommended mobil 1 synthetic 15w-50 so I guess I will give that a try

Comment

Anyone else ever use the mobil 1 15w-50

Comment

On a 2005 24VE with 5.7l engine, MP specifically states not to use multi viscosity oil. Then they state that 20-50 was ok. Their manual states to use either a straight 30 or 40 weight oil. That being said, the same year others (PCM and Indmar) recommend 15-40 oil for the exact same 5.7l block engine which is made by GM. We use 15-40 oil, non synthetic. Use a Fram ph30 filter or equivalent. Works just fine. Change oil once a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Travshearer View Post
                    How do you tell if your engine is catalyst equipped? I am also changing my spark plugs.

Comment

Look to see if you have catalytic converters on the exhaust. would be the easiest way.

Comment

Cat equipped exhaust manifolds are BIG. Non cat equipped will just have a regular ol exhaust manifold and riser.

Comment

Working...
                        X