Alpha E2 vs. Alpha Z Tower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpha E2 vs. Alpha Z Tower

Considering upgrading my RZR and found 2 for the same price. Only difference is the Tower. Looking for opinions between the differences from someone that has owned both.

Tower looks - I think the Alpha Z flows better. Looks to be designed with the bimini which we always use. E2 bimini looks to be an afterthought.
    Tower height - Additional height of E2 beneficial?
    LED's - E2 would have the lights on the side and Alpha Z just the 2 up top.
    Surf Bimini - I love the looks of the one on the Alpha Z and the pockets are great. I've learned how to open and close it pretty quick. E2 bimini is ugly imo but is it more functional? Does it have pockets or just straps? Easy to open and close?
    Surf racks - both non clamping. Any differences? Can u add a 2nd set to the E2? Clamping racks upgrade worth it?
    Power feature worth it? How fast is it? Does it fold below the windshield? I store in my garage and my current RZR just fits. I would be swapping over my 4 rev 10's. I do not have the Tige mounts, just the standard rectangle ones from wetsounds. Would this be a problem with the E2 or is there a Tige mount for the E2 like the Z had?

Basically I like the looks of the Alpha Z better but if the Alpha E2 has enough benefits, I may go this route.

Mike

I've had both. E2 is better. Hard to believe, cuz I always thought alpha z was pretty darn sturdy, but the E2 is even more so. It takes around 5 seconds to fold down. It sticks above the windshield just a little bit. I like the racks better on the E2 from the alpha Z. Never use a Bimini so I can't help you there. Always take mine off the boat as soon as I get it. Haven't put tower speakers on quite yet but I think the clamping will be the same as previous. I like how in the center of tower there is 2 tubes instead of being flat. The extra height is also quite nice. If you haven't seen the new tower in person get down and see it. That is only reason I can think of as to why you dont like the E2 better.

Comment

I do not think you can get the Alpha Z on a new boat; just E2
      Also, if height clearance is an issue (getting the boat in a garage with a 7 foot header), Alpha Z has a much lower clearance than the E2.
      So, you may not have a choice of tower if going new. I love the Alpha Z. I am not sold on the E2 tower.
      Good luck
      Nick
      Dayton, Ohio

Comment

I've had both and the make custom leds for both as well and the e2 in my opinion is better simply for the fact it's power and easier to install leds if you need led badges let me know I just put them on my new rzx2 and there bright
        surf till u die.

Comment

I don't know how and where you could have a 2016 at the same price of a 2017 ! but for my personal experience I bought a 2016 RZR last November. I could buy a brand new 2017 but the price was just too high compare to the leftover deal on the brand new 2016 the dealer offered me. I demo both of them.
          Yeah the new tower have pos and neg.
          - Like you I prefered the look of the 2016.
          But after couple months having it maybe the e2 tower worth it.
          Major difference is the electronic come down AND Come down forward and the 2017 can be stored in a 7ft. Door
          The alpha tower is kind of heavy and for storage I have to pull it down. It go backward and if you don't do it well it can mark your gelcoat on the side.. I put 2 microfiber and it's perfect but the E2 fit perfectly behind the windshield.
          The alpha Z does not pass in a 7ft. garage door too. You have to think about that if you store it somewhere in a house garage.
          So in the end yeah the e2 solved several problems that the Z had. It's just evolution haha.
          but personally I still prefered saving 8K and have the aplha Z with a FULLY loaded 2016 instead of a really basic 2017 (no transom, no docking lights and few other options).
          Last edited by Mike88; 04-13-2017, 07:13 PM.

Comment

I had 2 RZRs with Alpha Zs and both went in a standard 7 foot garage door.

Comment

I am sure I am among the minority, but I have never really cared for the AlphaZ or any other cast towers. Cast is more difficult to coat and to repair. I think this is why most of the manufacturers have switched to non cast towers with decorative plates on them. I also thought that the AlphaZ was really short for a tower on a wakeboat. If it were me, thinking long term, I would really go with the new tower. It seems like this is another improvement, in my mind, where Tige got it right.
              "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

Originally posted by NHarp1 View Post
                I do not think you can get the Alpha Z on a new boat; just E2
                Also, if height clearance is an issue (getting the boat in a garage with a 7 foot header), Alpha Z has a much lower clearance than the E2.
                So, you may not have a choice of tower if going new. I love the Alpha Z. I am not sold on the E2 tower.
                Good luck
                I have 8ft doors. I know I can drive my boat in and out with the engine hatch up so this should not be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by boardman74 View Post
                  I had 2 RZRs with Alpha Zs and both went in a standard 7 foot garage door.
                  I have a 7ft. Garage door and my 16 Rzr doesn't pass. Maybe it depends on the year and the trailer but mine was exactly 90inch with the tower down at his lowest. I had to rent a place somewhere else for storing it.
                  That's one of the reason why I change it for a Z1.
                  Last edited by Mike88; 04-14-2017, 01:24 AM.

Comment

I'm not a fan of the looks of the E2.

The power is not a big deal for me, but what I do like about the E2 is that it folds forward instead of backwards.

Only time will tell, but many people I've talked to caution about the powered towers. Apparently they can break easily if the servo's don't operate in absolute unison.

Haven't seen the bimini on the E2. The one of the Alpha Z is functional, but definitely a pain in the ***.....

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate View Post
                      The one of the Alpha Z is functional, but definitely a pain in the ***.....
                      YES it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate View Post
                        I'm not a fan of the looks of the E2.

The power is not a big deal for me, but what I do like about the E2 is that it folds forward instead of backwards.

Only time will tell, but many people I've talked to caution about the powered towers. Apparently they can break easily if the servo's don't operate in absolute unison.

Haven't seen the bimini on the E2. The one of the Alpha Z is functional, but definitely a pain in the ***.....
                        I didn't like the first sight of the E2 in pictures, but now that I own one I really like it, the Bimini takes about 30 seconds to put up.

Comment

Just my take as a tech that spend a lot of time in these boats, so far I like the E2 over the Alpha. Time will tell though. Really like how much taller and more square it is than the Alpha. It made it so the tower speakers are much more out of the way and to me feels like it makes moving around in the boat easier, especially for tall guys. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has gotten domed by a rev10 on an alpha tower.
                          Still haven't had the chance to take a 17 to the lake and tow off it yet though.
                          Last edited by freeheel4life; 04-15-2017, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Nav. Light is above the surfboard with the new bikini and new tower too.

Comment

Well thanks for all the replies guys. Appears the E2 has the edge. Just takes a little getting use too the looks. Just wish the E2 had a better looking bimini like the Alpha.

Comment

Working...
                              X