A Vent, and a Reminder to Shop Local

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Vent, and a Reminder to Shop Local

This is nothing more than a vent, and a reminder about why we should support our local shops. I recently purchased a Phase5 board from a large online retailer, it arrived on time, and it’s been a great board to ride. However, after a season of use the foam foot pads began to separate. It got worse as the season progressed, so I contacted the online retailer around August of last year to see about a warranty. Overall the experience was fine; they recognized the problem and contacted Phase5 on my behalf. I was told new pads would be sent, and they were; however I didn’t get them until closer to Christmas. No big deal since the season was long gone.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, the weather has been great and I’m getting ready to drag the boat over to my local shop to have it put back together for the season. In the process, I uncover my Phase5 board, and the box with the new foam pads. That evening, after I get my kids to bed, their lunches made and catch up with my wife, I decided to tackle my board. About 10 minutes into the project, I realize I’m way over my head. While the pad has begun to separate, it’s separating from itself, not from the board (two layers of foam are coming apart). I realize very quickly that removing the old pad was an enormous project, and suddenly I didn’t feel like my ‘warranty’ issue with the board was being handled much like a warranty. So the next day I contacted the online retailer, thanked them for getting new pads send to me, explained my problem and asked if I could send them the board so they could do the work. The answer I got was simple: no. Instead, I was told to contact Phase5 directly for instructions on how to remove the pad, and given a phone number. I called, got a voicemail, left a message and over a week later have not heard back from Phase5. Now I’m disappointed, to put it lightly. I find myself with a board that both the retailer and manufacturer have recognized has a warranty issue (hence they sent a new pad), but nobody is willing to step up and actually fix the problem. A couple of days later, I drag my boat to my local shop to get it summarized, and in the process I tell my Phase5 story to one of the guys in the shop. He tells me that it’s a long and tedious process to get the old pad off the board, and he must have read my mind (I’m thinking, ‘I’m a busy dad with no time for this project’) because he offered to do the work for me – at no charge! I have a history with these guys; I’ve purchased boards, services and other accessories for my boat from them, and the service has always been great, but now I’m suddenly embarrassed that I didn’t buy this Phase5 board from them too. I’m so embarrassed that I won’t let them do it for free. And if they won’t take my money, then they’re getting lunch delivered – like it or not.

Historically I’ve been a good customer to both this online retailer and my local shop, but it was my local shop that has won all of my business going forward. And this whole thing has reminded me of something very simple: If I don’t support my local shop in the future, then there is a chance I won’t have the opportunity to benefit from their ‘local service’ in the future. We’ve all seen this play out … the little guy gets run out of business because the big guy is a couple bucks cheaper, but when things go wrong that big guy can’t provide the same level of service. I’m not advocating for a boycott of the big guy; rather support for the local guy. The little guy can't get the bulk pricing that the big guys get, but they can more than make up for it with service.

Vent over. Go play!

Great story and a very good reason to stay local.

Years ago I owned a recreational sports shop. We did a lot of business and all my customers were very happy and delighted to stay local. At that time we were 70 miles away from 2 large towns. So I fought the fact that they could take a drive and maybe save a little cash. Those towns were where my competition came from. Many found out after the fact that they made mistakes and spent more in gas than they saved. Then it happened... Mail order. Mail order came around and killed me on pricing. And the Internet was not around yet. When it came to warranty work or returns the customer found out why buying local was important. Their issues were not easily taken care of or not at all. Being a good business man I offered help to those who went that route showing them that local service paid for itself in the long run.

Now we all know we can save by going over the internet and sometimes it is necessary. If you can't find it local then one needs to. I always buy local if I can and even use those like chptril our resident ballast and stereo guy.
    Last edited by Wakeman22; 04-13-2017, 05:42 PM.
    Wake Up or Stay On Shore!

Comment

When you post stuff like this it helps everyone else to name whom you had a bad experience with. That is unless you really just wanted to vent and let someone else make the same mistake. I've heard good things about Phase 5 customer service so this surprises me. Anyhow, that's cool that your local shop is hooking it up for ya. Good to know that some places still believe in good customer service and EARNING a customers loyalty.

Comment

Working...
      X