Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Coast Guard Standard: Secondary HIN Number

I got an email reminding me to renew my registration and noted this:

"Changes to hull identification number (HIN) standards effective January 1, 2017
    All state titled vessels must have a 12-character HIN that meets federal standards as required by the Coast Guard. See http://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/420739.pdf."

I'm not near my boat so I can't check, but I don't remember seeing a second HIN number (other than the one on the transom). Anyone know if they have a secondary HIN number on an older boat?

"Changes to hull identification number (HIN) standards effective January 1, 2017
    All state titled vessels must have a 12-character HIN that meets federal standards as required by the Coast Guard. See http://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/420739.pdf."
    I dont get the 2nd HIN part of it?
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

^^^Neither do I. Is it a different number or just the same number placed somewhere else on the boat?
      You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

meh. like anything with the gov't it'll only apply to boats being built going forward. I would be very surprised if they require boats built prior to the enacted rule to add a second hin.

I would bet the reason has to do with theft and peeps trying to change the hin and pass the boat off. or at least the cg's thought that is happening.

if you think about it on a car, your vin on newer cars is primarily on the dash placard but is also on several other stickers around the vehicle on jams/under hood and some engine parts so no surprise that this would happen.
        2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
        2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Don't know how many years back it goes or how consistent Tige has been about it, but I've run across some newer Z series that will have the HIN on a label laid in-between glass and the resin in the spotters locker on the underside of the glove box. Be interested to find out when they started doing it.

Comment

In NC, they started giving out a 2nd registration sticker and starting in Jan of 2017....you must now have that sticker on BOTH sides of boat. (So DNR can see it from either side of boat instead of just the 1).
            I may be wrong...but am thinking this is what they are referring to maybe?

Comment

Lol. Still haven't got my registration numbers... over 300 hours later...

Comment

don't bring your boat to the lower mainland then, my bro in law was at fort langley testing his boat after some work, and no numbers and got a warning and had to get the numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by TigeFamily View Post
                  I.but am thinking this is what they are referring to maybe?
                  if you go to the link provided from the OP, it is specific in the HIN, not the registration numbers.
                  2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
                  2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Dukesofhazzord. Yeah I know, as soon as we go somewhere I'll pick some up.

Comment

My 2016 has a number glassed in

Comment

ALL Vessels have their HIN stamped into the glass on the starboard quarter with the last two numbers representing the year of manufacture. However, the only secondary HIN I know about from any manufacturer is Meridian and it's hidden elsewhere in the boat. Coast Guard may have changed the rules for 2017 and newer built boats to require a secondary HIN but no older boats are required to follow this rule.
                        Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

You can add Tige to that list. I was crawling around the compartments the other day and noticed my HID number was glassed in. I think it was the front locker.

Comment

Tige has been stamping more than one HIN for years.

Comment

Working...
                            X