Acme 2277 vs 1941 for 2016 Z3 with 440....looking for opinions and thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acme 2277 vs 1941 for 2016 Z3 with 440....looking for opinions and thoughts

OK...So I'm going to round out my prop quiver this summer. For usage, I am pretty much moving away from surfing as the pain in the butt factor to how much I enjoy it factor is too great. I get I have a boat designed for surfing but I could really care less about it. That said, if your boat is all set up with the 4000lbs ballast, 10-12 hrs of dial in time and the tractor prop it takes to make a sweet wave, I'm more than happy to hop in

In any case, use will be for foiling (~22mph), wakeboarding (18-20mph), recreational slalom (33mph), wake skating (21-22mph), wake scootering (14-15mph) and maybe for wakefoiling if I can convince myself to spend $1500 on a foilboard. Don't really ballast up too much and typically have 6-10 people on the boat +/- a few small kids.

I am at 4800 feet typically but do occasionally go to 8600 feet.

I already have a 2219 (15" x 12 pitch) that I took off because it was just to low. It would be great if all I did was surf. I bought an OJ 948 last yr (15" x 14 pitch) that still has great hole shot even with a load of people and hits 39 mph at WOT of ~5500 RPM.

Soo, I'm thinking I might want to try out a more speed based prop. Hole shot is still important because we slalom. Has anyone tried out the 2277 (15" x 15.75 pitch) or the 1941 (14.5" x 15.5) props?

Originally posted by Bakes5 View Post
    OK...So I'm going to round out my prop quiver this summer. For usage, I am pretty much moving away from surfing as the pain in the butt factor to how much I enjoy it factor is too great. I get I have a boat designed for surfing but I could really care less about it. That said, if your boat is all set up with the 4000lbs ballast, 10-12 hrs of dial in time and the tractor prop it takes to make a sweet wave, I'm more than happy to hop in

In any case, use will be for foiling (~22mph), wakeboarding (18-20mph), recreational slalom (33mph), wake skating (21-22mph), wake scootering (14-15mph) and maybe for wakefoiling if I can convince myself to spend $1500 on a foilboard. Don't really ballast up too much and typically have 6-10 people on the boat +/- a few small kids.

I am at 4800 feet typically but do occasionally go to 8600 feet.

I already have a 2219 (15" x 12 pitch) that I took off because it was just to low. It would be great if all I did was surf. I bought an OJ 948 last yr (15" x 14 pitch) that still has great hole shot even with a load of people and hits 39 mph at WOT of ~5500 RPM.

Soo, I'm thinking I might want to try out a more speed based prop. Hole shot is still important because we slalom. Has anyone tried out the 2277 (15" x 15.75 pitch) or the 1941 (14.5" x 15.5) props?
    Bakes,

Call Oj and send that thing in. Tell him what you want and he will tweak it for what you need. I think he can a lot with that 948 you have.
    Germaine Marine
    "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

the acme 1235 seems to be a big hit with people as well, I had it to start and it wasnt enough down low when Im loaded up with a ton of weight, but it handled factory ballast etc just fine and did around 42 ish on top.
      Germaine Marine

Comment

1235 is too close to what I already got with the OJ 948 and I kinda want to add to the quiver so I have a tractor prop, all rounder and "speed" prop. Speed is not really the right word...maybe cruising prop is better. I kinda want to be able to cruise out to good water at 30 mph at about 3500-3600 RPM. My current 948 gets me 30 mph at 3872 RPM. Not bad but I want a little more. Since I don't use heavy ballast I think I can get away with a 15.5-16 pitch prop.

I'm gonna have to just bite the bullet and get one to see how it does. Just trying to figure out which one. I'm leaning towards the 2277 but wonder if the slightly smaller diameter and pitch of the 1941 would still give me a boost without requiring as much from the engine. The local dealers don't really have many 15 to 16 pitch props lying around to try out.

Comment

I am pretty much moving away from surfing as the pain in the butt factor to how much I enjoy it factor is too great.
          Do you mind sharing with us why you feel this way? Not trying to change your mind at all, just curious. Your boat has to be 100 times easier than mine to get ready for surfing and no doubt throws a much better wave, yet I still love surfing. I don't mind the manual filling of the ballast or the switching of the suckgate. So whats the problem?

Comment

^^^ Just different strokes. For me, I love to slalom, foil and wake skate. My kids like all the same but wakeboard, kneeboard and tube as well (*tubing has to be earned and only for short periods). I do like to surf but it's just so much work compared to just changing out the board and maybe the rope. Biggest issue for me is the fact that my boat requires full ballast and 400lbs of lead on each side to get a great wave. That means a low speed tractor prop, no storage space and the opportunity cost of not doing things I really like to do like slalom and foil. Some people love the challenge of setting up the boat...I hate the inconsistency and having a great wave one day and a lame wave the next day. I also hate that all the weight requires a prop that limits my other activities....and the loss of storage. I guess if I wasn't already tainted by slalom and foiling I would have a different view.

In the end, really need 2 boats these days....actually 3. Need the pontoon basecamp/hangout pad, the beater closed bow ski boat and the wake/surf boat. Since I only have 1, I have to make compromises to get what I really want the most. That means a bigger boat for more people at the expense of my slalom wake and that means a high pitched prop that makes 7 out of 8 things we do better....and the 8th thing just doesn't really get us excited.

Just my opinion. All about trade offs and what I enjoy doing the most. YMMV.

Comment

^^^ Just different strokes. For me, I love to slalom, foil and wake skate. My kids like all the same but wakeboard, kneeboard and tube as well (*tubing has to be earned and only for short periods). I do like to surf but it's just so much work compared to just changing out the board and maybe the rope. Biggest issue for me is the fact that my boat requires full ballast and 400lbs of lead on each side to get a great wave. That means a low speed tractor prop, no storage space and the opportunity cost of not doing things I really like to do like slalom and foil. Some people love the challenge of setting up the boat...I hate the inconsistency and having a great wave one day and a lame wave the next day. I also hate that all the weight requires a prop that limits my other activities....and the loss of storage. I guess if I wasn't already tainted by slalom and foiling I would have a different view.

In the end, really need 2 boats these days....actually 3. Need the pontoon basecamp/hangout pad, the beater closed bow ski boat and the wake/surf boat. Since I only have 1, I have to make compromises to get what I really want the most. That means a bigger boat for more people at the expense of my slalom wake and that means a high pitched prop that makes 7 out of 8 things we do better....and the 8th thing just doesn't really get us excited.

Just my opinion. All about trade offs and what I enjoy doing the most. YMMV.
              Or an rzx2...
              Germaine Marine

Comment

I hear ya, until you have the time in really getting it right it can be inconsistent. If you arent a die hard surfer then the time to get there would be a waste so I get it. Get your cruising prop and be happy. I still say call OJ and ask them if they can work your prop since you already have a tractor. They have done some amazing things for me over there.
                Germaine Marine

Comment

Working...
                X