5 Days at Disney vs. 5 Hours on Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 Days at Disney vs. 5 Hours on Lake

Thought this was worth sharing for all the dads on the forum....

So my wife, 3 kids (ages 15, 10, and 7) and I recently spent 5 days at Disneyland for spring break. It was of course a very good time together and it was all of our first time there. When we returned to southern AZ it was quite warm, in the low 90's. We got back from Disney late Wednesday night and ended up on the boat Saturday. Luckily it was all ready to go other than cleaning the dust off the seats. We spent a partial day on the lake totaling about 5 hours. The surface water temp was 62. We did our normal routine of wakeboarding first, beach/hangout , tubing, and jumping off some small cliffs.

When we got back to the house I got everything all rapped and put away. When I went inside there was a homemade card from my 7 year-old daughter on the kitchen table. It read "Thanks for taking me to the lake" and it had some coloring designs and a set of lips on it indicating her kissing me on the cheek. I was taken back considering the vacation we had just been on and the day trip being to the smallest lake we go to!

I'd like to report that I did not receive and cards post Disney!

We are very blessed to be part of the boating community and part of the Tige family.

The secret to Disney is to not go to Disney. Your daughter sounds very smart and has her priorities in place.

Comment

That's pretty awesome my 7 year old son has been around boats all his life but they have always made him nervous well I bought my own boat this January took it out last week and he was having a blast and it's all he talks about. My wife went to his school for something and on the wall was a picture he drew of our boat saying favorite thing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Best family time ever...the lake that is.

Comment

I need my wife to join the forum... She thinks going to Disney for 3 days is going to be the best time ever for us... She also holds boat trip above my head stating that we ALWAYS do what I want.. So I am going to suck it up and shell out the thousand or more dollars to do as she wishes... We will see how happy that place is compared to our water vacations. Your daughter is a Princess in my book! Good Story!

Comment

My 8 and 5 year old daughters love the lake......but unfortunately it doesn't hold a candle to Disney, at least not yet. I took them to Disneyland last November and for what I shelled out for 4 days I could have 4 new surf boards right now

Comment

Seriously....I know the kids love Disney but I just hate it. I know I'm a bad dad, but they can just go on their own later on. On their own dime. Without me.

That said, I do like Disney and cruises for 1 simple thing, they keep people distracted and off the lake a little bit. Kinda the way Breckinridge keeps all the Texans off the real mountains.

So, to be clear....I love that lots of people love Disney, cruises and Breckinridge.

Comment

I am not sure what you all have against Disney, don't get me wrong, I love being on the water too. Honestly, I would prefer going to Disney over a few days on the boat. We do try to do Disney different - either a Disney Cruise or....
                Disney Aulani.jpg
                Disney Aulani Resort in Ko Oline, HI

This is the way to Disney!
                "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

^^^ And that is why I love Disney. Anywho, good news is that it's OK and probably even healthy for your relationship with your wife and kids to like Disney. There are just about 42,000 other things I would rather spend my time and money on. I see that and I think, chartered sailing cat for 4 days in the Keys or the above. Both are great choices, for me though, the sailing cat away from the Disney crowds is far more appealing.

Different strokes. YMMV

Comment

Originally posted by h2osk8er00 View Post
                    So I am going to suck it up and shell out the thousand or more dollars to do as she wishes... We will see how happy that place is compared to our water vacations. Your daughter is a Princess in my book! Good Story!
                    Mike, you have to do Disney to say you have done it (and give the wife a reason to see that the boat trip really is more enjoyable).

It just makes my cup of joy overflow when my kids ask when they can go to the lake next. I guess it is just that time of life for my family. Five years ago, it would have been different, but now my kids are 16, 12 and 9 and they are getting into more of the watersports vs just the old kneeboard and dumb tube, thus the increased desire to hang on the boat. There is a time in life for Disney, however many of us on this forum have graduated from the Disney years. I, like many others, love that my kids would rather spend a day on the lake or a week long vacation at Lake Powell over anything else.

Thanks for sharing jimidemo

Comment

I grew up going to the lake and I cannot ever remember my family not owning a boat. I always felt blessed that my family made vacations a priority every year to spend good quality time together. They took us to Disney World, Disney Land, and many other places but the one vacation I remember the most is packing up and heading to a lake in South Texas and tent camping and enjoying our time on the boat. I've always felt the same way with my wife and 3 kids and to this day no matter what money we spend on extravagant vacations our kids still love our time at the lake. We're very fortunate to live around so many lakes in the Dallas area so we try to hit several lakes during the season to enjoy all of it. Great story jimidemo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What a great story!!! Thanks for sharing. It gives me hope that our 2 boys ages 13 and 11 will feel the same way soon. We have always been a huge Disney fan family and five Disneyland annual passes several years and even the big trip to Disney World, but now we are new to boating and surfing. The older boy can surf so he likes it but only when it's warm and the younger would still rather be doing anything with electronics. Hopefully they'll see the light this year

Comment

I have never been on a plane with my parents, but I have been to Lake Powell and Lake Mead with them probably upward of 20 times and those were the best memories I have of growing up, I barely remember going to Disneyland with them, I hope to get my girls to that stage as well!

Comment

When my first daughter was born I decided to spend a 'retarded amount of money' and bought a Tige 22V and a cottage on Lake of the Woods. Now the kids are 8 & 4 and even though we go to Disney World every single year (wife's parents live in Orlando) all my kids ever talk about is going to the lake.
                            There's something about being out on a boat that just makes people happy, I think it's the freedom and a sense of being one with nature.

Comment

I grew up in Southern Cal. We did Disney multiple times over the years. We also had a house at Lake Arrowhead. I do not remember much about Disney but I do know it was a fun time. But I do remember all the times we spent as a family on the lake. My kids grew up going to the lake camping, fishing and boating. They always wanted to go and never complained. They asked when will be the next time we are going to the lake.

What I can say that just about everyone that has kids and do the lake thing always say their kids love it. I now own a house on a lake and wish I had bought it earlier in my life. When ever I see the reflections on the water at night it brings back all the best memories I had growing up boating with my family and friends.

Very nice story Jim. Your daughter is a doll.
                              Wake Up or Stay On Shore!

Comment

Working...
                              X