Breaking in a new engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breaking in a new engine

Need some input...we bought a new 2017 Z1 and i'm wondering if there is a specific number of breakin hours before we start surfing. Any input?

Yes, the time it takes to get out of the ramp's no wake zone Yes, there are procedures outlined by the engine manufacturer. In reality, break-in is more about CYA. Honestly, how many of actually read and fallow the engine break-in on our cars and trucks? I dont and spent 18+ years as a professional auto technician. My 2002 275,000 mile chevy gasser SUV has been towing boats and cargo trailers from day one.

Modern engines are either put together right or the will grenade real quick. Break in has little barring and running the engine as its intended to be used, is not abuse.

Just the rambling thoughts of old grease monkey thats torn an engine or two down.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Yes, the time it takes to get out of the ramp's no wake zone Yes, there are procedures outlined by the engine manufacturer. In reality, break-in is more about CYA. Honestly, how many of actually read and fallow the engine break-in on our cars and trucks? I dont and spent 18+ years as a professional auto technician. My 2002 275,000 mile chevy gasser SUV has been towing boats and cargo trailers from day one.

Modern engines are either put together right or the will grenade real quick. Break in has little barring and running the engine as its intended to be used, is not abuse.

Just the rambling thoughts of old grease monkey thats torn an engine or two down.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Put it in the lake and go surfing or wakeboarding im with mike on this one and I've had numerous boats and have never had an issue.
        surf till u die.

Comment

Our break in period for a 2014 was 10 hours according to the owners manual. I cannot confirm or deny whether we followed that recommendation. I will, however, agree with chpthrils comments above.

Comment

Do people actually follow these guidelines? How are you supposed to go demo the boat if you do? Some people don't even put 20 hours in a season

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I figure I will be surfing the first day.

Comment

Sounds like I am in the minority here. I was overly conscientious of following the manufacturers guidelines on break in because the five year warranty was one of the key reasons why we chose to stay in the tige family. That said, we were able to get our 10 hours with limited RPM during the cooler spring season before the water temps were warm enough for us to get in and serve. Probably made my decision much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

*surf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It's true on our demo we loaded up the ballast for surfing and wakeboarding so I a, just going to stick to the recommended services for the new motor but I am going for it next time out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

It's an expensive toy to gamble with. I've always given any new or rebuilt engine on anything Ive owned a period of at least five hours of varying rpm not to exceed 75%. I baby all my stuff though. The way I figure is you spend all that dough on a toy it'd be a shame to effect the longevity of the engine because you can't wait just a tad longer to treat it right. Happy boating!

Comment

I agree it's an expensive toy to gamble with. I varied the speed and kept below 4K rpm for the first 10 hrs. Not sure if loading it up with ballast and friends on the 1st outing is the best idea IMO.
                        Steven Wellman, Tige owner since 2017

Comment

I say break it in how you're gonna use it. That's just my opinion.

Comment

I'm mixed on this one. Racing engines don't get meticulous break-ins -- they are hooked up to a dyno and away they go. Every engine I've ever built, at most, gets an hour of being nice before being used. That said, cars and boats are a bit different.

I was planning on being fairly nice to ours for the first few hours at least; then came deliver day. Our dealer took us to the lake, dropped it in, idled around until it was up to operating temp, and then dropped the hammer, all the way up to 5k. At least if I do have any issues, if they question the break-in, I have an out, since they would be doing my warranty work anyway.

Honestly, I'll take the stance that solid preventive maintenance will give you more years than following any given break-in. If there is a bad ring that isn't seating correctly, being gentle won't fix it. And if you flex a ring a bit too much before it has a solid wear pattern, I doubt you would ever notice the difference in oil consumption. Use good oil, good filters, good gas, etc., and it will be good to you.

Comment

Surf it, Wakeboard it, Enjoy it...

Comment

Working...
                              X