Custom TV Mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom TV Mount

I have a project underway and I've reached a problem. I'm trying to mount a TV to the Alpha Z Tower. Now before you all call me crazy, this will be used very infrequently, always in calm waters, and never underway. The project idea came about last year. I took the RZ4 on Lake Austin to watch the Dell Match Play at the Austin Country Club. The layout of the course allows you to get very close to the action. While my buddies and me had a blast, we couldn't help but think how great it would be to have a TV out there to help follow the action. With it coming up again in a few weeks, here I am.

I have all the wiring done. I've figured out how to get live TV to the boat. But I can't get anyone to fabricate a mount for me. The main requirement is for it to be easily detached. The mount I found below has a quick detach system I think would be perfect. I don't mind having part of it permanently mounted to the tower. But definitely not the whole thing. If it could even clamp to the tower instead of bolting up, even better.

I have other ideas of what it should look like. But does anyone on here know how to get this thing built? Everyone around here I've contacted either doesn't want to take it on, or is swamped with other work.

http://store.earmarkcaraudio.com/Xca...cat=290&page=1
    BABz - babzusa.com
    Austin, TX

How big of a TV are you planning on using? You could just make some clamps that would go around the tower out of wood and spray it black. Notch the clamps to the shape of the tower.

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
      How big of a TV are you planning on using? You could just make some clamps that would go around the tower out of wood and spray it black. Notch the clamps to the shape of the tower.
      That is actually a hell of an idea. I haven't decided on a size. But as large as a 46inch will fit comfortably in between the 410s
      BABz - babzusa.com
      Austin, TX

Comment

What are people's opinions on integrating a swivel rack? Would the tv be too heavy? You could fabricate up some sort of bracket that slides onto the forks. At first I thought you were crazy but this could be kinda cool! I think you should go all out and hang a projector screen!

Comment

Y not get something like this and then run a projector mounted to the tower. seems you can have both cheaper than the price of that mount you are looking at. also the screen would then be able to fold up for easy storage and then you could take the projector and put in something like a Pelican case

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sima-72-...1KQaAl_38P8HAQ

Comment

The only problem with a projector is they do not do well outside in the sunlight. Although the location of the screen is going to be under the bimini, I would worry about not having a great picture with a projector.

I've been thinking about this tonight, and this is an option I've come up with.

Using wood blocks and a standard ceiling mount, this may work. This is the side view. Green=tv... blue=ceiling mount... red=wood blocks... purple=bolts

IMG_1990.jpg

This is a front view. For stability and because of the location of the nav light, two attachment points would probably be better.

IMG_1991.jpg

This method might not be the quickest attach/detach system. But it still wouldn't take long. It would also be less than $100 for the mount and wood. I'll keep working this, but I think I'm on the right track here. I've also thought about using ratchet straps instead of bolts.
            Last edited by BlackoutATX; 03-10-2017, 06:47 AM.
            BABz - babzusa.com
            Austin, TX

Comment

if it were me and bimini was not needed at that time, I'd take pipe and use the holes in the rear of the tower that the bimini goes in. come out 2 or 3 inches, turn 90deg and connect them up, basically like a bar you could hang on to. then mount a flat plate to that and mount tv to plate. when not in use, just pull the pipe out of the bimini holes. you would have to ensure it wouldn't get bumped and come out. could also angle said bar up a tad to raise it if you liked.
              2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
              2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

just a real quick sketch but make a C that would clip over the tower, then have the TV mount on the other side on a hinge so it would stay in place if a wave hit the boat but be easy to remove without adding anything to the tower itself. The hinge would also could act as the angle adjustment if you could lock it down somehow. Anyways just a thought.

Untitled.jpg

Comment

We use a mini projector and sheet for a screen. Works great.

Frankly I think a 46" TV on the boat is crazy....but I like crazy so go for it. I have a simple rule, if my wife shakes her head like I'm crazy, I'm probably on the right track.

Why not just use straps that lash onto the holes in the left and right sides of the tower? I would be hesitant to use a rigid mounting system with how much the boat will rock back and forth. Then put a couple on the bottom to stabilize and help with vertical alignment. Real question is what are you gonna do with it driving around the lake?

Anywho....I still say use a projector and get creative with blocking the ambient light so you can see it better.

Comment

All Great ideas, here is one more just because this is what I use on my toy hauler.
                    https://www.itosolutions.net/Ergotro...shoppingengine

Its just a small bracket that you would hard mount, then the TV just slides into the mount. I have a 28" TV that I put on mine and its very sturdy. You can get swivel brackets that plug in as well so you can pivot the TV as needed. Should fit nicely under the bimini and give good shade to see it if you go LCD.
                    My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by sandm View Post
                      if it were me and bimini was not needed at that time, I'd take pipe and use the holes in the rear of the tower that the bimini goes in. come out 2 or 3 inches, turn 90deg and connect them up, basically like a bar you could hang on to. then mount a flat plate to that and mount tv to plate. when not in use, just pull the pipe out of the bimini holes. you would have to ensure it wouldn't get bumped and come out. could also angle said bar up a tad to raise it if you liked.
                      Thats a great idea. Although I'd like to keep the bimini up or at least the ability to put it up. It will shade the TV to help with a better picture. But some kind of piggybacking may work.

Originally posted by Ruger761 View Post
                      just a real quick sketch but make a C that would clip over the tower, then have the TV mount on the other side on a hinge so it would stay in place if a wave hit the boat but be easy to remove without adding anything to the tower itself. The hinge would also could act as the angle adjustment if you could lock it down somehow. Anyways just a thought.

[ATTACH]45116[/ATTACH]
                      Well thats much better looking than my drawings haha. The only thing I would worry about with this design is the height of the TV with the bimini on. Also, I feel like this would put a lot of stress on the c clamp to want to rotate around the tower. How would you secure the C clamp?

Originally posted by jtryon
                      what are you doing to get live TV in the boat? i've thought of doing this in the past as well.
                      I have unlimited data with Directv and ATT. So I'll be streaming to the tv form my phone via an apple tv. I can use any of the apps, including the directv app. I also have a sling box setup that works pretty good. Its not perfect and all depends on what kind of signal you have. But I've used this setup several times on road trips and 90% of the time it works great.

Originally posted by Bakes5 View Post
                      We use a mini projector and sheet for a screen. Works great.

Frankly I think a 46" TV on the boat is crazy....but I like crazy so go for it. I have a simple rule, if my wife shakes her head like I'm crazy, I'm probably on the right track.

Why not just use straps that lash onto the holes in the left and right sides of the tower? I would be hesitant to use a rigid mounting system with how much the boat will rock back and forth. Then put a couple on the bottom to stabilize and help with vertical alignment. Real question is what are you gonna do with it driving around the lake?

Anywho....I still say use a projector and get creative with blocking the ambient light so you can see it better.
                      Really? I always assumed projectors and outdoor in the sun did not mix. I may bring this in as an option. I would need to figure out a way to keep the sheet from blowing all over the place or possible mount something else up there. The bimini also might be enough shade to help out quite a bit. Where would you put the actual projector?

The 46in sounds crazy. But I think it will actually look pretty good. I had some buddies hold it up there to see what it would look like. If you can hide the mount and wiring, it actually doesn't look half bad. The good thing about the 46 is I already have one in my bedroom. So moving it to the boat when needed is an easy, free process.

I've also thought about incorporating some kind of straps into this to give it a little bit of room to wiggle around. My only worry is it will knock against the speakers. As far as driving around the lake. It will probably be wrapped in some towels and put right in the walkway. Again, when the tv is out there we probably won't be doing a lot of surfing or running around.
                      BABz - babzusa.com
                      Austin, TX

Comment

You could probably use some lateral straps that bund it left and right to keep it from hitting speakers. So 6 total straps. One from each corner and a left and right lateral locator strap. Just build a frame that goes into the wall mount points and your in business.

Comment

or just buy this:
                          2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
                          2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

^^^^ Seen that boat at Havasu
                            My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by sandm View Post
                              or just buy this:
                              That is pretty awesome haha.
                              BABz - babzusa.com
                              Austin, TX

Comment

Working...
                              X