Surfboard $400-500 Range?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surfboard $400-500 Range?

So the wife asked me to narrow down my search for surfboards which is usually a good sign that she is looking to surprise me

In the past I have asked about the Ronix Carbon Thruster but that thing is still hovering over $500 on Evo.com and it's a 2 yr old board. I'm trying to keep it as close to $400 as possible because I plan on upgrading the sound system as well and don't want to eat into that budget with the board...

Would a Doomswell Drone (blem) 4'10" be an equivalent to the thruster?

I've also looked at some of the other Ronix Technora boards which I guess is the replacement for their carbon boards but they are all still $500+. I feel like a Doomswell Drone for $400 is a pretty good deal.

I ride a LF Fish right now so I've been told that pretty much anything will be a step up lol

I'm 6'2" ~220......

Triple x- http://triplexsurfandskim.com/?c=19395/Wakesurfers

Comment

The Drone and the Neo are both great boards! Really fast with good pop. I have never rode the thruster so I cant answer if it is equal to or better than. I do have one of the blem boards they were selling and I love it!

Comment

I would definitely try and get in to the Doomswell over the Ronix type boards. I'm about the same height and weight as you and a 4'10" should be fine providing you got a good wave going. Be aware that a board like the Doomswell will need to be ridden. What I mean by that is you have to work the board more and you will probably need to ride a bit more front foot weighted than what you may be used too currently. I came from a Hyperlite Broadcast to my Soulcraft and I definitely have to work the Soulcraft a lot more which is a good thing as that's what you are back there to do. If you want to stand there and do nothing get back on your LF Fish. Even if you get a Ronix or similar type board today at some point you will still want to make the final leap to a Soulcraft/Doomswell,Chaos etc. type board.

Comment

I have a Doomswell Neo. Kickass board. Considering the msrp is $675 for those boards....and a "blemish" board is the same thing, only with some small blem that does not matter...think you would be crazy to not get the Drone for $400. I was looking at it myself a week ago. Only reason I did not is cause I love the Neo so much already and have around $1,000 of other stuff I wanna get in next couple weeks including some transom LED lights. So decided to stick with my Neo for now. Hear good things about the Hybrid boards tho (Nubstep is the 2017 version...drone is the 2016 version).
          For a price like that, even if you dont love it, you could EASILY sell it for the $400 you pay, maybe even more. Bet you wont be able to say that about any of the others!
          Side note....if you get a Doomswell, keep it out of the extreme heat, or buy a bag for it (I bought the bag).
          Also....if anyone wants a brand new 2017 Doomswell. Best prices out there are on Nauticurl.com. They have all the 2017 models for $599. You can find them for cheaper than $675 anywhere else except the couple blemish boards that Doomswell has on their main website.

Comment

FYI...they have a weight chart on Doomswell.com, but I think a 4' 10" in the Drone should do you well. I am 205....my Neo is 4' 8" and is rated "up to" 250lbs. Cant imagine how that size would not work for you.

Comment

Not to throw a wrench in the works, but have you tried calling Nick at Chaos Surf Co? He has blem boards that he sells at discounted rates as well.... I demo'd a Doomswell and ultimately bought a Chaos and couldn't be happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

^ Nope but they were on the list as well......I think it's Doomswell and Chaos as the top choices....weird question, are these boards safe to store on the bimini sleeves? I have a 2017 R21 that has the 2 pockets sewn into the bimini and I have read these nicer boards are much more delicate than your off the shelf stuff....

Comment

I bought a bag with my Chaos that is reflective on one side, I put the bag in my Z3 surf Bimini and the put the board in that. Seems to be working so far. They are definitely more delicate than your LF Fish, but they ride so much better!! For comparison, my good friend has the red/black Ronix carbon thruster, 5'6". I bought the ringer XL from Nick for myself. The Ringer Is faster down the line, easier to carve, and much more responsive.

Comment

Brigade bomber in the right sleeve with a surf sock, Chaos Ringer in left sleeve with Chaos bag and the Ronix in the left surf rack. The bag helps keep the sun off the board nicely.

Comment

Definitely try and go with best right off the bat, because you will soon, I started with a ronix koal power tail and now a soulcraft, no comparison, but like bcrider says, you need to ride them, but thats what makes it so much more fun.

Comment

I would suggest going with something like a custom...the doomswell is a much better choice than the ronix!!!

Custom boards are GREAT! BUT they are not bulletproof. They need care and attention. They ding a lot easier.

Fin configuration can make a HUGE difference. If you are a little unsteady on your feet add some big fins..when you feel a bit more stable then take some fins out or get smaller/agile fins..

Comment

I've been surfing on a Ronix Carbon Thruster and a Ronix Blender, I've been doing a lot of research this winter and have been leaning toward getting the Doomswell NEO, has anyone ridden the Ronix boards and the NEO? I'm looking for some type of comparison before I drop $600 on a board I have never ridden!!

Comment

From WW: As I understand it, the doom crew no longer builds any custom boards or more specifically USA builds. They closed up the Texas shop and sold off much of the equipment. They are 100% overseas construction, just factory reproduced models, from the south pacific or middle east, whatever. It is nice of them to support the middle east's economy while petrochemical jobs are tanking here in the US. It seems they simply maintain a fulfillment warehouse in Texas, which stores factory boards that are stacked before shipping to dealers or direct customers. I've been told it was a business decision largely made by the financial backers. That could be wrong.

Going forward they may not be the boards they once were.

Comment

Sorry for high jacking your thread. I also have a lf fish. I do not like it. My boat dealer only sells lf and gives me a good deal on the boards. I am looking at a happy pill, Slaysh and dart. Am I wasting money buying any of them.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X