Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2007 RZ2-- Any ideas how to remove my cupholders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2007 RZ2-- Any ideas how to remove my cupholders?

So like the title says, i'm looking for anybodies ideas on how to get my cupholders out. They must have been glued in with some pretty powerful stuff because i can't get them to budge. Its only the 6 cupholders down by the floor that are the issue. The others came out no problem. I tried running a razorblade around the lip to cut the glue, but that seemed to have little or no effect. In some places they're in so tight i can't get a razor in there. Pushing from the bottom doesnt help either. These things are really in there. I was thinking about trying a heat gun but i'm a little worried about accidentally melting something i don't want to in the process.

I was all excited, i have a few days here with no work so i was going to start my winter projects. One of which was to make LED cupholder rings. Now i can't get half of them out. Its a little annoying.

They could have been glued in by the dealer/owner or they were some of the ones that were knocked in, therefore they are a very tight. You may have to destroy one to get one out so you know what you are dealing with. Concerns me the others came out easy and these 6 do not. Really thinking the dealer or previous owner glued them in.
    Oh Yeah!

Comment

I managed to get one out. I got a screwdriver under the lip of one and pried till it started to move a bit. Sure enough someone added a little glue to them. Even after i got it pulled away from the glue it was still in there very tight. If i do 5 more that way its going to be a long night. I think i'll try a heat gun and a prybar from underneath. Problems like this just drive me nuts.

Comment

Most manufactures glue them in from the factory or at least use a double sided tape ring. Use a narrow putty knife with some tape around it to protect the gel. just insert it around to cut the bond.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

These ones had that double sided tape but at some point they had been removed and glued back in place. I did get them all, but it took almost five hours with a few beer, smoke and cursing breaks worked in there. The ones that gave me trouble were pretty tight to the wall so i wasnt able to work a blade or skinny putty knife all the way around. In the end a heat gun and pushing from the bottom with a pry bar got them loosened enough to get them out. One was a real pain and i used a 24" pipe wrench to turn it until the glue let go. That one will have to be replaced. Anyways, i guess i can start my LED project now.

Comment

yes, those with the double sided tape ring only work once and a little silicone is sometimes needed to seat them when reinstalled.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Working...
            X