Tips on buying a new/used Hydro Hoist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips on buying a new/used Hydro Hoist?

Think I'm finally going to get a slip this year to make it easier to hit the lake during the week.

The Marina wants as much monthly to rent a lift as they do for the slip itself.

Any idea on how much a new Hydro Hoist Ultralift 2 6600 lbs is? Been trying to get a quote and people seem unresponsive.

I started looking for a used one, but with out a reference as to how much they are new, I have no idea what price range I should be looking for.

Also, how feasible is it to buy a used lift on a different lake, disassemble, and then move to my lake? I know the Marina I'm looking at requires that they do the install. Still waiting for them to quote me a price of that.

Detonate,
    I'm in the same situation as you are. It's like finding hen's teeth getting actual quotes from some of the vendors. I just got off the phone with a shop in Illinois, he was quoting $7500 for a 6600 installed. Moving a lift from St. Louis to Shelbyville was $140/hr shop time 1-2 days depending on how many changes they had to make to make it fit the new location.

Comment

That helps put it in a little perspective. The used one I was looking at was $5,500 and an hour away installed in someone's slip.

If I can just get a new one installed, with warranty, etc... for around $7,500 and then sell it to someone else in a few years for $5,500, that's probably worth it.

Now if only the Marina would get back to me with a quote!

Comment

Take a look at Air-Dock. 6600# capacity should be around $3K brand new, you can install it yourself, adjusts automatically for varying lake levels, removes easily for off-season storage, no contact with lakebed so no permits required, etc. I have three of them and there are two more on my lake. Everyone loves them. No, I don't work for them, I just love their solution.

Comment

My lake won't allow anything but a Hydro; check with your marina before you pull the trigger.

Comment

Are they specific as to that one name brand? ("Hydro") Because Air-Docks are the same concept... a standalone flotation system that uses air to lift the boat.

If the marina is totally brand-specific, I suspect they're the dealer or getting kickbacks or something. It's understandable to require a certain type of lift, but not to make it brand-specific.

Comment

What I was told was the "newer Poly Tank style" lifts.

Comment

The question is, are they seeking to avoid contact with the lake bottom, or do they actually care what material the air chambers are made of? You might be able to save yourself 50% of the cost if it's the former.

Comment

Similar issue at my Marina. Brand specific but they are not a dealer for that brand. I've heard it's because they try and keep a few basic odds and ends parts for the lifts in case someone has something fail and needs a part quick, like a big bolt, slide, cap, hose, or coupling. Those kinds of things. Could also be related to how the lifts attach to the docks.

Comment

Originally posted by trace View Post
                    Could also be related to how the lifts attach to the docks.
                    If that's their concern, they should prefer the airbag approach: The AirDock attaches to the dock via loose ropes! About as gentle as you can imagine. It's almost exactly like a kid's lake trampoline, tied off to the dock.

BTW, this would be much gentler on the dock if wind or waves caused it to bump into the dock. I presume the marina cares about their dock... would they rather have it being bashed by hard tanks, or by a cushy kid's trampoline inflated to just ~1 PSI? (Seriously, that's about the pressure with my 24Ve on it. I can't really step on the airbags because my foot just sinks right in.)

There are photos on AirDock's website. Maybe if they saw those, they'd have a change of heart. They may not even know such a system exists. Maybe once they see it, AirDock will become their "must use" choice!

Comment

Working...
                    X