introducing/training kids to ski & wakeboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

introducing/training kids to ski & wakeboard

My boys are 8 and 10 years old. Both love tubing behind the boat. This last year, I got the oldest up on the kneeboard and the youngest tried it a few times, but wasn't able to pull it off yet. Even the wife and I enjoy kneeboarding.

My boat is a '14 Regal 1900ES and, unfortunately it has no wake tower. So, all I can do is use she stern ski ring for water sports. I'm working toward buying a Tige; the justification for it is the expanded capabilities for watersports and entertainment over our current boat. I told my wife I'm going to gauge the kids' interest in skiing and wakeboarding this season and then reevaluate the need for a wake boat for next season.

To aid me in this quest, I've determined I need at least 2 things: a Sportsstuff 4K Booster Ball (to keep the ski rope from diving down into the boat's wake); an Airhead AHEZ-200 Big EZ Ski Trainer.

My question to you guys is, what's the best type of equipment to train my kids for skiing and wakeboarding? Will these 2 things suffice or should I not bother?
    While I don't already own a Tige, I'm aspiring to.

I've had good luck in the past with those EZ ski trainers. Depending on their size and ability, I would transition them to regular skis as soon as possible, just so they don't use it as a crutch.

I've gotten some pretty young kids up with the following routine; putting them on a trainer and leaning over the side of the boat, and just a decent idle to get them used to moving, but they feel comfortable right there beside you. Depending on your wash, you can let them out slowly as you pick up speed and they feel confident. Then, they get to 'deep water' start on the trainer until they're used to being at a moderate speed. And then I go to regular skis, with a tie between the tips if they tend to spread eagle. I try to find a very quiet area, and have someone get in the water with them (and a flag on their back). They are both moral support, and they hold the back of the skis up to help them plane out quicker. It's just a progression from there so that they learn to keep their knees bent and toes pointed to plane out on their own. I do the holding the back of the skis trick for new adults as well.

I learned (and taught a bunch of friends) behind an old beater I/O with a tow ring, no booster ball. It can be done, I just try to make it as least traumatic as possible so that they want to keep trying.

Oh, and I learned the hard way with one kid -- if you're doing the rope-off-the-side-of-the-boat, tie it to a fender (for flotation and retrieval) and not the boat. If you accidentally let go of too much at one time, they might not let go, and get a pretty tough yank. And obviously no coils in the boat, only on the back deck so that a passenger doesn't get caught, just good rope safety in general.

Comment

Not sure about the booster ball but we tow tubs, skiers, wakeslederz not from the tower at all (too much strain) from what I understand the tower should only be used for wakeboard if they are doing major air and 360's but for your everyday wakeboarder down low is totally fine. We do surf from the tower but thats a lot less stress (besides when you start) so I'm ok with that.

Here are my thoughts on getting kids comfortable with being behind the boat or just loving the water......if they don't want to wakeboard don't make them as they will crash and crash hard learning and its pretty scary for kids being locked into the boots and not being able to swim vs skiing where they pop out of the boots and can swim (and being able to swim when in panic mode is important) knee boarding is ok but I'd highly suggesting looking at http://www.wakesledz.com as this is a buoyant version that the kids don't need to strap themselves in and it'll float so it gives them way more confidence vs kneeboarding and if the kids don't want they won't even get wet. Supper easy for kids as they can learn at really slow speeds.

Selling point on getting a new boat is for surfing......this is bar far the #1 sport every family member will do hands down! Slow speeds, no chance of getting hurt and you have progression to keep you coming back form more! I've now found a way to get kids 3 and up on the 1st try (just have them sit on a small tube and then stand once the boat starts (usually have an adult sitting on the tube with for support) but after 2 or 3 tries you don't even need an adult as they'll be able to get up right-away. Eventually they'll get to a point of wanting to try getting up out of the water but in the mean time ever one can get up and surfing within 3 minutes guaranteed vs skiing and wake boarding when everyone's feeling stressed because they can't get up or it hurt and the child is now crying and the mom wants to go back to shore......(I hate that) as it ruins the mode of the entire day on the boat.

Just my 2 cents but I have an 11 year old that brings a ton of friends to lake and I've now learnt to not push and show them how easy surfing and wakesledz are and i've finally got rid of the tunes and only use them for getting the kids up surfing.

Comment

Grab a ZUP Board... they can get up on it in any fashion they want or feel comfortable doing. Once they are used to being behind the boat, slowly transition them to Ski's, wakeboard or surfboard at their own pace. The ZUP boards can even be a good time for adults to mess around on..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for pointing out the wakesled. I haven't seen those before. Looks like fun. Do you know if they will fit in a surf rack or are they even thicker?

Comment

Man....if I had to surf kids all day I would cry. I'm probably the minority here but I just can't seem to get into standing behind the boat....esp when there is speed to be had. I agree though 100% that newbies think it's super cool to be surfing behind the boat. The good news is that you can't surf on your IO so you will have to do real sports .

Here is how I do/did it

1) get a barefoot boom if you can get one for your boat. It's super easy to teach people off the boom. And it gives them muscle memory for behind the boat

2) get them used to the water. If they are afraid of the water or hesitant then I'm not wasting any time on them.

3) I find the kneeboard the easiest and funniest thing for new kids to do. Easier than surfing for sure. Get two boards with hooks. That way you can have a "coach" out there as well to show them the ropes. Most kids absolutely love the kneeboard and beg for more. I've gotten 3 year olds up on several occasions.

4). Wakeboarding. Once they can kneeboard, most kids can get up on the wakeboard and if you go really slow it does not hurt to fall. I never pull new kids over 12-13 mph until they are standing straight and comfortable.

5). Slalom. I really only let athletic kids who show good body control try this unless I know they will be regulars. It just gets old wasting time and water pulling someone up who is nowhere ready for the slalom.

6). Two skis....don't know. Never had a set on the boat.

7). Foil. Foiling is where it's at for me. Fun, challenging, as low or high impact as you want, can do it behind and boat. My kids leaned on my Skyski pretty easily. Also, much more entertaining for passengers in the boat watching.

Comment

Also...I make them earn tubing. If you let them, kids will just tube until you run out of gas. They have to do 3 different things (slalom, wakeboard, kneeboard, foil, etc) before I break out the tube. Yes, I know I'm really mean but dragging kids around on a tube all day is mind numbing. If I go fast enough to be fun, sooner or later someone is going to get hurt....especially on those 4+ person tubes. I've pretty much stopped using multi person tubes as it's only a matter of time before someone's face pounds the back of someone's head.

Comment

I echo Bakes5 comments on the tube. I make all my kids do everything else before i break out the tube. I hate that thing. I do have a "safe" one, however, if there is such a thing, but my kids want the extreme ride. I have played back some vid footage in slow mo and it is amazing how much their necks and heads whip around. Can't be good.

I love the foil.

Comment

Although these videos aren't wakeboarding specific, we actually started out this way teaching wakeboarding with a tube that wasn't tethered. Lots of less work on the rider as they are already out of the water. We keep the tube tethered on the opposite side for surfing, easier to retrieve and keeps those pesky PWCs from getting too close.
                  Both on YouTube: Carolynn tube surf. Surfing for the second time.
                  Paul Middlemore

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Watched some videos of that Zup Board and I'm sold on it. Now I just need to find a used one or a good price. $259 for the board, eh, but why the heck does the rope and handle cost $90?! B.O.A.T.!! *Shaking my head*

Comment

Just get 2 kneeboard. They are like $90-100. Trust me, 2 kids on the back will be way more fun for them than 1 on that ZUP thingy. Kneeboard with a hook are super easy to get up on for kids

Comment

For all you guys who really want the Zup board, here's one on sale
                        http://windwardhosting.com/shuswap/p...This%22--Board

Comment

I just bought a Zup Board from Gander Mountain with the rope for the same price. It was special delivered to the house, since it's off-season. This board is HUGE! I'm 5'11 and it comes up to my chin. I immediately went out to my boat to ensure it'll have a place to sit and it takes up the whole rear floor of my 19' Regal. I let me kids watch the YouTube videos of the board and they're excited about it.

I can't wait for boating season to start! This winter has been VERY mild here in Nashville with near 70 degree days. My boat's sitting in the garage and it's not winterized; I keep telling my wife I'm going to take it to the lake and just cruise if we get a nice 75 & sunny day here soon. Maybe I'll invest in a wet suite and try the Zup Board out! LOL!

Comment

Working...
                          X