Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New boat for wakesurf

Hi there!

New to the forum and trying to get some helpful opinions on a new boat to buy. Realize it being a Tige forum it may be a little lopsided, but here goes the question anyway lol

I think I have narrowed it down to either a 2016 Tige RZX demo model, a 2017 Mastercraft X23, Centurion Ri237, or a used 2016 Super Air Nautique G23.

All these boats have each their own strengths and weaknesses from how I see it with no experience behind any of them.

Strengths:
    Tige RZX: -Massive storage, High freeboard and great looks, all sub floor ballast
    Mastercraft X23: Awesome transom seating! Very well thought out and nice fit and finish. Dockstar for 2017.
    Centurion: Ramfill, MASSIVE ballast, cheaper then the rest
    SAN G23: Massive storage, amazing fit and finish, love the look, all sub floor ballast.

Negatives:
    Tige RZX- Getting into used G23 money and not sure it will hold resale as well.
    Mastercraft X23-Very Limited storage, not a huge fan of the dash.
    Centurion: Limited storage if using Plug and play, quality isn't quite as nice as the others
    SAN G23: Not sure it will surf as well as the others, head clearance is an issue on tower and Bimini.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of these points, but just going on what I could tell in my limited time walking through them at the dealers. Anyone have some real world experience behind some of these boats?

I would consider the MB b52 v23...surfs like a banshee and at a fraction of all the above prices...

I roll in a Z3 and it surfs fantastically..No reason to spend that much money on a surf boat unless you really want to win measuring contests

Comment

I just bought my RZR this past November. For a year I went through the same dilemma. I went with mine because I believe the quality rivals anybody else and the price was right. The guys on this forum have a lot of respect for the MB's. I just came back from the Chicago Boat Show, and I have to say I agree, I was very impressed. If I was still in the market, I would seriously consider MB.

Comment

I have a 2016 G23. I would correct you on the head clearance. The tower is tall enough for me, so it is tall enough for you.
        It surfs really well with stock ballast. All of the stock ballast is under the floor. If you have to add bags to whatever alternative boat you buy, then the storage is not the same. Some guys have added extra bags on top of it, and I have debated it, but I need to try it out before I go hog wild and plumb things in. The stock wave is steeper than most. That can be a negative if you are a skim-style surfer. It is just personal preference.

You have a good #firstworldprobs to have. I would demo them if your lakes are not frozen and then decide for yourself. Your dealer support should influence your decision quite a bit. If they treat you like you are a pain in the rear while test driving, just wait until you have a warranty issue, they will NEVER treat you better than when you are a prospective buyer.
        Be excellent to one another.

Comment

if that was my list, I'd only be shopping tige and centurion. they are talked about more often as surfboats and that's all I want in a boat but as tall mentions, test them all and buy what feels right based on what you want to do with it. all will have pros and cons and I don't think there's a "loser" in that list. Heck, I'd take any of them.

I shopped mb before tige(almost bought one but tige dealer came back with a stupidly low offer) and they do build a good boat for the $$ but looking at your list, you are in a different price class than mb so assuming you are not looking at them. quality of materials would be on par or slightly lower than the centurion imo.
          2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
          2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Originally posted by Master-Spud View Post
            Hi there!

New to the forum and trying to get some helpful opinions on a new boat to buy. Realize it being a Tige forum it may be a little lopsided, but here goes the question anyway lol

I think I have narrowed it down to either a 2016 Tige RZX demo model, a 2017 Mastercraft X23, Centurion Ri237, or a used 2016 Super Air Nautique G23.

All these boats have each their own strengths and weaknesses from how I see it with no experience behind any of them.

Strengths:
            Tige RZX: -Massive storage, High freeboard and great looks, all sub floor ballast
            Mastercraft X23: Awesome transom seating! Very well thought out and nice fit and finish. Dockstar for 2017.
            Centurion: Ramfill, MASSIVE ballast, cheaper then the rest
            SAN G23: Massive storage, amazing fit and finish, love the look, all sub floor ballast.

Negatives:
            Tige RZX- Getting into used G23 money and not sure it will hold resale as well.
            Mastercraft X23-Very Limited storage, not a huge fan of the dash.
            Centurion: Limited storage if using Plug and play, quality isn't quite as nice as the others
            SAN G23: Not sure it will surf as well as the others, head clearance is an issue on tower and Bimini.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of these points, but just going on what I could tell in my limited time walking through them at the dealers. Anyone have some real world experience behind some of these boats?
            Would love to talk to you about a couple of things regarding tige,

give me a ring.... 714-306-three nine nine nine
            Germaine Marine
            "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys.. the Centurion is off the list now, as the draft of the boat is just too big for my launch I go to... But now the nautique dealer has me interested in a GS22, Can get into one about 20g less the the others I'm looking at, and it's still a very nice boat... Will the surf wave be as good, probably not, but will that mean I have 20g less fun on the water, probably not lol

Comment

Originally posted by talltigeguy View Post
                I have a 2016 G23. I would correct you on the head clearance. The tower is tall enough for me, so it is tall enough for you.
                It surfs really well with stock ballast. All of the stock ballast is under the floor. If you have to add bags to whatever alternative boat you buy, then the storage is not the same. Some guys have added extra bags on top of it, and I have debated it, but I need to try it out before I go hog wild and plumb things in. The stock wave is steeper than most. That can be a negative if you are a skim-style surfer. It is just personal preference.

You have a good #firstworldprobs to have. I would demo them if your lakes are not frozen and then decide for yourself. Your dealer support should influence your decision quite a bit. If they treat you like you are a pain in the rear while test driving, just wait until you have a warranty issue, they will NEVER treat you better than when you are a prospective buyer.
                Sorry guess I should of been more clear, no I'm not hitting my head on the tower, but the 4 speakers across yes, the bimini in the front yes.

Comment

I love my Z3 with AVX and when I was value shopping I almost bought the MB tomcat and I am sure I would have been happy with it also!
                  I doubt any additional spending would have been justified in quality, value or wave.

Comment

Originally posted by Master-Spud View Post
                    Thanks for the suggestions guys.. the Centurion is off the list now, as the draft of the boat is just too big for my launch I go to... But now the nautique dealer has me interested in a GS22, Can get into one about 20g less the the others I'm looking at, and it's still a very nice boat... Will the surf wave be as good, probably not, but will that mean I have 20g less fun on the water, probably not lol
                    That GS22 is a sweet boat by all means! It has my attention for sure, but you may want to compare it to the RZX2 or you will be comparing apples to oranges.

Out of your list I would go with the RZX3 or the G23 if money isn't an issue, as they will be closely related in turns of wake, options etc. Even price as the RZX lineup has caught up with G pricing. Test them for sure back to back if available, and make the decision based on your wants and needs. Make sure dealer is up to par for after sales support also when comparing brands.

If looking at them may want to even test the 17 models as they have done minor improvements on the G and RZX which may be game changers to certain ppl.

Comment

Yes, we have lot of respect here for MB simply because they are really good boat. Many tige owners renewed with MB's.
                      I changed my boat last September and was in the same pettern as you (like many others haha).
                      The first tips I can give you is go Demo them !

Features that fits you and the look is important but the boat feeling is more! Give you a top 3 and demo it on the water they drive really differently. After shopping for a year, visiting every dealer, analyzing all boat I wanted I stopped my choice on Tige!

Next important thing to remember is the dealer experience and proximity. Don't forget that you will return in your dealership! A boat is a boat you will need maintenances and all that stuff, warranty honor in case of need too.
                      Choosing a boat cause of a good price at a 6hours dealer,
                      Me I forget it instantly (the reason I forget MB.. the closest dealer was 6hours away..) summer is so short can't afford to take a 12hours road trip if my boat go wrong!
                      And the seller same thing, i don't want to bash anybody but I forgot Malibu's directly just because of the poor service. The second I enter in the Malibu dealer the seller push me on the more expensive one and even don't listen to my needs. This guy was just there for making money.. but that's different for every dealer! No matter the brand. Mine was a Malibu!

Now I can give you my short list of pod and neg starting on first to last I tried

First on
                      - Super air nautique. Man I should'nt tried this one first haha.. for me SAN is the top brand.. they are monster boat, crazy look but after thinking a lot it was too much on my price range.. and prefer to go new instead of used. I'd like to say I'll bought a super air nautique when I will have the budget

- MC. For my opinion if you want to make a lot of water sport I will not consider a MasterCraft.
                      They are really good boat, comfort, look and utility are their pos. But if wakesurfing is your priority you can have better.

Last one tige
                      I was not consider tige when i started.. I was a lot on wakeworld and many of them bash tige (really don't know why!) but after trying almost all boat I decide to give them the same chance.
                      - dealer experience, the best I ever had
                      And really good quality product for the price.
                      I changed my boat because a wanted a surf boat. And tige is the best surfboat on the market. I surf behind almost all brand and never have a better wave than a Tigé. Tigé are more sensitive and take little bit more time to settle but once you've done it you save your setting and you have the better wave on the market!

Comment

Working...
                      X