Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winterizing in Texas

This may be in the wrong area but....

Anyone avoid winterizing their boat in Texas? We live down in the Houston area (Lake Conroe), where it lately has been dropping below freezing.

Neighbors and I have been running our boats at night and in the morning to avoid any freezing within the block/other areas.

So far there haven't been any issues; but your feedback/constructive criticism is welcome. We noticed the boat temp in the morning after sitting all night has been around 58 degrees.

I run a 2015 Z1, and the neighbor runs a 2017 Malibu LSV.

I am from Michigan, it is 2 degrees right now at noon. It is generally believed up here that it takes a constant sub 32 degrees for days before damage occurs. It's a combination of not just air temp but more importantly water temp. I doubt water temp in Houston is reaching that point. It takes a hard freeze for damage, there is a big difference a hard freeze and a nightly low of 32. A low of 32 for an hour should not cause concern if you run it like you say in the morning and night. One trick we use on "iffy" days is to put a incondescent or halogen light under the engine cover. Don't let it burn anything and there may be danger from fuel. Btw our "iffy" days are in October, November if we are really lucky.
    Please for those who disagree please keep the hate threads civil. But as long as the daytime highs are moderate and only the nightly lows are below freezing run it like you say and you should be not be concerned. If the daytime highs drop below 32 that is a different story, winterize it. I keep mine intermixed and in a heated building. Again , if using a heat source be very careful of what I surrounds it.

Comment

Intermixed was supposed to say winterized.

Comment

Originally posted by Brianrzr View Post
        I am from Michigan, it is 2 degrees right now at noon. It is generally believed up here that it takes a constant sub 32 degrees for days before damage occurs. It's a combination of not just air temp but more importantly water temp. I doubt water temp in Houston is reaching that point. It takes a hard freeze for damage, there is a big difference a hard freeze and a nightly low of 32. A low of 32 for an hour should not cause concern if you run it like you say in the morning and night. One trick we use on "iffy" days is to put a incondescent or halogen light under the engine cover. Don't let it burn anything and there may be danger from fuel. Btw our "iffy" days are in October, November if we are really lucky.
        Please for those who disagree please keep the hate threads civil. But as long as the daytime highs are moderate and only the nightly lows are below freezing run it like you say and you should be not be concerned. If the daytime highs drop below 32 that is a different story, winterize it. I keep mine intermixed and in a heated building. Again , if using a heat source be very careful of what I surrounds it.
        Thanks for the input! Lately it has been dropping below 32 here from 9pm-10am, which we run the boats at 9pm and 7am. We put electric blankets over the engines over night, and haven't seen much of a drop in internal engine compartment temperature. In addition, the coldest the water is right now is 47 degrees. During the days in the following weeks, and what trends, is about 60-75 degrees during the day. Needless to say, we still surf with suits on.

Comment

I agree with Brian, an overnight low of 32 should not be an issue. If it starts dipping into the mid to upper 20's for a prolonged period of time, I may be concerned.

Do be concerned however, with water hoses to a shower or a heater unit. Although not as expensive to replace, they will freeze and burst long before the engine block does.

In those iffy days here in St. Louis, I use a couple of block heaters. You can buy them at most auto parts stores. They attach to the block magnetically and push heat directly to the block. Properly placed, they keep the water in the block from freezing down to quite a few degrees below freezing. Again, they do not protect the heater or the shower, but they are cheap, super easy to place, and safe.

Comment

I would suggest a small engine bay heater or learning to drain the water from the block, etc. We have been known to ride year round here in NC. I would drain the block right there on the ramp after a winter ride. Took about 5 minutes.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by smendez View Post
              I agree with Brian, an overnight low of 32 should not be an issue. If it starts dipping into the mid to upper 20's for a prolonged period of time, I may be concerned.

Do be concerned however, with water hoses to a shower or a heater unit. Although not as expensive to replace, they will freeze and burst long before the engine block does.

In those iffy days here in St. Louis, I use a couple of block heaters. You can buy them at most auto parts stores. They attach to the block magnetically and push heat directly to the block. Properly placed, they keep the water in the block from freezing down to quite a few degrees below freezing. Again, they do not protect the heater or the shower, but they are cheap, super easy to place, and safe.
              I will definitely look into that!

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
              I would suggest a small engine bay heater or learning to drain the water from the block, etc. We have been known to ride year round here in NC. I would drain the block right there on the ramp after a winter ride. Took about 5 minutes.
              Is there a size/BTU of engine bay heater I should look for? Are they commonly sold at auto stores? I would be mildly concerned with proper ventilation of gas fumes.

Comment

There likely is a formula for ideal size to engine bay sqft. Id say a small one would work, given the size of an engine bay of a typical cruiser.

No, you will not find these in auto parts stores, but a marine supply place.

This is why you would want to look at an actual marine engine bay heater, so engine bay fumes are not an issue.
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Why not just drain the water out of the motor and heater and be done with it? Seems like a lot of gambling when you could just have peace of mind that it's done right.

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                    Why not just drain the water out of the motor and heater and be done with it? Seems like a lot of gambling when you could just have peace of mind that it's done right.
                    This.

Are you still taking the boat out? Why go through so much effort when you could spend a few minutes draining and be done with it.

Comment

I'm in Austin. I think your fine with the other methods described in here. Idk about your z1. But on my 15 rz4 there are only 4 spots to drain. At most it takes 15 minutes. The engine block itself is probably the easiest. I would just drain the water and be done.
                      BABz - babzusa.com
                      Austin, TX

Comment

What engine do you have?

Comment

Working...
                        X