Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Swim Platform???

Hello all,

Now that is winter I am working on a couple small projects for my boat and I am also thinking about replacing my fiberglass swim platform. It has many gashes and chips in it, the fiberglass is starting to fade and the black matting isn't in the best shape (your feet turn black if you walk on it wet). I love the look of the teak/wood swim platforms!

I am curious if anyone has a teak swim platform for sale for my boat (2005 24V) or if anyone has ever built there own swim platform? (I would think teak would be expensive). I did a search and found a few threads on modifying existing platforms for cleaning up the surf wave but nothing on rebuilding or replacing from scratch? Has anyone built there own or does anyone have any advice for taking this project on?

Thanks,
    Kyle

Is the OEM one real teak?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

I've replaced one with 1 inch thick HDPE sheeting
      There are tons of places on the web to find it and it works better than the original
      Swim platform. Super easy to work with. Try king board! It's made for decking on off shore boats
      I sanded mine with 50grt on a orbital sander and it feels great on your feet, no slipping at all

Comment

The one that came on my 07 was pretty wide and messed up the wave so i made my own. I used a 1/4 and 5/8 plywood put together with PL premium and screws, then i fiberglassed it and coated it with bedliner. It was never supposed to be a permanent thing but in the end it turned out pretty good and works great. So until it starts falling apart i'm going to keep using it.

This was actually the second one i made. The first was more of an attempt to find the right shape. I just used plywood cut to shape and then used spray on bedliner to try to seal it. It only lasted part of a season before it started to fall apart.

Comment

Originally posted by Stingreye View Post
          Is the OEM one real teak?
          No my oem swim platform is fiberglass with black rubber matting. I am hoping to either buy or build a teak/wood platform.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricks6six6 View Post
            Try king board!
            Thanks I will check this out. Did you end up using stainless hardware, some kind of laminate/glue, or both?

Comment

Originally posted by retox1 View Post
              The one that came on my 07 was pretty wide and messed up the wave so i made my own. I used a 1/4 and 5/8 plywood put together with PL premium and screws, then i fiberglassed it and coated it with bedliner.
              Man, that sounds very solid and rugged. I may go that route but I think I want a natural looking wood for the looks/style. I suppose I could use PL premium as an adhesive even if I don't do a with rhino lining. Thanks!

Comment

Making a narrower shorter platform has been on my list of experiments as well. My 09 platform gets a lot of water over the side and has the lip underneath. I've wondered how much of a difference it would make in cleaning up the wave. At the same time it's still very surf-able so I then battle with how much I care? I would make a quick easy one out of plywood for testing purposes. If I like what I see I would then look to replace with 1" HDPE.

Comment

Originally posted by kjohnson709 View Post
                  No my oem swim platform is fiberglass with black rubber matting. I am hoping to either buy or build a teak/wood platform.
                  I have a teak one but I am not sure its real teak. It might be but for some reason I was thinking it was another type of wood.
                  Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Stingreye - I am guessing the platform you speak of is on your boat? Not a spare one for sale?

Comment

Working...
                    X