Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How far have you been?? And I don't mean on a trailer.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boardman74 View Post
    I have a 36 foot cruiser and we spend about 25-30 nights a summer "camping" on the boat so I will add what I have found. You will never enjoyably make your 200 miles a day. Thats far in a boat. You are thinking flat time like in a car. As in 200 miles divided by 25 mph is 8 hours. It won't be like that. Locks are slow. Commercial traffic always takes priority. Get a barge that is to big to fit in the lock and has to break apart into multiple pieces and you can wait 2-3 hours easily. Smaller marinas have 1 gas pump, larger ones usually only 2. Your fuel stops are going to take an hour if you have 4 boats. Maybe more, boaters are slow at the dock and the workers aren't any faster. Your going to have to do that twice a day. So add 2 hours for locks(could be far worse) and 2 for fuel(again best case) and you are in the boat for 12 hours running flat out in between. No: no wake zones, no waiting for slower boats, no issues…. or your behind. Now add you need light in the morning to break camp and light at night to set up. 200 miles a day in to much and an unrealistic expectation.

We have a big comfortable boat. 36 feet/ 13 foot beam and 17000 lbs dry. It doesn't get beat around like your going to. Beds, room to move around, bathroom, fridge, air, power…..and no way do we run 12 hours a day. We take 3-5 long trips a summer(more than 2 days or 100 miles). We always factor 50-75 miles a day and roughly 8 hours on the move. Driving a boat is far more taxing than a car, more like a motorcycle. Your in the sun, the wind, your getting beat up by the chop. Then add you have to be on high alert all the time for trash in the water, waves, dumb boaters, fisherman act. 12 hours in a boat will be is absolutely draining. At 8 hours you feel it. You'd be miserable by day 3. Most are our cruising friends add in at least 1 down day on a week trip. A day you don't plan to move and can relax and regroup physically and mentally. Also gives you a make up day incase something happens and your behind.

Number one thing we see with new cruising boaters every year is what you are talking. Thinking they are going to cover way more distance than they actually are. Can you cover the 200 in a day…sure. You can push hard and do it. But its not going to be enjoyable. Not for you and even less for your first mate(Wifey)!! Slow down and enjoy the trip. Enjoy the beauty of the river, the landscape, the wildlife. Get out at some of the marinas and walk around the little river towns. Sounds cheesy, but its true. Trust me you will appreciate a hot meal you didn't make and a bloody mary in the morning!!! Cut your daily distance in half and I think you will enjoy your trip way more. Plus you might be able to talk the wife into doing it again next year!!!!

Thank you. This is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for when I made this tread.

Comment

Originally posted by whiteflash watersports View Post
      Here is a good article about the "voyage"

http://www.wakeboardingmag.com/blog/.../14/the-voyage
      That is EPIC!! This may have changed my ideas for this trip if I can make it a reality.

Comment

If you are in North Miss, I figure you go to Pickwick a lot. I am from Memphis area and thought about when/if I move back taking this trip down to the gulf. I hope you don't have any troubles if you take the trip. I agree with boardman, take it nice and easy. I have learned that when you push it, you get complacent.

Comment

Originally posted by dmaxx04 View Post
          If you are in North Miss, I figure you go to Pickwick a lot. I am from Memphis area and thought about when/if I move back taking this trip down to the gulf. I hope you don't have any troubles if you take the trip. I agree with boardman, take it nice and easy. I have learned that when you push it, you get complacent.
          Yes we run anywhere from Bay Springs lake up to Pickwick every weekend. This is what gave me the idea as well. I am leaning toward less miles and more play.

Comment

Originally posted by bsreid View Post
            I have absolutely no experience doing this sort of thing. But I have watched this movie called voyage, a great film doing similar things, not sure on the exact location. Also some really cool film shots. http://voyagemovie.com
            I would love to experience this, totally jealous.
            This was actually filmed on the same waterway and river system I am talking about. How ironic!

Comment

All the feedback on this has been great! I have been very humbled. Which is the exact reason I asked for your input to begin with.

I still think this trip is possible but with a different game plan and time line. We may have to shave some miles off the trip with a new destination. I have also come to the realization we will need a longer time frame to complete it based on the input Y'all have given. This does not discourage me though. It only makes me more exited knowing I will be better informed!
              Last edited by Ditch Doctor; 11-11-2016, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ditch Doctor View Post
                All the feedback on this has been great! I have been very humbled. Which is the exact reason I asked for your input to begin with.

I still think this trip is possible but with a different game plan and time line. We may have to shave some miles off the trip with a new destination. I have also come to the realization we will need a longer time frame to complete it based on the input Y'all have given. This does not discourage me though. It only makes me more exited knowing I will be better informed!
                A good friend could drop your rig and trailer at your destination. Then you can go further 1 way!

Comment

Yes having someone drop the trailer and rig would be great depending on what and where and when we ultimately decided to end up.
                  Last edited by Ditch Doctor; 11-12-2016, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Bakes is correct on timing and distance. Ive delivered boats up and down the western coast, the longest from Bellingham Washington to Newport Beach, CA and after a few days, as long as the boats are running correctly, things get boring. PLAN ON HAVING PROBLEMS!!!! Bent prop, overheats, out of gas, broken shift or throttle cables etc. The more boats in the pack, the more exponential the issues will become. My suggestion would be double your time frame or cut the distance in half. Sounds fun, though. Good luck!!!
                    Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Originally posted by boatwakes View Post
                      Bakes is correct on timing and distance. Ive delivered boats up and down the western coast, the longest from Bellingham Washington to Newport Beach, CA and after a few days, as long as the boats are running correctly, things get boring. PLAN ON HAVING PROBLEMS!!!! Bent prop, overheats, out of gas, broken shift or throttle cables etc. The more boats in the pack, the more exponential the issues will become. My suggestion would be double your time frame or cut the distance in half. Sounds fun, though. Good luck!!!

After all the input on here, I think we are starting to work out the bugs. Me and my wife have been discussing extending the trip up to 2 weeks and maybe even longer. We are also going to cut the mileage in half at the same time. We can not decide on if we want to go half way and come back or go all the way to the coast and have our rig and trailer dropped at our final destination. Only time will tell. We gave ourselves 1 to 2 years to plan this trip. I know better than to throw it together hastily. And yes you are right I know the potential for breakdowns is greatly increased with a trip like this. I plan on going prepared with a backup plan as well to be picked up if needed. The other people in the group will have to do the same.

Comment

Working...
                      X