Vinyl seams 2013 z3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vinyl seams 2013 z3

I got in to detail my recently purchased 2013 z3 and noticed most of the rear wrap around seat cushions are showing some splitting in the seams..... the dealer is sending a new rear Center bench at no cost since it was pretty bad but should I expect the same for the rest as well? I don't want to be too picky but for what I paid and the fact that it's only 3 or so years old I wouldn't think this should be right. It has 200 hours on it. Thoughts?? The last picture is a knick I noticed as well.....should that be fixed also when buying used from a dealer? They have been great and this is our 2nd boat from them.

Thanks!
    Attached Files

That looks like the boat has been left out in the sun for some time or someone used the wrong cleaner on the vinyl.

What the dealer fixes depends on how much money the dealer wants to sink into it to get the boat sold. When I got my '05 in January the dealer only fixed the mechanical problems, cosmetic was left alone.

Comment

Nothing seems faded or discolored at all though.

Comment

I had some of that on my '13 z1 when it only had 80hrs. And it wasn't from sun! I do believe the cause is over stretching the vinyl when they stitched it at the factory, puts too much pressure on the seems and they let go prematurely. I've seen this more than once.

Comment

Originally posted by Z1josh View Post
          I had some of that on my '13 z1 when it only had 80hrs. And it wasn't from sun! I do believe the cause is over stretching the vinyl when they stitched it at the factory, puts too much pressure on the seems and they let go prematurely. I've seen this more than once.
          x2

The vinyl shop I talked to when I replaced the vinyl on my seats told me most OEM's (many makes and models) stretch the vinyl too tight in areas that might be walked on. It needs to be able to flex to keep from ripping. The crappy vinyl from my era (2004) was prone to seams ripping because the fuzzy backing was not very flexible and the skins were pulled tight, so they would then separate. He told me that he doesn't like to pull seat bottoms as tight as seat backs for this reason.

I think others have had similar experiences on all ages of boats. The "fit and finish" likely look better with tightly pulled vinyl on a show room floor but long term durability is sacrificed.
          Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

What the others have said is true. My 13 was the worst for vinyl. It was super tight. I had a couple seams blow/rip by the 20 hour service and I don't let people step or walk on my seats. What Stingreye said is exactly true. Its pulled overly tight to avoid any wrinkles so it looks good in the showroom.

There is no warranty left for this on a 2013 boat especially not to the original owner. Anything the dealer chooses to do is out of the goodness of their heart.

Comment

Thanks everyone! The dealer is helping a lot so far. Curious though, how much do replacement skins run for exact fit or full replacement seat say for a long bench seat? Dealer cost or customer cost? And can you get exact colors and all still for 2013s?

Comment

Originally posted by KyleRass41 View Post
                Thanks everyone! The dealer is helping a lot so far. Curious though, how much do replacement skins run for exact fit or full replacement seat say for a long bench seat? Dealer cost or customer cost? And can you get exact colors and all still for 2013s?
                Dealer can get the exact... sometimes only the dealer gets those fabric runs as well. We have done malibus that Spradling only offered a select color and texture to the boat builder. But for most of the carbon fiber its pretty available.
                2011 Tigé RZ4
                www.re-viveupholstery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Stingreye View Post
                  x2

The vinyl shop I talked to when I replaced the vinyl on my seats told me most OEM's (many makes and models) stretch the vinyl too tight in areas that might be walked on. It needs to be able to flex to keep from ripping. The crappy vinyl from my era (2004) was prone to seams ripping because the fuzzy backing was not very flexible and the skins were pulled tight, so they would then separate. He told me that he doesn't like to pull seat bottoms as tight as seat backs for this reason.

I think others have had similar experiences on all ages of boats. The "fit and finish" likely look better with tightly pulled vinyl on a show room floor but long term durability is sacrificed.
                  If a seat is is done right... it will be tight based on fitting right, and not over stretched. but the reality of most of these seats are this. Design. you put stress points at the worse possible place on those Z3 back corner seats... people step right there.. and guess what it pull and starts tearing from day one. I dont care how awesome you take care of it. had they left that panel solid... it would hold up 10 fold longer.
                  2011 Tigé RZ4
                  www.re-viveupholstery.com

Comment

^^ that's the exact same issue I have on my 09. The back side walk though and where people step on to the cushion. They don't step on the flip. They step on the corner of the large bench piece I have which looks the same as the above. I've contemplated completely removing the flip part or removing part of the seat panels to limit the stitching required.

Comment

bc rider, I completely remove the flip piece, place a towel in the spot and it really helps. I think when I do the seadek, I will put a piece under so you can just step on that. sorry back to the thread. Seems boat was left out in the weather a bit though. don't ya just hate when this happens. I love the new boats that have the center walk through to avoid this problem, I sound like a broken record telling everyone to use the walkway, you think they would get the hint seeing its made to be walked on. rrrrrrrrrrr. show us pics when you get it fixed.

Comment

I am in the process of replacing all of the rear seat skins and the sun deck on my '11 Z1. Last year I ordered the skins for the two middle benches and replaced them myself. This year when I called them, they said they throw out the pattern after 5 years and don't stock the vinyl. I have a local guy matching the vinyl as u need to order full rolls from the manufacturer. My seats started to tear after just two years of use. This is one issue that may keep me from buying another tige. I have almost $2500 in 9 cushions. To answer your question on replacements from tige, the skins on the seat cushions ranged anywhere from $150-350 each.

Comment

I'll have to make sure I order skins then on what doesn't get replaced. I would rather spend the 150 to 350 per cushion now and keep them for when it does get worse. I would think more people would do this. At least for some of the rear seats that constantly get stepped on. It sounds like it could take up to 4 to 6 months to get some of the replacement skins. The middle rear bench seat with the step conversion has been discontinued and he ordered the new bench seat for me along with a few skins I think. Just waiting to hear back.

Comment

Working...
                          X