2010 22Ve Vs 2010 VTX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2010 22Ve Vs 2010 VTX

I am doing some research at present comparing a 2010 22Ve and a 2010 Malibu VTX with the cut diamond hull. The VTX is pushed as a true cross over boat that can wake board, slalom and surf which I am not disputing. Comparing it to a 22Ve which I know is not apples for apples but more like mangoes vs lemons, I am confident that the 22Ve can wakeboard really well and there is no doubt that they can be set up really well for surfing, but what are they like for slaloming. I know everyone that can slalom behind any boat, but is the wash and wake excellent, very good, good, average, really average or just plain bad and normal slalom rope lengths.
    Has anyone been in both boats and what are the comments?

Thanks in advance for everyone's comments and inputs.
    Every Day POETS day - Piss Off Early, Today we Ski

Not sure which is the lemon, but lets break it down. Diamond hull = non-wakeboard. So if slalom is your primary focus, theres your answer. Next, the vts is 2ft shorter and narrower than the 22Ve. this also makes it a better slalom boat.

If your focus is wake or surf, hands down its the 22Ve. Space and big water ride, 22ve

Ive never slalomed behind a vtx, but i did slalom behind my 22ve quite a bit. Im a rec planker and found the wake @ 20 off to be pretty mellow for a 4500 lb 22ft 102" beam v-drive.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Hi Chpthril,
      Thanks for your prompt response.
      Yes I understand they are two separate classes of boat, I was aiming my question more at what the slalom wake is like. I understand that it is not a competition slalom tow boat, but when slalom skiing, is the wake like hitting a brick wall or pretty good.
      I currently ski behind a 2007 21i, so would the wakes be comparable?
      Every Day POETS day - Piss Off Early, Today we Ski

Comment

I have a 22ve and a buddy that is an amazing slalom skier. he prefers my wake of the 22ve over the moomba mondo my buddy owns(I know, not a vtx but similar size). he said the 22ve slalom wake is softer than the mondo if that makes any sense.
        he rides at 32-34 and can cut almost laying a shoulder down. watching him, he just slides across the wake.

agree with chp in that if you want to surf/board as well, the 22ve is going to pwn the vtx, especially with the diamond hull.

good luck...
        2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
        2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Going from a 21i to a 22 foot v drive will be a bit of a change. We just went from an older 2200V to a new Z3 and everything about the wake is different. It's just flat out huge no matter what I do.....and I have to prop down a little bit to surf at max ballast so my top end dropped a little. I suspect you will have a similar journey if you from from a 21' DD to a V drive.

So, for now I ski slower (30mph vs 33mph) and jump the wake rather than cut through it. Still fun, but a way different style than I have been doing for the past 35 yrs.

All in all...in the end I like the size and overall package of the bigger boat even though it ended my old way of slalom. What I need is a old $8,000 closed bow ski boat to get my slalom fix....but that will have to wait until I have a lake house with a lift.

Comment

i have a 2010 rz2,same hull as s 22 ve . i'm a very aggressive slalom skier and i literally fly across the wake on the rz2.
            love the surf wave!!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X