Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surf injury: Please help

Hi Surfers,

I got an accident two weeks back. I’m going to miss this season of surfing with my friends. My knee got injured and not able to go for surfing. I consulted my doctor for a routine checkup and suggested to use knee braces. My brother bought knee brace from AESM, Toronto ( http://www.aesmphysiotherapytoronto....s/knee-braces/ ). Is there anyone who tried knee braces while surfing? I don’t want to miss this season. Is there any problems using braces while surfing? Please suggest any better option or techniques you have tried for this cure. Will physio therapy or yoga therapy cure this faster?

Thanks

Check these out. I know a couple of pros that swear by these.

https://www.buywake.com/accessories/knee-braces

Comment

Check out Alison Sos. She is a Tige' pro rider and has ridden with a knee brace in the past.
      Good luck and wishing you a complete, speedy recovery.
      John

Comment

I guess the question is "how serious is your knee injury?"

Torn ACL - I begged and pleaded with my othorpedic and pt to approve a brace for that injury so I could enjoy my vacation that involved a week of surfing...they would not.

I hope your injury is less serious and you find a brace that works for you. Having worn a brace for wakeboarding after knee surgery, the compression kind with velcro are kinda useless after being in the water a very short period of time. You need something with a more serious strap system or better velcro than the generic drug store variety.

Comment

yep....you have to tell us the injury. Mechanism and official diagnosis. Then we can give you our internet opinions on your knee.

Comment

I have no PCL and nothing left of my ACL in my right knee. Last season I did a partial tear on my MCL, same knee. I was out maybe three weeks before I started surfing again with a brace. After another month I left the brace at home. I'm 55 years old, but I bicycle A LOT for exercise and to keep my knees strong which is the key. After the MCL injury I was back on my bike 2 days later doing 24 miles then back up to 50 miles by end of the week.
            Key point with knee inuries is to keep the muscles around the knee strong which helps to stabilize the knee.

Comment

Many people who enjoy biking or being a couch potato can get by fine without an ACL or PCL because there aren't any major twisting/pivoting maneuvers to deal with. Being that you are missing both, the hinge that we call your knee has to be just plain unstable. The only way you have gotten by this far is that you have kept the muscles in terrific tone. I don't think you are going to be able to do any real significant maneuvers while surfing without having it bother you or put excess strain on the remaining parts.

It sounds like winter is your 'season'? You should get a knee brace similar to what NFL football lineman wear that stops excess extension or flexion and stabilizes you both medially and laterally. Not necessarily this one, but something like it: http://www.braceshop.com/donjoy-se-4...FUpNfgodhrQONg Then get it fixed in whatever is the 'off season'.

You probably have a high pain tolerance and a sense of determination that has gotten you this far, but I think for anything besides biking, you are going to have to bite the bullet and get it fixed. That sloppiness in your joint is also going to lead to some premature wear and tear of your cartilage, since you use it so much.
              Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Working...
              X