Battery issue or switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery issue or switch?

Had the boat hooked up to tenders for two weeks but the switch was in off, when we got to the lake and the boat wouldn't start. We jumped it and ran for about three hours and killed it and it wouldn't re start so we jumped it again. Got home tonight and used the battery yester and one says 12.6 -good pass and the other says 12.4 - good recharge. Is the switch maybe bad. It wouldn't start on 1, 2 or all or maybe something else to check? Terminals are clean and look fine. Batteries were purchased in June this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bad ground cable, bad B+ cable between the common post of the switch and the starter, bad starter in addition to a bad switch.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Would the starter still
      Work when you jump
      It if it was going bad?

Comment

Would the starter still
        Work when you jump
        It if it was going bad?
        Additional cranking amps.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Would leaving the key on give it power to test or does it need be be turned over at the same time?

Comment

There's a red and orange wore that goes to the top of the starter is that the B+ wire? It's sort of lose

Comment

You would need to eliminate everything else, then bench test the starter to see if spins up and how fast. A failing starter will take a lot of juice to spin and wont spin fast. Bad cables or switch result in loss of voltage/amperage at the starter

Comment

Ok, thank you for all the help. We will start tjere

Comment

I just finished dealing with a similar issue, turned out the solenoid on the starter was the culprit.

Comment

We will hit 800 hours on the boat possibly tomorrow, I do believe this is the original starter as well, would it be wise to change it as a maintenance precaution?

Comment

Working...
                    X