Let's talk skegs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's talk skegs

So why would Tige go from 3 skegs to 1 skeg on the Z3? I tried to do some high speed (31 mph) turns at the end of the cove with a slalom skier and had to throttle down because it just would not turn. Also seems like it tilts a lot with sharper turns.

At slower speeds it does just fine.

Soo, that said does anyone think having only 1 skeg is the problem? I'm thinking about adding the other 2. I really did not expect it to turn so poorly.

Thought?

Chine lock or rudder stall, quite common on any v-drive/direct drive. Adding more tracking fins won't really help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The boat is basically crabbing while surfing now also.
      surf till u die.

Comment

Wouldn't extra fins actually make it harder to turn? They provide stability at speed.
        Be excellent to one another.

Comment

I don't know for sure. I think bigger/more tracking find would provide a better pivot point...but I really don't know. I just know that the other big boats I have been in seem a lot more agile. 23 LSV and an 08 Supra 24SSV both handle a lot better at speed.

I definitely buy the "crabbing" thought for why they went to one fin.

Anyways, I'll play around with it and see what happens. I might have had really bad passenger distribution. My last boat would do this if my 400 lb sister in law sat in the wrong spot. I had about 9 people in the boat.

Comment

I've found that the various ski/wake boats I've driven corner better when I back off the throttle just a bit to "unload" things. And then I get back on the throttle. This usually results in a nice lean, too.

Comment

Interesting. I've kinda noticed the same thing when pulling tubes. I'll give it a try today. Skipping work and heading to the lake today.

Comment

Ok...Tried the throttle down, turn and then gun it trick and it worked great. Able to pull hard turns at pretty much and speed and make the tight turn at the end of the cove. Looks like I'll just stick with the 1 tracking fin.

Thanks!

Comment

From what i heard it is so that the boat can roll easier when switching sides with TAPS 3

Comment

The 20V I had had 3 fins and like the advertisement said it handled like a sports var. High speed turn were only an issues for passengers because there were no place to grab on in that model year. If I cranked a turn with passengers without warning them they would fly across the seats. Backing down the throttle a tad a the beginning of the turn definitely let the boat grab better and at the apex of the turn you could gun it and it jumped thru turns. It was a blast to drive and I used the quick turn to pick up fallen riders quite often because of other boat traffic.

Comment

Working...
                    X