Just Bought 09 24 VE- Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just Bought 09 24 VE- Questions

So we are picking up our 2009 24 Ve this weekend. It is our first wakeboard boat...did have a 24 sea ray sun dancer for 10 years. We are mostly into Wakesurfing. I did have some questions for owners of this boat:

1) neat things about the boat and layout u figured out
    2) special tips about this boat..u wish someone told u?
    3) will 950 sumo sacs fit in rear lockers?
    4) biggest sac that will fit under bow cushion?
    5) what do use those rear storage compartments near transom for?
    6) TAPS system is new to me...advice on how to use it?

I surfed right coast and wakesurfing now behind x30...not a pro, but not a novice either. Want to get as long and clean as a wave as I can with some push and lip. I know, want...want...want

Demoed the boat with 750's and wave was pretty good, but can be better! I'm 6'3 and 235 lbs....so board and weighting matter.

Thanks in advance

2) if you are new to driving/docking/trailering an in-board, you are in for a learning curve. They only back to the right. Learn to use this as an advantage and try to avoid a spot where backing left is needed.
    3) any soft sac will fit in the locker. However, some fit better than others. Some yield more weight than others at a lower cost. Some cost more but fit perfect and maximize the available space. Just note, any sac longer than 40" will extend beyond the locker.
    4) The Fly High W711 IBS will net you about all the water weight that bow can.
    5) empties, mooring lines, surf/wake board rope, shoes/flops.
    6) wake/wave shapper. Works a lot like trimming the drive on your old sea ray. 1 is down and 8 is up.

You are going to want to be in the 1200 lb range for rear surf side and about 600 lbs or more front. Off-side is optional so experiment with some but not likely more than 25% of surf side. that boat can surf good as slow as 10 and up to 12+. TAPS will change as speed and ballast change.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

-Be careful with people getting in and out of the boat through via the walkway in the corner. The seats flip left to right so you can have carpet side up. However, I find most people miss this altogether and step on the larger cushion that spans the whole back. After repeatedly doing this it has pulled all the stitching on that rear cushion and I will have to get mine redone here over the winter. I've actually thought about getting the whole rear section done completely differently to allow for a larger step cushion to come out.

-I have also unbolted the rear cushion and cut the bolts because they will poke in to whatever sac is under the cushions. Also watch out for any other screw heads in the compartments under the seats especially along the sides. I used some 3/4 ballast hose (2" piece) and backed the screws out and then put them back in and use the hose as a cap. The rear center lower hatch below the bench is also always unscrewed. If you need to get at your shut offs for your ballast quick you don't want to be looking for screwdrivers. Some have put in little covers under the seats too. I felt it easier to just have everything loose. Hasn't been an issue yet.

-The rear panels that cover the fill hose's on either side are better if they are completely removed from the locker as they provide more space for a custom MLA sac from Mike or any other that is larger.

-Get yourself a WS420 for your stereo. I had a bracket made out of plastic that mounts under the dash. Made a cardboard template and took it to a plastic shop to have made.

-fresh air exhaust is definitely nice if you are surfing. Damn near a must.

-I personally don't really use the rear 3 hatches for anything. Maybe some binding lube (yup still used by some) but that's about it. Lots of water gets in there.

-If you don't have a bimini they sure are nice to have. Spendy, but nice. Especially the surf bimini.

-Go to Mike above for all ballast requirements. His 1200lb custom sac is awesome. Could possibly also use an Enzo sac being that you have a 24. Mike can confirm.

-Be glad you have a 24. I love my 22 but I do wish I had the extra length.

-Mechanically wise. Learn to do as much as you can. Impeller changes although a little cumbersome to access is easy to do and not worth paying someone. Same with oil changes. Get yourself and extractor and it's a simple job. There are further small details to these operations that make it easier but we can address those once you are there.

-Keep a spare impeller and belt in the boat along with some basic tools, screw drivers, hose clamps, wrenches. I even keep a mini socket set down in the left slot corner by the sub. There is a void where it wraps around at the base. There's no point having your day ruined because you didn't have the basics to fix something on the water and get back at it.

-Coming from a stern drive you will notice just in gear on a vdrive is quite a bit quicker than a stern drive. When coming in to a trailer you will be coming in a bit more hot then you may be used too. Learn to bump the throttle in and out of gear. You do have some steering when coasting but not much so you have to time your steering when you are on the throttle.

-Everyone's different but I keep all of my spare life jackets, ropes, bumpers, bailer, prop puller, etc all in the locker in front of the drivers helm at the bow. If you Tetris in right you can get a dozen life jackets easily plus some other gear. That way the locker behind the passenger seat is empty for people's bags. riding related Life jackets and wetsuits just get transferred from left to right lockers depending what sacs are being filled.

That's all I got for now.

Comment

Well they covered it all pretty well I think, but if your gonna surf with that beast your gonna wanna grab one of my custom taps plates for it, they are awesome and they work great. Congrats on the new ride and I also do a ton of other custom stuff as well led lighting and such. Post up pics we all love pics
        surf till u die.

Comment

Originally posted by 18c racing View Post
          Well they covered it all pretty well I think, but if your gonna surf with that beast your gonna wanna grab one of my custom taps plates for it, they are awesome and they work great. Congrats on the new ride and I also do a ton of other custom stuff as well led lighting and such. Post up pics we all love pics
          Custom taps plate? Any pics?

Comment

I have that exact boat: 2009 24Ve. Here is a thread on how I modified ours to create the biggest surf wave I (and most of our passengers) have ever seen.

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
            fresh air exhaust is definitely nice if you are surfing. Damn near a must.
            If you have the CAT exhaust system on your engines, you probably don't need FAE. We have CAT (exhaust components are grey instead of black) and it is extremely quiet. We regularly have normal-level voice conversations from the back seat with folks on a surfboard behind us.

I personally don't really use the rear 3 hatches for anything. Maybe some binding lube (yup still used by some) but that's about it. Lots of water gets in there.
            100% agree. In the thread linked above you'll see that we added small hoses to route that water down to the bottom of the bilge. Otherwise it just drains on top of everything back there - not good.

Go to Mike above for all ballast requirements.
            100% agree. But if you do a full ballast mod like I did, you'll be able to accommodate even larger fat sacs. Mike can help you spec out and order those, too.

Learn to do as much as you can. Impeller changes although a little cumbersome to access is easy to do and not worth paying someone. Same with oil changes. Get yourself and extractor and it's a simple job. There are further small details to these operations that make it easier but we can address those once you are there.
            EMPHATICALLY agree. Follow this advice! It will save you money, heartache, stress, and teach you more about how your boat operates which will make you a better operator/owner.

Congrats and welcome to the Tige family. One of the benefits is this forum - the folks here are nicer and more helpful than any other I've seen in ANY discipline. Be sure to share back once you gain some experience, and post photos - we'll nag you if you don't.

Comment

Working...
            X