2014 Z3 Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2014 Z3 Questions

Have a friend looking at a 2014 Z3 with 250 hours. I've answered several of his questions, but wanted to check with the group here on a few items as I don't have firsthand experience with this model:

- boat has the 5.7L Indmar engine with 350 HP... assuming the correct prop is used, is this enough umph? Mainly will surf, board, and cruise.
    - I believe it has the upgraded ballast (1285 LBs in each rear locker). It also has VX extension. Is that enough plumbed ballast for a good surf wave out of the box?
    - he was previously mainly looking at used Z4's because they normally have a big crew. I know the traditional bow and 1 less foot in length will result in a little less space, but can anyone let me know if it's a big step down in useable seating space? They will probably traditionally have a crew of 8-12.

Thanks for any feedback or guidance!

sent you a pm

Comment

Is it the one at performance marine?If so that was mine and happy to answer any questions.

Comment

My 2014 Z3 has the surf ballast, the 5.7l engine, VX and stock prop. We boat at 200' above sea level. The ONLY time the boat has felt underpowered is when we had 100% of the ballast full and attempted to pull a 275lb wake boarder. Seemed to take forever to come on plane. I've learned not to fill the ballast 100% full when pulling boarders.
        For Surfing we frequently have a small crew (driver, spotter and surfer or two). We keep 700 lbs of steel shot wake ballast bags on the boat in addition to the stock surf ballast. No problems at all when surfing and never an issue cruising or pulling tubes.

Comment

^^^ what prop do you have?

Comment

I have a 2014 with wake9 ballast. running 1235 prop. tons of umph!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bakes5 View Post
              ^^^ what prop do you have?
              If you are asking me - my prop is the 537

Comment

I have a 2014 Z3 as well. Same as the boat your friend is considering: 350hp, 5.7L, stock prop, same upgraded rear ballast. My boat came with the 2014 'Surf System' ballast package which has stock 400 lbs upfront. Upgraded rear ballast 1200 lbs per side. So far, in my first season, I am really happy with our Z3. Operating at 2000' elevation, I have found the power to be more than sufficient for surfing, skiing, tubing, and boarding. We have operated with smaller crews and as many as 12. We have pulled some heavier riders and not really noticed much difference.
                We have pulled 2 tubes as well several times with 3 riders per tube--all kids and teenagers. Only issue is slowing in tight turns and accelerating, have noticed prop cavitation. Again, I have the stock prop. The 1235 is on my wish list to get faster acceleration, more prop grip basically at slower speeds. Our surfing wave is really fun, tall with good push. You can drift relatively far back as well, depending on the wave is set up. More ballast upfront is something I plan for next year. Added weight upfront would help make shorter but longer wave with better push, mainly for doing tricks. To answer your question, 'out of the box,' I think your friend would really enjoy the Wave the Z3 makes and versatility of the boat. Plus, operating with more people is going to make the wave better.
                Enjoy Z ride!

Comment

Working...
                X