Winter Layup Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter Layup Tips

It’s hard to believe that summer is coming to a close for us and that I’m already having to post a thread with this title. I’ve done some research on the site and have gotten some good tips, but want to double check on a few things.

Anyway, this will be our first time keeping our boat stored anywhere but our garage at home during the winter. Didn’t buy a trailer for the R21 we purchased this past spring (and am pretty sure she wouldn’t fit in our garage at home anyway). So, she will be staying on the lift at the lake until the late-spring.

Since we haven’t dealt with this before I have a few questions for the group. Any suggestions or best practices are appreciated.

1. We have a covered dock with and the stock boat cover that has kept the boat fairly bug-free and dry this summer. I’m planning on putting some Damp Rid buckets and dryer sheets in the boat to keep moisture and bug problems to a minimum. Anything else we should do from a moisture prevention standpoint?

2. When we used to have the old 20v in our garage at home over long periods of time I kept trickle chargers/battery maintainers alligator clamped on my two batteries. The R21 has an onboard charger. I’m assuming the charger is intended to be plugged in long-term (several months) without any issues, correct? I have the battery switch set to “off” and assume that doesn’t affect the charger’s ability to do its job.

3. Since the boat is under warranty I’ll have the local dealer handling the oil change, winterization, and other recommended first year maintenance once we’re fully finished using the boat for the year (luckily still have some good fall boating weekends left). Any suggestions on less common items to ask the dealer to look at prior to layup?

4. Since the boat will be on a covered lift and the boat cover will be on, do I still need to pull the plug? I guess it wouldn’t hurt….

Other thoughts/suggestions are welcome. I’ll add Stabil to the gas at last run and do one last UV protectant “conditioning” after the final cleaning session of the year. Based upon 007’s recommendation on another storage thread I’ll probably empty most of the compartments and open/prop up some of them for ventilation.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I alway cringe at new boats left out 24/7 365 days a year. Covered lift is ok if it goes down far enough. UV is harsh and covered lifts only go so far. All the 24/7 365 boats I know are worn well before their time it seems. Kinda like a 50 year old smoker vs a 50 y/o non smoker. I would re-look at your garage. Don't underestimate the effects of UV, grime and freeze thaw cycles.

Comment

Agree with above, if there is a way to get it tarped down lower to keep all UV off, I would do that.

I put a few bags of moth balls open under the cover. It smells like crap when you first open it up but the bugs and critters (mice, squirlls, etc) hate the smell.

I would pull the plug, unless there is a chance it could drop. I know of cables that have failed on boats so having it float would be a good thing!

Comment

I would never pull the plug for that extended period of time. If the lift fails your boat is down taking on water. Don't do it. I have left my boat on the lift for 10 years with no issues. Plug the batteries in, however in the spring check the water level in the battery unless you have a closed cell battery. If you have a heater, make sure that gets winterized, mine didn't one year and it was no fun. Ditto on the cover, make sure the fiberglass is covered as low as you can get a tarp, it will prevent fading of the gel coat. Put damp rid bags in like you planned. I suck as much water out as I can with a wet vac before covering for winter.

Comment

Akdoc - good point on the plug. Makes sense. Glad I asked.

As for garage storage as an option, we didn't get a trailer so she's staying on the lift for the winter nap. I do have really good sun protection and each side sees less than an hour of sun each day based upon coverage from my dock and other of my neighbors'.

Def have the heater and sucking any water out of the bilge on my list to address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I winter on a lift in the Ozarks. My lift overhangs my boat quite a bit. You have to make the decision on UV and elements, but I watch mine year round and it gets minimal UV exposure.

Here is what I do after winterization (did the same for indoor storage too):
            1. Damp rid 3-4 locations in boat
            2. Dryer sheets placed throughout helps keep critters out.
            3. Batteries on trickle chargers (It is better to pull them indoors if not on a lift, but so far so good with fairly mild winters).
            4. Remove life jackets plus any and all soft items that could mildew.
            5. Make sure all cushions are slightly open to allow good airflow.

Plug stays in mine.

Comment

Another thing I thought of is if your ballast system has check valves I always drain those. I had a few crack one year when I forgot to make sure all the water was out.

Comment

2. When we used to have the old 20v in our garage at home over long periods of time I kept trickle chargers/battery maintainers alligator clamped on my two batteries. The R21 has an onboard charger. I’m assuming the charger is intended to be plugged in long-term (several months) without any issues, correct? I have the battery switch set to “off” and assume that doesn’t affect the charger’s ability to do its job
                The on-board charger OEM installed, is intended to be plugged up through the layup season. Yes, the switch should be off. However, I have a feeling that your switch and ACR are not wired in the most ideal manor. if so, then even with the switch off, when the charger is in use, the ACR will likely combine, effecting the chargers work.
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

We also maintain our '14 Z3 on the lift. We do all the stuff listed above and also remove the snap in carpet. We are on the VA/NC border so the lake doesn't freeze over. We also purchased a set of covers (Suitz??) from Wet Sounds for the Rev10s....kind of costly, but well worth it.

Comment

I picked up some fat lady pantyhose to put over the Rev-10's whenever we're gone... keeps the bugs off and the wasps from making nests inside the horns. Guess I was too cheap to get the WS speaker covers....

Chp - I apologize for my ignorance... does your comment mean I need to make some wiring adjustments in order to leave the batteries plugged in via the OEM on-bank charger to avoid any issues?

Comment

Working...
                    X