Taps 3/Ballast Setting for 2017 R21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taps 3/Ballast Setting for 2017 R21

So we FINALLY got the boat out and knocked out the break-in hours....so far I LOVE this boat but I will admit all the electronics has me feeling like I have to re-cage myself....

So today we had 10 people out there, 5 adults, one almost teen, and 4 kids under 4...needless to say I didn't have a lot of time to "experiment" with the taps/ballast...

What are you guys using as ballast/taps settings on your R21/Z1's? I tried 10.8-11 with full ballast and I BELIEVE Taps3 at 1. I couldn't really get the wave cleaned up and it seem really short.

After that I engaged the "surf" mode and that preset mode dumped the fronts to 50% each and 10.8 Taps3 at 1....the wave got a little better but I still feel like it was short and "soft" vs most of the pics I have seen on here....

So what are you guys setting these things at??

Disclaimer: I was riding on a Inland Surfer Tako that may have been a bit small for me..

Edit: I'm an idiot...I found the thread on this exact question under the wakesurfing threads....but feel free to provide some updated info if you want or R21 specific experience
    Last edited by BurnMac42; 09-12-2016, 02:50 PM.

So I took the boat out again today and tried some of the settings recommended in the other thread.

First attempt was:

Speed: 11.2
    Taps: 2
    Taps3: 1
    Ballast: Full rears, 60% front

Second Setting:
    Speed: 10.8
    Taps: 4
    Taps3: 1
    Ballast: 75% front, full rears

It seemed to get a little but it lacks any kind of "push".....I know this boat can create an amazing wave out of the box but right now my 21v has it beat..

Comment

The 2016 Z1 we took out we ran taps at 4 and taps 3 at 4. Full rear and 50% in the front. Speed was 11.4, and it was good .

Comment

The bottom setting with 50% up front to start. drop bow weight until you get the desired height and shape.
        Germaine Marine
        "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

Depending on your crew size, the speed will most likely have to stay below 11.2 until you get a full boat in the rear
          Germaine Marine

Comment

Originally posted by elevatedconcept View Post
            Depending on your crew size, the speed will most likely have to stay below 11.2 until you get a full boat in the rear
            Cool...I'll try this weekend to get it dialed in a bit more...this was all exclusively on the port side if that makes a difference.

I saw in your other thread you re-propped from the stock 537...what did you re-prop too and does it make a big difference? I know on my 21v I went from the 537 to 1411....

Comment

I re-propped from a 1235 to a 2419 because I am running an extra 1k plus I'm lead on top of the 3000 surf xl
              Germaine Marine

Comment

So I took the boat out yesterday and here is what we ended on:

Speed: 10.8
                Taps: 3
                Taps3: 10
                Ballast: 100% rear, 30% front

MUCH MUCH better...HUGE wave..a little short but I know that is easily fixable with a little more weight in the front and speed. However I can't stress how much better it was....I couldn't get the smile off my face...thing had so much push that I felt like I was constantly having to put the brakes on so I didn't get too far forward.

One question I did have was does that Taps3 setting look right? Did I not understand how the numbering works? I had it set at 1 and it didn't have any push but we put it at 10 it's insane. I was under the impression that 1 was fully deployed and 15 was fully retracted...do I have that backwards??

Comment

No one if is fully deployed.

One thing to remember is that if you dont have many in the boat then you are going to have to run more center plate meaning higher taps 2 setting. The similar settings but reversed would be running less surf plate.......... and thus running less taps plate.....

The more taps 3 the more list and nose over effect, so if you dont have enough rear weight you can run less surf plate and counter that.

The best wave though will be had with taps 3 around 1-4 and taps 2 around 2-5 of course this is if you have enough rear weight to get the convex v drawing the hull down into the water, if not slower speeds.
                  Germaine Marine

Comment

and let me add, maybe they changed it in 17 but the 17 Z I was on was still one being deployed fully.
                    Germaine Marine

Comment

Working...
                    X