Fuel Sender - Decent one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Sender - Decent one?

Has anyone found a fuel sender that works pretty well? The one I have now will show full when full and then go to empty after you burn a few gallons.

Thanks

I bought one from Moeller Marine. Works very well, has full range throughout use of the tank.

Comment

Which model from Moeller? I have the reed style and its a POS. I think i'll try the simple style with the arm and float.

Comment

No matter which type you buy the basic nature of a floating tank sensor in an odd shaped box which constantly rolls around will make it inherantly inaccurate. I recommend filling the boat up every time you go to the lake to make sure you won't be stranded. This advice applies to all boats.
        2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
        2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

X2 to what EWOK stated. Badfish67, we had similar issues with our 2004 22i. When I took it in to our dealer for another matter, I asked him about fixing it. His response was "Dave, I can fix it for around $450, but I wouldn't recommend it. It will break again. It's not a matter of if, but when. Its one of those parts the marine industry hasn't perfected yet." So, I used my Dads old tried and true way from that day on. Buy a long wooden stick (I used a piece of molding), drop it in the fuel tank when it's full, remove it and mark it with a pen where you see the fuel line on the stick. Measure that distance, and make another mark where it's 1/2. You get worried on the lake, drop it in for a very unscientific measurement. It doesn't work with all boats obviously because of where the fuel tank is located, but it worked great on our 22i - and it beat replacing the part all the time.

Comment

Someday the industry will put baffles in their fuel tanks to reduce slosh. That will help a lot.

There's also another excellent way to address this, but we sold it as part of the AutoWake package to Skier's Choice. No idea if or when they plan to deploy it.

Comment

Mine was reed style as well and the float went missing. I bought just their basic universal swing arm float style off amazon. They are made for a range of tank depths. My tank was 6" deep, I assume yours would be the same being we have the same boat. Buy one that fits within their range, and trim it per their directions to fit.
              Don't get me wrong, the gauge is still inaccurate while running the boat, you're not going to get away from that theres too much gas moving around.
              But when sitting still, moving about at slow speed, or on the trailer it's right on. Which is all I wanted.

I still always fill up the boat each and every time I take it out just as a habit, that way you have nothing to worry about. I also like to be able to see how many gallons I burned from the prior trip out.

Comment

WEMA USA SSS Fuel/Water Level Sensor, Length 5.5" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y831JAK..._6Ze1xb8KMBAP5

This is the one I used, the 5.5" long one. 2006 20V. You'll never get a fuel level sender to read accurately in a boat but this works as good as the factory one.

Comment

I know in my tank there is a baffle in the tank so you can't use float arm style. Have to use the tube style.

Comment

Our tanks are so long and wide that it seems weird that there would be a baffle so close to the sender.

Don't forget to verify that the ohm output of the sender matches the ohm range of your gauge. Maybe that's your problem now.

Comment

Working...
                    X