Boat not reaching speed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat not reaching speed.

I purchased a 2007 RZ2 with a 6.0 400hp engine at the beginning of summer. I had to replace the belt after the first trip on the lake. The second trip out my raw water pump went out and sprayed water all over the engine compartment until I could get it back to shore. I replaced that and it ran fine until last weekend. It now acts like I have a clogged fuel filter. No power out of the hole. It will idle fine but starts cutting out as soon as you give it gas. Sometimes it wont go at all with throttle until you turn the key off and restart and then you can limp it along again but still don't throttle up unless you want to restart again. I replaced the fuel filter on top of the engine that is between the fuel pump and the fuel rail it has 2 fuel lines coming in and then 1 going out to the fuel rail. Is there another fuel filter somewhere? I was told there was 1 underneath the access hatch in the backseat but I didn't see anything. I have been reading through some older threads and it seems that filter is only there with a PCM engine so I am guessing mine is marine power? Does anyone know if I have a low pressure and a high pressure fuel pump and possible part numbers or another filter anywhere? It sure acts like a fuel problem but maybe electrical? If anyone has had this problem before and can give me some clues that would be greatly appreciated.

Have you looked at the cap and rotor?

Comment

You have low and high pressure fuel pumps, or my 07 did anyway. U could check fuel pressure.

Comment

What kind of cruise control do you have? If you have the type with a small servo motor and rope that gets spooled onto a drum, ie hydrophase, PP, maybe speedset?, that could be your problem. If the servo motor doesn't get power to it, it will allow the rope to unspool as you give the engine more throttle, preventing the throttle body from opening up. It will always idle fine, but as you give it throttle nothing happens. Or you may even hear/feel the engine struggle a bit because now it's in gear trying to go, but it hasn't been given enough throttle to actually go.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, Ill be tearing into this tomorrow. I don't think its cruise related, it does throttle up but just starts sputtering like its starving for fuel soon after. Ill take a look at the cap and rotor as well, that would be nice as the fuel pump looks like a pain to get to.

Comment

Cap & Rotor is good call; My 2007 24ve had hard time getting past 3000RPM last summer and sluggish acceleration. We had about 400 hours engine at the time. When I got it tuned up, cap & rotor was main culprit. First time out after replacing was like a new boat

Comment

So there is no distributor. I rented a fuel pressure Guage and it has 60 psi at idle. I'm gonna put it in the water tomorrow and see what I get at wot. I did notice my batteries weren't charged good for some reason. Maybe this has something to do with it.

Comment

Still a no go, fuel pressure was between 50 and 60 the whole time. It ran great while it was cold for about 3 minutes and then started hesitating. Coolant temp was at 174 so it's not going into limp mode. Guess I'll put it in the shop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Mine did the same thing and ended being the IAC SENSOR.

Comment

Working...
                  X