Mission Delta 2007 24Ve Works!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mission Delta 2007 24Ve Works!

The surf-gate concept is a game-changer; I decided to buy the Mission Delta rather than make my own suck-gate because I wanted to make sure I tried one that was "correct" vs. building one myself and wondering if I screwed up. I always have a mixture of Goofy and Regular surfers so changing sides was a pain....until now. In the past, as goofy rider I would go first to show newbies how to do it, then pump out/in to switch sides and 10 minutes later a new surfer would try. Then sometimes I never got another ride because it was so long or it was just not worth waiting....or people would decline trying a 2nd time since it took so long to switch. Now switching is a breeze and the wave is much better.

I have a 2007 24ve with rear Enzo bags from Chptril; nothing plumbed upfront. (human weight only) Now I weight both sides (rear) equally, Taps @ 4, 10.8 to 11.4mph and once the wave forms it's like some else said in a post---the sweet spot is farther back and is like a Shepard's Hook. One of the guys who went ropeless for the first time the other day said it was like finding a moving sidewalk; once you got in the pocket it just worked.

The best thing is when it's time to switch, I unhook the leash from the eyelet on the transom, undo the two levers from the suction cups, and move to the other side of boat, latch to eyelet and secure it in place. Place beneath the "24ve" logo under the waterline and just above the chine. Lock in the suctions cups and go. 20 seconds max.

I had upgraded to an ACME 1279 prop from an Acme 537 earlier in the year and with 10 people and both Enzo bags bull (1300# each) I had no cavitation. I have surfed with 10people and full rear bags, and 4 people and full rear bags and works great under both conditions.

While pricy, the MissionDelta comes packaged like from Apple, is engineered, has instructions, suction cup covers, and a nice fitted carrying case. It's a slick complete system that I choose vs. the process making my own with suction cups and cutting boards. Whichever way you decide to do this, a wake gate/surf gate/suck gate device works really well.

I figure every time I use it, the cost per use goes down. In the month I've owned it, (4 surf sessions), I have probably switched it from side to side at least 20x; smiling each time I do it. Since it's so easy switch sides you can easily get people surfing when they want to==not saying all goofy's go now and you regulars wait til I switch sides.

These pics show the wave; they look better and relatively equal in person, and really good on both sides.

MissionDelta1.jpgMissiondelta2.jpg

murphini...I have not been able to produce a wave that I am happy with over my listed wave. As it so happens running the same boat, same weight, with the Mission Delta. When I fill the rear enzos as full as possible the swimstep is easily 4" submerged. The only thing I did different in my setup was the delta was below the chine as far back as possible and was running about 500lbs up front and 4 people even weighted across the back. The Swim Step dug so deep in the wave that it was creating its own second lip in the wave and it was UGLY in fact was embarrassed by the results. I am not blaming any of this on the Delta, more my setup. I ran speeds from 9-15 and could not clean it up and Taps from 0-6 nothing seemed to clean it up. The prop is keeping up the weight no problem we just came to speed nice and slow with that much weight so no cavitation to speak of. It was surfable and wireless to boot but would not be showing any photos of the wave merely to not be laughed out of the forum for how bad it looked. My thought was to add more bow weight as I only filled my 1000lbs bow bag half way to lift the rear of the boat a bit to keep the swimstep from dragging. =However I will loose height and gain length by doing so and the wave was significantly smaller already compared to my listed wave. I get these are different comparisons but I am interested in how your wave was able to be produced when I have run almost the same setup...any aftermarket mods (cut swimstep/duffy flap/ect.)
    My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

Looking at that port side wave I don't like that line I see washing over. I get a nice clean lip running listed. I see the advantage of easily changing sides but I still get a way nicer wave running listed. If I had to change sides frequently I'd probably look at this more but I guess I'm lucky that all my friends are regular riders. Only my wife is goofy and she only gets out a few times throughout the year and it's not an issue changing. I run dual fill and dual drain 1200 gph Tsunami's so 1200lbs goes in/out pretty quick. Once I re-plumb my starboard side bag switching will be even easier.

Comment

BC rider all I can say is I had the best wave on the lake using the list option, surfed behind a few boats with the suck gate or DIY options and realized how much better it made their wave so I bought the Mission Delta, all I can say is I'll never go back to a listed boat ever again. The wave, even though looks similar has way more push and I can do tricks that previously I'd loose the wave and start all over, now I can make mistakes but not loose the wave and try again with our having to go thru all the turn around, get the rope and start again (which is bad on gas and the engine) and its all due to more push (if I had to put a % it feels like its pushing 30% better then before.) Everyone from beginners to advance riders like the wave so all I can say is try it! You'll be impressed, some shops will even do a performance guarantee so you can maybe even try it for a weekend and then decide after you ride the wave. 4 people ended up buying the Mission Delta after trying mine in 1 weekend. Bottom line is these suck gates work and allow the boats engine to run mostly flat vs listed and I remember when I ran listed the boat always sound like the engine shaft seemed torqued running listed and now I don't get those noises at all.

Comment

My buddy just made his own suck gate for his 06 Ve and was very pleased with the results. He sent me a few pics, but I almost always think that pics rarely do a wave justice. But it was clean and long. He had about 2300 pounds and nothing up front. I wonder if suck gates make front weight not so important? His port wave actually looks better than Murphini's.

With another friend's homemade suck gate, we even got a pretty nice long wave going on a Nautique 200 ski boat with 2600 pounds of sacks laying all over.
          Be excellent to one another.

Comment

I would be interested to know what difference in engine speed you have with the delta -vs- listed?

Comment

engine speed as in RPM's or actual speed? haven't checked RPM's yet, unfortunately the boat has now been put away for the winter but I'm running my RZ2 at the same speed as listed (10.8) but I did upgrade my prop last year to the 1235 so if its rpm then the prop info is also needed as it'll vary depending on what model you run as well as what engine you have. My guesstimate is the RPM will be slightly higher as you are running more weight BUT the weight is now even (flat) and the engine will run with the oil and lubricants as it was designed to do. I was always afraid of excess damage due to the listing of my boat (I was past the rub rail) when it came to drive shaft and lubrication. And as mentioned I used to have creaks when surfing and now that we run mostly even those creaks have gone away.

Comment

If morphini bled off about 20% from that starboard bag, that spline he's getting in the wave will go away.

Taps 3 boats experience somewhat the same thing. When riding goofy, the boat rolls over just a perfect amount when the taps 3 plate get deployed on the opposite side. Regular is a different story..... in my case it is mostly a function of driver.... I'm not a small guy and either are any of my friends. I just need to force the boat about 2 deg more on the port side and it cleans right up. Allittle extra weight for me works like a charm. I could bleed weight off from the opposite side but just choose to add additional elsewhere instead.

Stock surf XL in the back, only about 60% up front..... get the spline.

only difference here..... 450 lb bag on the floor and a speed bump from 10.8 to 11.2

same setups as above but none fish eye go pro.

Comment

So by your pics or the port wave that line in the wave is caused by to much off side ballast. Take a little out. We are using a DIY style wedge and have played with it for over 25 hours. I have found that the boat still needs to be listed a little if fully sacked out. We fill both sides the take some out till that line goes away and the lip becomes crisp. But it has made the wave killer! Not even the same wave we have ridden for years.

How well does the delta hold after you switch sides? My DIY has to be place on a dry surface to not slide back.
                  Wake Up or Stay On Shore!

Comment

This definitely has my curiosity peaked! I just haven't been super excite about my surf wave on my 2014 zx with vx. A couple questions:

1) does the mission delta change the boat handling and fuel economy much?
                    2) does anybody have any good measurements from the delta. my brother is super talented at making things like this but would like to have an idea of what size to start with.
                    3) would i still want my vx on if i went to something like this?

Thanks for any input. I would rate my surf wave at about a 7 right now. I'd love to get it better plus be able to switch sides. we always have a boat full of people and i hate having to control who goes based on what side we have filled up!

Comment

TheGerman618: my 24ve is totally stock with factory swimplatform and nothing else except the MD Wake Shaper. I put it just under the water line on my swoosh graphic to the lip of the chine...not under the chine, and under the logo--not all the way back.

Thanks for the suggestion on taking out some off side ballst. Will do next time out. Most of the surfers with me are all beginners so I'm not a wave expert-but I've found the MissionDelta helps me get running really well.

I'm still a semi-novice in getting the wave right; sometimes there is secondary lip/line in the port wake caused by my swimplatform. I've told newbies to find that path to guide them into the wave. I used to run 9.8 to get a steeper wave thinking that would give better push, but now realize that that a shorter wave has more push and the steeper wave is harder to find the sweet spot because you get going too fast in the face of it, unless you know how to surf well. And the pictures do not do the wave justice; both sides looks way better and curl-y in person.

I'm just happy that I can switch easily and quickly, the wave has more push, more newbies have found it easier to ride, and my wife and passengers like the unlisted boat. She always worried before that we were too listed to one side.

Last--I almost think the wave worked better with just 4 people in boat--no one in front--than when I had 10 people with 3 big guys in front.

Comment

Originally posted by murphini View Post
                        TheGerman618: my 24ve is totally stock with factory swimplatform and nothing else except the MD Wake Shaper. I put it just under the water line on my swoosh graphic to the lip of the chine...not under the chine, and under the logo--not all the way back.

Thanks for the suggestion on taking out some off side ballst. Will do next time out. Most of the surfers with me are all beginners so I'm not a wave expert-but I've found the MissionDelta helps me get running really well.

I'm still a semi-novice in getting the wave right; sometimes there is secondary lip/line in the port wake caused by my swimplatform. I've told newbies to find that path to guide them into the wave. I used to run 9.8 to get a steeper wave thinking that would give better push, but now realize that that a shorter wave has more push and the steeper wave is harder to find the sweet spot because you get going too fast in the face of it, unless you know how to surf well. And the pictures do not do the wave justice; both sides looks way better and curl-y in person.

I'm just happy that I can switch easily and quickly, the wave has more push, more newbies have found it easier to ride, and my wife and passengers like the unlisted boat. She always worried before that we were too listed to one side.

Last--I almost think the wave worked better with just 4 people in boat--no one in front--than when I had 10 people with 3 big guys in front.
                        How far back are you placing the mission delta. I have a 2006 24ve and I am trying to dial in the placement. I have had some amazing results when we were last at powell and it was awesome for switching from regular to goofy.

Comment

25Cents: I think I put it about 12 inches from the back--like right under the 24ve logo; so not all the way back. I usually lean over the engine cover and put it on, or I'll reach from the swimdeck and put it on.

Jeremiah: I don't believe it has changed the fuel economy or handling--in fact I think when the rider falls and I let off the throttle the wave passing me by is tamer than when I was listed. Instructions say to take it off if you are going to go faster than 14mph.

It sticks really well on the wet surface; I just have to remember to undo the latches and make sure the suction cups are flexed before I put back on the other side and then put the latches down on the suction cups.

I don't know the size--it's on the boat; but....I decided to buy mine to financially help the guys who actually did the engineering and are taking the small businessman's risk of starting a company doing something better than I could have done. I know I spent more, but in the whole scheme of things I believe I definitely received value for the money I spent.

Anything on a boat is hard to financially justify--but to paraphrase the MasterCard commercials, being able to get a better wave and switch in seconds is "priceless"

Comment

Jeremiah - what ballast are you using? Stock ballast really isn't enough with the Vx. However if you do get a suck gate it will allow you to weight both sides and get the most out of stock ballast.

Look up "suck gate" on this site and you will find assorted designs. They are all based on an amazon aluminum suction cup.

Sent from my BlackBerry Priv

Comment

Originally posted by jeremiah.hough View Post
                              This definitely has my curiosity peaked! I just haven't been super excite about my surf wave on my 2014 zx with vx. A couple questions:

1) does the mission delta change the boat handling and fuel economy much?
                              2) does anybody have any good measurements from the delta. my brother is super talented at making things like this but would like to have an idea of what size to start with.
                              3) would i still want my vx on if i went to something like this?

Thanks for any input. I would rate my surf wave at about a 7 right now. I'd love to get it better plus be able to switch sides. we always have a boat full of people and i hate having to control who goes based on what side we have filled up!
                              1a - boat handling is slightly altered but nothing thats not able to be compensated for (friends have another version of age and their steering is impacted a ton, the DM not so much)
                              1b - fuel economy goes up for sure, now I'm running 1400 in each corner and 400/400 upfront, I'd hate to guess but compared to listing 1400/400/400 I'd guess 25% more
                              2 - sorry not at the cabin but almost everyone things its too small so they all go bigger but from what I see I guess some things in smaller packages give just as much punch as bigger
                              3 - I was thinking of taking the VX off as well and trying it without but I have a feeling thats a project I'll never get to (like so many other projects I try to get to but don't)

Comment

Working...
                              X