MasterCraft Dockstar delivers revolutionary steering control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MasterCraft Dockstar delivers revolutionary steering control

I always had an idea of having a rudder in front of the propeller for reverse would be a good idea. I guess having two to the sides wouldn't interrupt the normal prop operation or cause cavitation.

Anyway, looks interesting!
    http://www.mastercraft.com/dockstar
    Attached Files
    Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

I was intrigued when I saw this a while back. wonder how the linkage works and if it changes the steering effort. power steering gonna be next??
    2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
    2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

I guess they had to come up with something for people that can't figure out how to drive a boat around docks! Hahaha
      surf till u die.

Comment

Making it easier, improves user experience = more sales
        I quite like the idea, will be interesting to see how (or if) other manufacturers answer to this

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Comment

The patents are sealed up good and tight on this one, guess they figured it out after they almost went backup a few years back. Good on MasterCraft for coming up with this looks sweet.
          My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

Least its not like this prop side thrust

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=726_1472759193

Comment

meh....people who can't drive a boat are still not going to be able to drive a boat. Now if that thing could account for wind, drift, currents, rollers from other boats and back their trailer for them, they might be onto something. I think bow thrusters would be waaaaay more useful.

But yes, I do think they might sell a few of those to wealthy, well groomed, cardigan wearing, slightly greying gentlemen who never bothered to learn how to drive.......which is of probably who they market to. For the most part, anything more than a couple of short 1-2 second burst in reverse is a sign your not thinking things through. Seriously, I can't remember a time where I drove in reverse long enough to even begin using something like that.

Comment

Pretty sure of ourselves huh Bakes5? I could see this being useful as hell for a busy ramp on a 118 degree day.

Comment

Kinda cool idea...would like to see how it effects performance first....imo seems like its finding a solution for something that there wasn't a problem in the first place, but well see

Comment

Most of us are used to backing up, of course, but I would think it would be a big help for someone coming from an I/O.
                    Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Don't they already offer bow thrusters? Seems like a much easier idea then this?
                      Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

Agree with the above. This is a feature for an inexperienced inboard user. People who have been driving them for years usually have no issue maneuvering their boats in tight spaces.

I see people around the marina maneuver 30 foot house boats with single inboards around the dock all the time. Anytime you think driving a small 20-23 foot low profile tow boat around the dock is tough I encourage you to try said houseboat. You will realize how maneuverable these boats really are.

Comment

I've done the busy ramp dance many, many times. Can't say that I have ever really been frustrated by lack of reverse maneuverability. I have, on the other hand, seen countless idiots in I/O going way to fast in reverse and a couple times bumping into other boats.

I like the thought and innovation but it seems needlessly complex for something that is a non issue for anyone who spends a little time learning how to maneuver their boat. Just spend the time figuring out how your boat spins and drifts and it's pretty easy to be very precise with minimal reverse input.

Still say a bow thruster would be waay better.

Comment

Or a super simple stern thruster. Could easily attach one to a wakeplate design.
                            Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

My guess is it's addressing the experience that a current I/O or outboard owner has when they first demo an inboard. Word from the various boat manufacturers is that they win or lose most sales based on that first demo. If you're coming from an I/O, and have no experience driving an inboard, it can feel really uncontrollable at first and I can see (wives especially) shying away from an inboard if they don't feel they have control of it.

BTW, this is one of the key reasons that Skier's Choice bought AutoWake. Many dealers (theirs and other brands, too, we heard this from everyone) don't know how to set up a good demo surf wave. The boat could have awesome potential but if it's being operated by an inexperienced salesman, the demo could suck and the customer will look elsewhere. When they happen to get a good salesman and have a good experience, bingo - that's the boat they buy. One big advantage SC gets with AutoWake is ANY salesman can give a great demo - they just push the button and AutoWake arranges things for a great wave or wake, no matter how many people are onboard or where they are sitting. We suspect they are going to have a huge first-demo advantage starting with model year 2017!

For those folks who worry about maneuverability around the dock, maybe Mastercraft's new rudder system will give them some traction too.

Comment

Working...
                              X