Rz4 with 343

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rz4 with 343

I currently have a 2006 24v with the 380 marine power and we are looking at a 2012 rz4 with the 343 in it. Any concerns with the size of that boat without the upgraded engine? We surf mostly but will wakeboard a bit.

Thanks!

I consider my Z3 with a 440 in it just adequate.

Comment

I have a Z1 with a 343. I too consider that just adequate for the size of boat. Seems that you would be disappointed with that large of a boat with only the 343.

Comment

Where are you located? Elevation will be a big factor here.

Comment

KyleRass41 I have a 2011 RZ4 with the 343 in it and surf with no problem. I weight the boat with about 3,000 pounds ballast/people. I weigh 230 pounds and it pulls me up with ease.

Comment

The RZ series isn't as heavy as the Z series. An RZ4 is only 200lbs heavier than a Z1. So for comparables you are somewhere between a Z1 and a Z3 in actual weight.

My Z1 has the 343 and it isn't explosive by any means, but with the right propeller it can move buildings.

I think the better question is what top speed / cruise speed do you expect? No motor is too small, but some top speeds will be too high to achieve depending on your propeller.

(operating elevation is also a consideration)
            Last edited by JohnnieMo; 09-06-2016, 07:14 PM.

Comment

We rode behind an RZ4 with the 343 a few summers ago. Surfing the boat was fine. Wakeboarding the boat took a long time to get to plane and with ballast full would not plane. The owner thought he had an issue with the boat but it was just overly underpowered.

Personally I wouldn't own one with the 343. If you just surf and prop it right you'd probably be OK. But like said above your going to give up ALOT of top end. To get enough power your going to have a sub 30 mph boat probably.

Comment

Lot of great feedback! Love the looks of the boat and price is good. Just wish it had the larger engine from some of the comments. Hmmmmm

Comment

I also wakeboard behind the boat and have no issues planing out there either. We also pull a 2 person tube at 28mph behind the boat.

Comment

I towed a 3 person tube this summer. 12 people on the boat. Lake was washed out. All with my "out of balance" 1433 prop. I was using all of it but it did the job.

Again it's all about what top speed you expect.

This 343 is not a slouch. It runs 430 ft-lbs.

Sent from my BlackBerry Priv
                    Last edited by JohnnieMo; 09-07-2016, 05:59 AM.

Comment

We have the 24Ve (same length, similar weight) with the EX343. We probably ballast heavier than most people, and it works great. Surfing and wakeboarding both. We run the 1235 prop, top end is right at 40 MPH. Great fuel economy. Unless you're at high altitude, I wouldn't dismiss the EX343 too quickly!

Comment

Working...
                      X