Rattling noise while in gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rattling noise while in gear

I am getting a rattling noise while in gear. When we first put the boat in the water all is good. But after it warms up we get a rattling noise. It started off happening occasionally while in forward motion only. Then it would go away for the rest of the day. However, today it happened again and didn't go away. It was happening today in forward and reverse. So I took it off the water.

Upon first hearing the noise I checked the fluids of the transmission and engine. Both are at the proper levels and the fluids are clean.

I don't smell anything burning or feel anything getting hot.

I can't feel any abnormal vibration just an audible sound.

Cant really tell if it gets worse while under speed because the engine noise drounds out the sound and you cannot hear it.

When I left up the floor board and put it into gear it doesn't sound like it is coming from the transmission. It sounds further back.

I have also noticed that we would never get water in the engine compartment and now we are. (This of course can be from all sorts of different things). Not sure if a symptom of the problem.

I am wondering if there is a problem with the seal/collar where the prop shaft exits through the hull? Maybe this seal isn't sealing as it should allowing water into the boat and causing a rattling noise as the prop shaft rotates.

We have always taken it in for the regular maintenance.

As far as I know we have never hit any object in the water.

The boat has 230 hours on it with the PCM343 engine.

Do you guys have any ideas of what to look at or any other troubleshooting steps. I haven't looked in the owners manual yet. I was wondering if the prop shaft seal/collar is a regular maintenance item.

Any input would help.

Thank you.

I have the same motor and mine also does this. I've told the dealer but they don't seem to take it seriously. My boat only has 120 hours.

Sent from my BlackBerry Priv

Comment

Just a thought have you checked the storage locker doors or the other compartments? On mine the starboard locker door loosened and it was a quick adjustment of the latch. Just need 2 wrenches. If you know it's the engine I can't help you. Good luck I knew these things can be frustrating.

Comment

JohnnieMo-That doesnt sound encouraging. Our local dealer changed ownership awhile back and I have not heard good things.

Rz-I am pretty certain in this case the sound is not coming from the locker doors. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Comment

I don't have enough knowledge to know if this is insignificant or maybe part of the problem. I am thinking that this sleeve should make contact all the way around the prop shaft to prevent vibration or rattling. Unfortunately, I don't know what it looked like originally. Below are some pictures of what I saw. Does anyone know if these gaps are normal? I tried pushing and pulling on the prop and there is not any play in it. Of course the boats can put a lot more torque on it than I can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

If you have the PSS it will make that noise if the bellows are not compressed enough with the collar.

Comment

I'll have to dig around more the next time I'm out. Mine only occurs at very low throttle. It is almost like the vibration is shaking something. Of course, I've since learned my propeller was out of balance, so that could be my culprit. I'll keep you apprised.

Comment

Lee-sorry for my lack of knowledge but would you mind elaborating some. I am not familiar with what a PSS is and bellow compression. Are you referring to a collar where the prop shaft exits the boat?

Johnnie-thanks again for the information. I believe in this case my prop is good. I can't feel the vibration but there is definitely an audible noise that can be heard and is not normal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

It doesn't look like I have a PSS. I posted a picture below of what I have. Is this what would be referred to as the stuffing box?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I forgot to mention that yesterday when I pulled the boat out I drained the water that was in the bottom of the engine compartment. Sine then it has been parked in the garage. This morning the engine compartment had a significant amount of water again but it hasn't been back in the water since I drained it yesterday. When I get home I will look around and try and find where it is coming from.

Still not sure if this is a symptom of my problem or if I have two problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I checked this again yesterday with my good prop. Turns out the vibration is only when the boat is not in gear. It is just a rattle. Must be something loose somewhere. I'm not convinced it is even mechanical.

Sorry this doesn't help.

Sent from my BlackBerry Priv

Comment

Working...
                        X