Taps3 plate broke, but we got her back!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taps3 plate broke, but we got her back!

We had a Taps 3 plate fail. The welds busted off and it totally sucked. But Tige came thru big time! Hey sent us the new designed plates for both sides and its killer. Might be all in my head but the wave seems way better. Best part was that it only took a few days from the time she broke to the time we were back out!

Just wanted to send out a huge thank you to Redline Watersports! Happy labor Day weekend

Last edited by CiscoCat; 09-03-2016, 07:12 AM.

Nice! That's the customer support that Tige is known and respected for in the boating world.

Also nice that your dealer backed you up. With some of the horror stories about dealers here recently, it's nice to hear about the good ones too.

Comment

What is the difference in the design?
      Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Originally posted by talltigeguy View Post
        What is the difference in the design?
        I'm curious about this as well.

Tigé is notorious for tweaking the design on their boats on an ongoing basis. As much as I applaud the commitment to improvement it makes it really hard to know what they hell you are buying (particularly for the used market)

Sent from my BlackBerry Priv

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnieMo View Post
          Tigé is notorious for tweaking the design on their boats on an ongoing basis. As much as I applaud the commitment to improvement it makes it really hard to know what they hell you are buying.
          That IS definitely annoying, but all of the manufacturers do it - which means if any of them stop, they will quickly be at a competitive disadvantage. It's a tough business, lots of moving targets and the products are very expensive. I can tell you from personal experience, the folks in the industry are in it because they LOVE what they do, not because it is easy!

Comment

According to my dealer. The 2016 Z3 Anniversary edition we got was an early run, so it had their first design which they put on every boat that was getting taps3. Now they have a design thats model specific. So the Z1 will have a different plate than the Z3 and so on.

The original set had a smaller lip and the underside had a small wedge welded to it, giving the underside some angle. Also the top had an adjustment bracket for where the actuator could be installed in three different positions.

The newest set is longer with a slightly larger lip and no wedge welded to the underside. Also there is no adjustment bracket on the top, just a fixed single point of attachment.

We have SurfXL and we still find that with about 4-6people onboard its Full ballast in back 25%up front and Taps3 @ 2 and Taps @ 5 its the sweetest consistently.

If Tige had of sent the old design to be put pack on and I found out at a later date they had changed the design, I would have said how could they make this better....but they did and it's awesome!!

This picture is of the original set. I will get some wave pics today.

Comment

Any idea yet on how to integrate trailer straps onto a boat with Taps 3 yet?

It is called Research and Development by owner. Tige does it more than others from what I have seen. We can spin it that Tige is not afraid to change something as soon as they see an opportunity for improvement...or we can spin it that they don't fully research things before they release them. Depends on if you are a hater or a lover
              Be excellent to one another.

Comment

I have a 2016 Rzr and been having trouble dialing in my wave. I've been playing with the taps3 in the driveway making sure the different plates are working properly. My center taps plate works fine through the adjustments. My taps 3 surf plates will not move ( either side ) while adjusting the settings in the surf screen. I also discovered I have broken welds on the right side plate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by treeman77 View Post
                  I have a 2016 Rzr and been having trouble dialing in my wave. I've been playing with the taps3 in the driveway making sure the different plates are working properly. My center taps plate works fine through the adjustments. My taps 3 surf plates will not move ( either side ) while adjusting the settings in the surf screen. I also discovered I have broken welds on the right side plate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                  You will not be able to adjust the Taps 3 plates while sitting in your driveway. The system is designed to only have movement in the plates when the engine is running so you'll have to be in the water or hooked up to a fake-a-lake to move the plates in the surf screen.

The Taps 3 plates have 15 settings. 15 is is all the way up, when the plate is stowed. 1 is the plate is fully deployed down vertically.

What setups have you tried? Would be easier throwing out some setups if we knew what you've tried so far.

Comment

The last time we surfed I was taps3 at 1(fully deployed). Taps at 3 or 4 I think. Rear bags 100% and front 60%. 10.8 mph. The wave was huge but looking for more length. I was talking to my dealer and they recommend Taps 3 at 7 or 8 and Taps at 3or 4. I tried that and my boat would not make a wave at all. Not sure if it has to do with the bracket on the taps3 plate starting to come un welded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Z3CO23 View Post
                      You will not be able to adjust the Taps 3 plates while sitting in your driveway. The system is designed to only have movement in the plates when the engine is running so you'll have to be in the water or hooked up to a fake-a-lake to move the plates in the surf screen.
                      That's weird. What's the reasoning there? They are Lenco actuators, right? They run on electric power and don't need the engine. Even if they were Bennett hydraulics, they still run on electric power and don't need the engine. My 2009 TAPS2 plate is Bennett and I can move the actuator anytime.

Comment

I ran into the service guy from the local Tige dealer today on the lake and told him about my taps 3 plate separating at the welds and the plates not moving up and down in the driveway. He told me tige would send new plates for both sides and the plates won't move unless the boat is running at least 7mph.

Comment

Originally posted by treeman77 View Post
                          I ran into the service guy from the local Tige dealer today on the lake and told him about my taps 3 plate separating at the welds and the plates not moving up and down in the driveway. He told me tige would send new plates for both sides and the plates won't move unless the boat is running at least 7mph.

If they don't want those old plates back you let me know.

Sent from my BlackBerry Priv

Comment

Yep. I don't think they move until in motion. At about 7-8 MPH, the boat essential lists over. Same sensation when moving from left to right on the surf screen.

I'm guessing this is so that the boat behaves better during holeshot and pickup.

Comment

Also, can you take some close up picks of your new brackets so that we can see if ours are old or new? Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X