Beyond Frustrated!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beyond Frustrated!

I posted awhile back on the Facebook page about having issues with my 14 Z1 stalling, since then I've had nothing but issues everytime I've taken then boat out for nearly the past two months. The boat has the 350 Indmar M57 motor.

The first time the engine stalled on me, we had been surfing for a few hours that afternoon, and were headed in to the ramp when it occurred. When the boat got up to around 1800rpm I felt a 'miss' in the motor, almost as if the prop had slipped. Idled a little bit further then opened it back up, didn't happen again. When approaching the no wake zone, went back to idle and a few moments later the motor stalled and would not restart. This was at about 50 hours on the motor. As the boat is still under warranty, I took it into the dealer and he diagnosed the problem to be the low pressure fuel pump. The parts were ordered from Indmar and was "fixed" the following week once the parts came in. A water test was done and all was well.

After the fix, we had the boat out for a few hours and while under load and surfing, the engine stalled on us twice, but was able to get it restarted each time. This happened at around 54 hours.

The following weekend, we took the boat back out and had my niece and nephew with us. We pulled the kids all afternoon on the tube with the engine stalling once in the process. When we started surfing, 3 pulls in, the motor again stalls when under load. It happened a few more times, but each time we were able to get it restarted. Finally after 5-6 times of this happening, the engine decides it doesn't want to start at all. The engine would turn over, but wouldn't start. After letting the boat sit for awhile to cool down, it restarted, but sounded like it almost had air in the line as the fuel was pulled from the tank. Idled back to the ramp, and took it home. The following morning, I pulled the fuel intake to see if anything was blocking the screen that is on the pickup line, purged the line from the fuel filter back, and took it back down to the lake. The boat started right up, let it idle on the trailer for a bit to make sure it would stay running. We decided to head out and cruised for a little while to get to a swimming spot. Later on when we started surfing, 6-7 pulls in, the engine stalls again and will not restart this time. It would turn over, but not start. Ended up getting a tow back into the ramp. At this point, the boat has 59 hours on it.

Called the dealer first thing Monday morning and told him what was going on. He has had the boat all week and finally heard back today that he thinks its the high pressure fuel pump this time and might have been damaged when the low pressure fuel pump went out. The part again had to be ordered from Indmar and at this point, he's saying it's unlikely that I'll have a boat for Labor Day weekend.

Words cannot explain how frustrated my wife and I are with essentially our brand new boat right now. We have made so many memories with the boat already and get so many compliments on the workmanship and quality of our Tige. The only thing is, each time that we have been out the past two months, it has been unreliable and now summer is almost over. I asked for a loaner boat for the weekend, and the dealer's response was Indmar would likely not cover the cost under the warranty...

I find it odd that most of the time the engine stalls is when we are surfing. Could it be something when all of the fuel is angled down toward the end of the tank with the pickup line when the boat is listed surfing? Could it be bad fuel? Could possible bad fuel make both the low pressure and the high pressure fuel pumps go out? The battery voltage is fine, when running I am consistently getting 13.8 - 14V, when sitting, I have 12.5V or better.

Starting to feel with all my issues this summer and the lack of being able to depend it when going out, I got a lemon...

Bad fuel would be more consistent than random and would resolve itself at the next fill up, unless your fueling station continued to get bad gas.

Ask the dealer to put on a fuel gauge, load the ballast and go drive it for a spell.

When it stalls, does it die in a split second or does it seem to stumble and chug to a stop?
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Did the dealer read the codes on the engine and tell you why it was shutting down before? From the angle that it's happening I'm wondering if the oil level is too high or too low and the listed angles for surfing are causing some type of code in the engine.

It could also be an improperly positioned fuel pickup as well?? I'm just spitballing here, thinking about the differences in the mechanics of the boat when it's listed for surfing vs regular cruising. It definitely sounds like it has something to do with listed running. Is the bilge dry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
      2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
        Bad fuel would be more consistent than random and would resolve itself at the next fill up, unless your fueling station continued to get bad gas.

Ask the dealer to put on a fuel gauge, load the ballast and go drive it for a spell.

When it stalls, does it die in a split second or does it seem to stumble and chug to a stop?
        My work schedule hasn't allowed me to go out with him during the week so not sure if he has been able to replicate the problem exactly. Invited him out with me over the weekend, but that didn't happen. When the engine stalls, it stalls immediately.

Also, I have filled up at two different stations with 91 octane and have had the same issue.

Comment

it stalls immediately.
          This sound ignition. Lose of fuel and the engine usually slows to a stop and may stumble and chug a little. Spark stops and engine dies NOW!
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by Ewok View Post
            Did the dealer read the codes on the engine and tell you why it was shutting down before? From the angle that it's happening I'm wondering if the oil level is too high or too low and the listed angles for surfing are causing some type of code in the engine.

It could also be an improperly positioned fuel pickup as well?? I'm just spitballing here, thinking about the differences in the mechanics of the boat when it's listed for surfing vs regular cruising. It definitely sounds like it has something to do with listed running. Is the bilge dry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            I forgot to ask today what codes he pulled from the engine. I will be talking with him in the morning and will bring that up. If the engine oil is low you'd think I'd get an alarm, but I never have. When checking the dip stick, it's right where it should be.

The bilge is usually bone dry. Only water I usually get is from the drain plug on the cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
              This sound ignition. Lose of fuel and the engine usually slows to a stop and may stumble and chug a little. Spark stops and engine dies NOW!
              Now the times it hasn't restarted, the engine will turn over, spit and sputter for a bit, then eventually die a few seconds later.

When the engine stalls under load, I hardly get any hesitation, only my wife cruising past the side of the boat as it comes to a halt.

Comment

I had a loose wire to the coil that caused this sort of problem on my 2005 Tige. It would run great, then for whatever reason the wire would lose power and the boat would stop. A smart mechanic was able to run the boat on the trailer, and started wiggling wires. As soon as he got the right wire, it would start to cut out. 300 hours later without any problems, I sold it to Bad05. Just thinking this sounds more like an ignition issue as well.
                Be excellent to one another.

Comment

I agree with the others. Sounds like ignition more than anything. I had similar problem with a previous boat except it didn't just die out of nowhere. It took me forever to figure it out. My problem was that I had a bad coil. I always thought when a coil either was good or bad and didn't slowly wear. I could run around and tube and usually get to my swim spot then it wouldn't start. Long story short, the coil would get hot and not fire or barely fire. That is where the similarities between the problem are. It would sputter and start for a sec but die. Had to wait for it to cool down before would run again. My opinion is ignition though.

Comment

Definitely even more frustrated after talking to my dealer today as I have to tell our friends that the boat is spending Labor Day weekend at the dealer and won't be able to go out. This was probably going to be one of the last weekends in September that we'd be able to make it out with my work schedule picking up for the months of September and October. Nothing like owning a boat and not being able to use it when you need to. Dealer is saying the earliest I will get the boat back is Wednesday and couldn't do anything about getting me a loaner boat for the weekend as it's not covered under part of the warranty.

Hopefully the high pressure fuel pump is the solution, and the problem goes away. The information I received was with the wiring harness connected to the HP pump, 12 volts was not present. With the wiring harness disconnected at the HP pump, 12 volts was present at the connector leading the dealer to believe the HP pump was not functioning.

More to come folks!

Comment

If it makes you feel any better.....
                      those of us on the east coast aren't likely to get a whole lot of boating in this weekend either.......
                      Last edited by Z3 LKG; 09-02-2016, 11:28 PM.

Comment

x2 on ignition or other electrical. Even an intermittent HPFP would give the sputter and slow stop that ChpThril mentioned. I'd look at the safety switch and the wiring going to it. Also try this test: Have the engine running, and pull the safety lanyard. Does that behave the same as the problem? It nicely simulates sudden loss of ignition.

Comment

Seems like the dealer could let you use his Demo boat. Most dealers have one. I bought a loaner car and would loan it to customers when they had their cars in for service. Going the extra mile goes a long way when you're in sales and service.
                          I do all my own stunt work. hey ya'll watch dis.

Comment

Originally posted by robert theisen View Post
                            Seems like the dealer could let you use his Demo boat. Most dealers have one. I bought a loaner car and would loan it to customers when they had their cars in for service. Going the extra mile goes a long way when you're in sales and service.
                            Couldn't agree more robert, makes the situation even worse. I understand they are doing all they can do to get my boat fixed as quickly as possible, but its the little things like providing a boat for the holiday weekend, that make a good dealer a great dealer.

Comment

Working...
                            X