Battery tender/charger -- 2016 Z3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery tender/charger -- 2016 Z3

Ok....who has used a charging system on their batteries? Something to just plug in and not worry about? There is a little sticker that says not to charge the batteries unless disconnected. I'm guessing that means not using one of the high amp chargers.

In any case.....anyone have a wired in charger/tender on their newer boat?

I use a dual bank charger on my 14 z3. I just turn the battery knob to off. I've had no issues. I have a promariner 20 amp dual bank

Comment

Man, I love having the chargers, may be overkill, but I never have to worry about it. Always start the day out fresh and easy to maintain. I do not disconnect the batteries ever.
      -Brandon Lucas
      Houston, Tx

Comment

I have he promariner 20 also and the blue sea ACR. I turn the batteries to off before plugging in charger as so to not damage the ACR.
        I like having the charger as my boat sits in a slip all year and disconnecting my batteries would be a major PIA. I keep it plugged in for weeks at a times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bakes5 View Post
          Ok....who has used a charging system on their batteries? Something to just plug in and not worry about? There is a little sticker that says not to charge the batteries unless disconnected. I'm guessing that means not using one of the high amp chargers.

In any case.....anyone have a wired in charger/tender on their newer boat?
          If wired properly, turning the main battery switch off, in effect, disconnects them from everything except the auto-bilge. Now, I suspect that the ACR is wired to the battery side of the switch. Moving forward with a charger, you would want to relocate the ACR's cables to the boat side of the switch. This also isolates it from the batteries and charger.

Using an on-board marine smart charge is a great way to not only maintain the batteries during layup, bit recharge the often depleted house bank after a long day on the lake.

You can simply leave the charges plug somewhere accessible or you can mount a shore power outlet for a clean and accessible spot to just plug up your AC cord. On the Tige, the transom activity bins make a good spot for the outlet. plug up the cord, pull cover over corner of boat.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Does my Z3 have an ACR? Or can I just get the promariner 20 and hook the charging bank wired to the battery terminals.

Comment

they all have the acr, with dual batts. Just turn your batt switch to off before you plug it in. Should be fine.

Comment

First thing I did when I bought the RZ4 last year was replace the house battery with 2 6v golf cart batteries. At that time I added a promariner prosport 20 plus and a noco plug. Worked like a charm but I ended up wanting more juice. My house bank is now 4AGM batteries. When those went in I switched over to two noco genius chargers. A 4 bank for the house and a single bank for the crank. They work great. In my opinion they are both great options. But I like the nocos. I put my plug right next to the battery switch.

I actually still have the promariner if your interested.

BABz - babzusa.com
                Austin, TX

Comment

Promariner 20 just turn off battery switch and plug in

Comment

I need to add a battery tender to my boat. I have a buddy that has a Genius 2 bank 20 amp and he's willing to let me have it but I don't understand all the tech stuff behind the cranking battery and home battery. I know I need to "disconnect" the batteries via the switch or manually before I connect the charger, but will the charger understand which battery is which? Is there anything I need to program on the Genius charger?

Also, I removed the batteries from my boat and made a rookie mistake and didn't pay attention to which battery was connected to which wires. I have a 1,000 CCA and a 550 CCA. When I replace them on my boat, I will connect the 1,000 CCA to the starter wires, right?

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Working...
                    X