No announcement yet.

Nasty Vibration under load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New prop in Canada is $950. Repair is $250. I haven't shopped around much though.

Could also send back to Acme for repair.

First prop was my first time loading the boat. Trailer was too deep.

Second prop was in a shallow boat launch.

Both were good lessons learned. So far no mistakes this year.

I boated for 6 years with my I/O and never hit a thing.

Sent from my BlackBerry Priv
    Last edited by JohnnieMo; 08-30-2016, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Check out redline.ca for a prop. Jon's been good to me.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnieMo View Post
        In fairness to them... How they didn't notice the propeller was the problem is beyond me. I actually asked them to look at it, as I was suspicious, but they never told me it was the problem.
        You are more generous than I would be. Particularly after you now tell us you actually asked them to look at the prop!?! No excuse for their incompetence. None, zero, nada.

Comment

Originally posted by IDBoating View Post
          You are more generous than I would be. Particularly after you now tell us you actually asked them to look at the prop!?! No excuse for their incompetence. None, zero, nada.
          Excuse or not I don't believe in slagging anyone online.... At least until they've had a chance to reconcile the issue. I will talk to them directly.

Here are picks of the prop removed. In a way the pictures actually make it look worse than it is. When I removed it the nut was barely tight and the prop just slid right off. This was after about 15 hours of use. I would have thought it would have seated itself through sheer force.

Comment

If you get a chance I'd send an email tonight or try to call ACME tomorrow and get a quote on them re-balancing and repairing the cup on that prop. It might be cheaper than a new prop and at least you will know it'll be as close to original specs as possible. They will even tell you how much pitch or cup was affected by the repair. It definitely won't be the same as original specs, but it'll be something much better and smoother than you have now.

It's amazing how even a slight ding, dent or ripple can affect the water flowing through the prop disc and any irregularities can send vibrations through the drive train. Same principle, I was flying a plane 2 weeks ago that had a bad vibration on climb out. It was a high power setting, high angle of attack (nose high) and it shook pretty good. We grounded that plane in Seattle and they had to remove and balance all the prop blades on the engines. They all looked perfect but over time they slip a little and get out of balance and they let you know very quickly that it's not right.

Hopefully you get some prop advice from the pros at ACME, they will definitely get you in the right direction to a proper prop repair and hopefully that will be the end of your vibration problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
            2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

New prop in Canada is $950. Repair is $250. I haven't shopped around much though.

Could also send back to Acme for repair.

First prop was my first time loading the boat. Trailer was too deep.

Second prop was in a shallow boat launch.

Both were good lessons learned. So far no mistakes this year.

I boated for 6 years with my I/O and never hit a thing.

DAMN... Well without looking at the conversion rate.. That might be about that we pay here in the U S of A!

You are learning the hard way for sure... But we all have made our fair share of mistakes brotha. Don't let the bashing of the dealer by people on the forum bother you if possible. We are all here to help and only want to make sure that this doesn't happen to someone else. Helps a lot for newbs trying to get their first boat and understanding that not all shops know the world of wakeboard boats and to be careful when selecting them.. I would never even consider a shop unless I came onto the forum and people told me to go to a shop. Dealing with warranty items I am sure is different. I wouldn't know because my boat is older than most people's kids...

Comment

I took the prop in to Prop Masters in Airdrie, Alberta. Stew has 15 years experience doing propellers and is a very straight shooter. I showed him the 1433 and he immediately knew where the "attempted" repair came from. In his words "when you have nothing nice to say....."

He immediately took me into the shop and showed be what was wrong with the propeller. The cup was out by up to 1/4". Each blade was different. The balance wasn't even close. When you laid it on a flat table, it would wobble.

Short story - he is fixing it. FWIW he is the guy who fixes props FOR ACME in Canada.

In future he recommended I look at a 2315 to accomplish my needs (which he sells for $1097 CAD based on our poopy exchange rate)

I'm very pleased I went to see him. Learned more about propellers in 30 minutes than I had prior in my life. I'm sure the propeller will be as good as possible once he is done with it. He showed me some of his other repaired props and they looked new.

--

Bigger picture I think I've learned a lesson. I've always been the type to support the dealer. Doesn't matter what I am buying, but I like to support the company I bought a product from. In my view the best way to keep them around is to support them. So I buy everything at the dealer - service, winterizing, ballast, surf boards, wetsuits etc. However since I bought my Tige I have been swapped to 2 different dealers (the old one closed shop) and about 5 different service managers. I think it behooves me to consider a new strategy. I am going to find a GOOD mechanic. I already have a good prop guy. Since Tige no longer wants to give me warranty anyways, I may as well start to shop for value and quality. One day when I buy a new boat I'll be happy to visit the dealer, but I'm just not seeing an advantage to continuing this path.
                Last edited by JohnnieMo; 09-02-2016, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Bigger picture I think I've learned a lesson. I've always been the type to support the dealer. Doesn't matter what I am buying, but I like to support the company I bought a product from. In my view the best way to keep them around is to support them. So I buy everything at the dealer - service, winterizing, ballast, surf boards, wetsuits etc. However since I bought my Tige I have been swapped to 2 different dealers (the old one closed shop) and about 5 different service managers. I think it behooves me to consider a new strategy. I am going to find a GOOD mechanic. I already have a good prop guy. Since Tige no longer wants to give me warranty anyways, I may as well start to shop for value and quality. One day when I buy a new boat I'll be happy to visit the dealer, but I'm just not seeing an advantage to continuing this path.
                  This is a VERY good lesson. Painful, but following your new opinion will save you lots of misery and disappointment in the future. There ARE good dealers out there, but you cannot safely presume that any given dealer is one of them. Better to find a good person/shop in each discipline (engines, props, etc.) and support THEM.

Comment

It's really worth going the extra mile and learning to do all of the maintenance on your boat as well. I personally can't believe anyone pass $ X to have a boat winterized and or impellers changed. These are simple things you can do yourself and provides better piece of mind that everything has been done. Not just someone telling you. Overall it provides you a better understanding of how your boat works and operates. That way should you run in to an issue on the water you can potentially deal with it right away and continue on with your day or instead be waving your arms looking for a tow. Just this weekend one of my empty pumps wasn't working properly. Pulled out my socket set and jimmy rigged a different pump to get the bag emptied and were back on our way.

Comment

Tried to PM you JohhnieMo says you inbox is full

Comment

Fixed.

Comment

If you aren't certain your propeller blades aren't being timed, you are loosing out.
                          Brpdynamics .com[IMG]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160907/d81f1204de353b44dbc5285ddc882a11.jp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Finally got out to test with my 537. No matter what we did the vibration wouldn't show itself. I'm content the 1433 was to blame.

Still have to edit my gopro vids for my other thread.

Comment

Got my 1433 back. I wouldn't say it looks like new but it sure looks better than it did. The cup isnt perfect but as good as it is going to get.

Comment

Working...
                              X