Mechanic recommendations, mine has given up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mechanic recommendations, mine has given up

Very frustrated!!! Suppose to be in Powell right now, but the boat... My boat is in St. George Utah which seems to be hard place to find quality mechanics. I've had two mechanics that haven given up on my boat so far... Wondering if I should take my boat to Salt Lake, Las Vegas, or SoCal. Anybody recommend somebody good at solving mysteries. I like the most recent guy, he just doesn't know what else to do. I reached out to Tige, but they haven't returned calls... Marine power is underwater with the flooding in Louisiana...

Background on the boat, it's a 2006 22ve with a Marine Power 5.7 with about 350 hours and until recently ran great. First noticed problem in the middle of a 10 day trip at Powell, rough running/missing and lack of power. Feels like it lost 30% of the power, hole shot and WOT. Max rpm is 3800 and top speed of 37.

So far, the cap, rotor, wires, plugs, fuel filter, and an injector have been replaced. Compression has checked out good (150s). Spark is good. Fuel pressure is 58psi.

Trying to decide if I'm taking half a boat to Powell. Or, go without...

Anyway, I could use some recommendations for when I get back. I like to have it running for the reunion.

Did you check the flame arrestor? Could be clogged. Sounds like an air or fuel problem.

Comment

Codes?
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Batch of bad gas? Did it start right after a fillup? Have you pumped the tank and replaced it?

How about running it off a separate portable tank. We keep one around for diagnosing problems like this. A three gallon tank with fuel hose on it, like used for outboards, is a really good diagnostics tool. Use KNOWN FRESH GASOLINE from a trusted source, add some SeaFoam for good measure, and see what happens.

EDIT: Also, does it have a separate fuel/water separator? Has it been drained recently? If the water builds up sufficiently, it can restrict the flow of fuel. We see this a lot in jetskis, which often suffer from fuel tank condensation worse than boats. Drain the filter, and suddenly the engine starts running properly again.
        Last edited by IDBoating; 08-18-2016, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Mike, he said the codes had been checked already in the other thread.
          http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...ough-misfiring

I was wondering if it was like a problem Stingreye was having where the water was getting in his fuel due to surfing on the regular side only.
          I posted a link to it.
          http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...=fuel+injector
          Last edited by TeamAllen; 08-18-2016, 12:17 AM.
          Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

If I had to take the shotgun approach, Ignition module would be next.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Does the 2006 have a low and high pressure pump? If the low pressure pump is going out it could cause similar problems. It may be a long shot but there is a difference if pressure and volume. How are you checking pressure? At idle, just static with the engine off? If you have a volume issue the pressure will oscillate under a load when demand goes up.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAllen View Post
                I was wondering if it was like a problem Stingreye was having where the water was getting in his fuel due to surfing on the regular side only.
                That would be revealed by my "outboard engine gas tank" test, and/or draining the fuel/water separating filter, above.

Comment

cousin had this same boat and iirc similar issues. ended up being something in the ecu/electronics.
                  2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
                  2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Text message sent if your number is still the same. If you haven't tried Morgan at Marine United, I would highly recommend him.
                    Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Moving the vent and replacing the check valve solved my port surfing issues.

The other issue was bizarre and actually came up when you (Little Cricket) went on my boat at the reunion a couple years ago (and it behaved very similar to when I had water in my gas). The perfect pass power cable was interfering with the throttle cable but only when surfing port side and not all the time (the weird part was surfing port and losing all power, unballast and power comes back, surf starboard fine, then lean to port and it would fail again....took way to long to figure it out). It was really bizarre but it acted like there was no power. The check was when I manually moved the throttle, the engine responded, then I noticed how the power cable was causing problems. I rerouted the power cable and it went away. So unless you have throttle by wire, I would verify that the throttle is actually moving.

If its throttle by wire (no throttle cable), don't those potentiometer thingys go out? Is that similar symptoms?
                      Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Have you done a compression check. I had an 07 marine power that had two cylinders that lost compression.

Comment

Originally posted by Stingreye View Post
                          Moving the vent and replacing the check valve solved my port surfing issues.

The other issue was bizarre and actually came up when you (Little Cricket) went on my boat at the reunion a couple years ago (and it behaved very similar to when I had water in my gas). The perfect pass power cable was interfering with the throttle cable but only when surfing port side and not all the time (the weird part was surfing port and losing all power, unballast and power comes back, surf starboard fine, then lean to port and it would fail again....took way to long to figure it out). It was really bizarre but it acted like there was no power. The check was when I manually moved the throttle, the engine responded, then I noticed how the power cable was causing problems. I rerouted the power cable and it went away. So unless you have throttle by wire, I would verify that the throttle is actually moving.

If its throttle by wire (no throttle cable), don't those potentiometer thingys go out? Is that similar symptoms?
                          my thoughts we have had two with almost identical issues...lots of time checking wirring, frustrating yet an "easy" fix

Comment

Crikit,

Did you ever get to the bottom of it?
                            Be excellent to one another.

Comment

For SoCal, I would recommend an Owner here that owns his own shop (BoatWakes aka Cory Weber of Weber Marine) just a thought if you don't get it figured out.
                              My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

Working...
                              X