02 21v temp gauge not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

02 21v temp gauge not working

Hey guys I tried to research and found a tread but links wouldn't work. Temp gauge started to act flakey but now won't work at all. I checked connections on back of gauge but everything seemed good. Anyone have suggestions where to start troubleshooting? 350 mag mpi and all it has is tige on the gauge.

Also does temp alarm to put it into limp mode come off the gauge?

2016-08-17 20.24.49.jpg

Comment

Finally got around to looking at boat again. On the back of the gauge there are 7 wires. 2 purple (double landed), 2 black (double landed), 2 blue double landed, and a beige. Is this the temperature sensor is pic above? It only has 1 wire that is beige. What is the best way to isolate it to gauge or sensor? I tried grounding the lug to the motor but not sure I had a good gound, gauge didn't move. Any help from the experts is appreciated.

Comment

I noticed no one chimed in here so I'll give my experience - from an '05 MPI.

From your picture, that does look like the temp sensor. On mine, it had two temp sensors - one for the ECM and one for the gauge. I had issues with the grounding, which would cause the temp gauge to either peg or show around 190 -210(ish)*. I verified normal temp with a meter (and mechanical gauge) and then began messing with the grounding on the engine - after cleaning and running the boat a few hours the readings started showing more normal ranges (never at the 160* I verfied at however).

Here is the thread to check out:
        http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...mps&highlight=

Comment

When all is working right, when you remove the plug from the sender the gauge will either peg one way or the other. Then if you ground the plug to a good ground source the gauge will peg the opposite direction. If all that happens, just like I said then you need a new sender. That's the easiest place to start. Report back and tell us what happened.

Comment

Appreciate the response. I'll give it a try and let you know what I find

Comment

So started troubleshooting like yall said. Pulled sending unit and did hot water test and resistance was changing, ohm wire back to instrument cluster and it was good. Grounded gauge and it didn't move. Pulled gauge and ended up sending it back to Faria to have it rebuilt. I went that route so all gauges looked the same(not sure if they rebuilt it or put my face on a new gauge). Charged $55 plus shipping to rebuild, got it back put it in and everything seems good. Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Working...
              X