Prop Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prop Change

In the quest for the perfect wake surf boat I am wondering if anyone has experienced playing with props on the newer z3s? Currently running the 1235

We mainly surf and I was reading some of Duffy's posts on his 5 blade adventure but I havent seen much since then.

Our boat is pretty loaded weight wise and with a full boat of people it really had a hard time last weekend.

Is the 2133 an option with the new raptor 400? I dont mind losing top speed if it gets me some more hole juice and in the process is a little more efficient on the bottom.

Any info or experience would be appreciated.

-Jason
    Germaine Marine
    "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

The 2315 is better out of the hole than the 1235

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have the 2419 which is what they put on most of the early 15s and it has plenty of low end power. Many of us on here were complaining about the top end so am sure that's why tige went back to the 1235 as its a middle of the road prop. The 2419 top end on my 400 Z3 is 35 on glass but will yank me out on a slalom ski so I have left it on.

I do have a 2247 I purchased last year that should give it a little more top end and still have good hole shot but haven't tried it out yet, so can't give feedback on it. If you don't mind top end then put the 2419 on it.

Comment

The 2419 on mine has not had any issues so far - we have quite a bit of weight as well. Top end is not an issue for me....

Comment

2419 will pull a car off the bottom of the lake with the Raptor 400!

38.9mph best top end, but we pretty much surf non stop, so top end is not an issue.

Comment

Does anyone happen to know the max allowable propeller diameter on the Z boats? They seem to typically come with a 14.5" and people are making a 15" work. Do we know if Tige agrees with that?

Also a question:

It appears that the 2419 and 2315 are the same pitch and diameter.... but what does the cup difference mean? Does a lower number mean more torque?
            Last edited by JohnnieMo; 08-03-2016, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnieMo View Post
              Does anyone happen to know the max allowable propeller diameter on the Z boats? They seem to typically come with a 14.5" and people are making a 15" work. Do we know if Tige agrees with that?

Also a question:

It appears that the 2419 and 2315 are the same pitch and diameter.... but what does the cup difference mean? Does a lower number mean more torque?
              The more cup you add..... the less top end and more pulling power. (keeping all other factors the same)

I have 2419 on my boat stock with raptor 440 at 5600 feet elevation. I have a slight big of prop slip when I'm really weighted heavy surfing.

Acme recommended just adding more cup and going with the 2313. FWIW

Comment

Originally posted by Z3CO23 View Post
                The more cup you add..... the less top end and more pulling power. (keeping all other factors the same)

I have 2419 on my boat stock with raptor 440 at 5600 feet elevation. I have a slight big of prop slip when I'm really weighted heavy surfing.

Acme recommended just adding more cup and going with the 2313. FWIW
                So to summarize:

In order to increase pulling power you can either decrease pitch or increase cup (or both). All things being equal the 2313 will out-pull a 2315 or a 2419. Yes?

Comment

We're using the 2315 @ about 2300' of elevation. 2016 z3, 400 (Maybe 440 - dont care either way, it smells like dog farts in reverse.) Raptor with the Surf XL ballast and it works awesome for surfing. Holds the speed from 10 to 12 mph without any problems with full ballast and 6 adults.

At 4500 rpm (about 33mph), the torque lean to starboard is very noticable. This was with empty ballast, just seeing how fast it would go. Wasn't interested in pushing the throttle any further.

I had a 1235 on it originally and was unimpressed with the hole shot with full ballast while trying to deep water start surfing. I didn't ever use a stop watch, but I swear it nearly cut the time to get out of the water in half. We started riding in March, so I didn't like sitting in the water, even with a dry suit.
                  Last edited by Lamest; 08-04-2016, 03:30 AM.

Comment

my problem isnt with stock ballast, its when im loaded with an exra G on top of that.

Maybe the 2419 is the way to go....
                    Germaine Marine

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
                      2419 will pull a car off the bottom of the lake with the Raptor 400!

38.9mph best top end, but we pretty much surf non stop, so top end is not an issue.
                      I like it... To the 2419 I go
                      Germaine Marine

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnieMo View Post
                        So to summarize:

In order to increase pulling power you can either decrease pitch or increase cup (or both). All things being equal the 2313 will out-pull a 2315 or a 2419. Yes?
                        dropping the pitch is the most efficient means to improving the hole shot. The trade off is increased WOT RPM and reduced top speed. Cup can be used to maintain the gained hole shot, but lessen the WOT RPM between to props with the same dia and pitch. The 1235 and 1273 are good examples. Same dia and pitch but different props due to the cup.

Another way to lessen the top speed and high RPM trad off of dropping the pitch, is to also go up in diameter. An example of this is going from the 537 to the 1235. Hole shot is greatly improved, but the WOT and top speed is not nearly as effected, as it would be if we stayed with a 13.5 dia and just dropped the pitch.

Now, with a heavily ballasted boat that listed over, I think going up in dia is just as important as dropping pitch. Yes, dropping pitch would improve hole shot, but the added surface area of the dia increase does wonders for better speed holding and reduced cavitation.
                        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

[QUOTE=JohnnieMo;767200]Does anyone happen to know the max allowable propeller diameter on the Z boats? They seem to typically come with a 14.5" and people are making a 15" work. Do we know if Tige agrees with that?

I run 2 different props on my 16 Z3, one for Powell and one for local lakes. Both are 15" props.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                            dropping the pitch is the most efficient means to improving the hole shot. The trade off is increased WOT RPM and reduced top speed. Cup can be used to maintain the gained hole shot, but lessen the WOT RPM between to props with the same dia and pitch. The 1235 and 1273 are good examples. Same dia and pitch but different props due to the cup.

Another way to lessen the top speed and high RPM trad off of dropping the pitch, is to also go up in diameter. An example of this is going from the 537 to the 1235. Hole shot is greatly improved, but the WOT and top speed is not nearly as effected, as it would be if we stayed with a 13.5 dia and just dropped the pitch.

Now, with a heavily ballasted boat that listed over, I think going up in dia is just as important as dropping pitch. Yes, dropping pitch would improve hole shot, but the added surface area of the dia increase does wonders for better speed holding and reduced cavitation.
                            Thanks Chp.

I think I will have another call with Acme about this. I need to decide if I can fit a 15" on my trailer. If I can, that means the 2313 sounds like my best choice.

I can get a lot of slippage and cavitation when listed (either due to surfing, or pulling a tube through corners). 15" should help with that. Makes sense in my brain.

I would never cruise much over 30 MPH. When I'm on a big lake, I am on vacation. That means I'm not in a hurry.

Comment

Thank you for the post.

Comment

Working...
                              X