Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat runs fine and then won't start after sitting

Hi All,

My brother is actually out on the boat this weekend and he is having the below issue. I also had the same problem a few weeks ago and changed the fuel filter. I then ran the boat to temp on the trailer and it seemed to run fine. Any ideas what else might be wrong?

Description of problem. The boat starts fine at the launch ramp on the trailer and seems to run fine, temp stays between 175-180 all the time and i appear to have plenty of oil pressure. But after anchoring the boat or mooring it off for awhile (usually a couple of hours or so to party) the boat won't start when we pack up to leave. Maybe some sort of vapor lock?

The starter is cranking hard and when I turn key on I can hear the fuel pump working and building up pressure in the beginning until it times out. But then, when we tries to turn over but it won't. Thinking the fuel filter was gummed up from sitting I started there and replaced that 2 weeks ago. But my bro just called me stuck out on the lake so that obviously didn't fix the problem. After trying to turn it over many times and after letting the boat sit with the key on (letting the fuel pump build up pressure), it would start and then die, start and then die. Finally he got it running by starting it and then revving it hard in neutral. But i still think something is wrong because it didn't struggle like that last year.

The boat had an annual service about 10 months ago from Tige Water Sports in Corona, CA.

Boat: 05 24V
    engine: 6.0 L Marine Power Vortec
    Hours: about 100 or so

Any input or help would be greatly appreciated. I have got to get this thinking running good for our camping trip in August and of course for Lake Mead in Sept!

6L marine power, look for the fix Dom has on here. It has to do with the cooling system and changing the t-stat plus adding a blocking plate. The motor will heat soak when off. It's a known problem on that motor with a known fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...-0-cooling-MOD

Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Thank you Stingreye!

So the motor is actually overheating because it has been sitting? And when I try and start it I am actually pumping hot coolant into the motor making it harder and harder to start?

I was thinking it was a fuel issue since the boat seems to not have temp problems when I am actually moving.

Sadly, with working 50 hours a week and going to night school I doubt I am going to be able to bock out time to do this myself. I would think the local Tige dealer would be aware of this issue? Do you think this is a mod that they could do? (i am sure it will probably cost me a pretty penny).

Comment

I think the block heats up, heats up the fuel rail, then exhibits vapor lock symptoms. I am not sure I just ran into the thread when researching boats I was looking to buy and seen people have the issue a few times on here. Dom is from Forte's inboard in Florida. I would not expect anyone outside The forum To be aware of it unless Tige communicated it through the dealers or if marine power did. Do search on the forum and verify your symptoms match before doing the fix. Maybe show the thread to the local dealer and see if they would do the fix.

Comment

Will do. Thank you for the quick help!

Comment

Cool! Good luck! Sounds like a relatively quick and easy mod. Have a great trip!

Comment

I had the exact same problem last year. I sucked out my entire tank of winter blend gas and put fresh in and never had a problem again. The winter blends turn to vapor at a much lower temp. If you have it again you can put a damp towel on the fuel lines to cool them down back to a liquid. Probably wouldn't hurt to run the blower more too.

Comment

Working...
                X