I need a new ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need a new ride

So the time has come. I've decided to spend the money on a decent board and stop riding all of these $350-$400 boards. I'm leaning towards the soulcraft/doomswell/chaos end of the spectrum. The only problem I have is where do I buy these boards. I would really like to see it before I buy it online. Also there is the "what model is right for me" thing. Living in Denver, there are only a couple choices for pro shops. Does the squid still do demos?
    Sometimes you have to do what feels good, rather than what feels right.

You may have better luck than me in CO. finding a dealer, its really tough to get on these boards and demo them as an individual looking to find the perfect board unless you know someone that has one or you attend an event they happen to be sponsoring or have boards there to demo. This is NOT to say that Brock, Jeff, Brandon, or any of the other owners of these companies are not willing to get a board under your feet. If fact quite the opposite they want you to demo I have never had nor heard of a bad experience with any of these guys and I have spoken with all of them, for me its location...all the board manufactures are in places like UT, TX, Aussieland, ect. or more than 5 hours away or there dealers are just as far away.
    Chaos Boards is here on the forum...go figure T.O handle is CHAOS
    I started a thread a while back about this same issue, maybe worth the read in the wakesurfing thread about what is the best option for you. I still have not settled on board since frankly I have not been able to demo anything, but with an opportunity to ride a Rusty board here in a month looking forward to finding something soon, or at least potentially eliminating 1 company.

Good Luck, its kind like choosing the best needle in a stack of needles.
    Last edited by Thegerman618; 07-20-2016, 07:20 PM.
    My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

Well good news is the squid is still doing demos and apparently a very busy guy. Setting up a time with him now so looks like soulcraft will probably win out. And I'm sure the squid will be able to help me with model and size as well. I'm pretty excited about it.

Comment

Originally posted by alwayssummer View Post
        Well good news is the squid is still doing demos and apparently a very busy guy. Setting up a time with him now so looks like soulcraft will probably win out. And I'm sure the squid will be able to help me with model and size as well. I'm pretty excited about it.
        I hate to even say this but...Action Watersports also sells Soulcraft's and they might even have stock on hand. Call TJ over there and see what they have. Also, WWS has Idol and Lakewakes boards that you might be able to demo. Idol makes a good board, I had fun on one, and you can take 1 home today! Just throwing out "right now" options if you wanted to ride a board soon. Custom's take a few weeks/months sometimes.

Squid is great though for a custom ordered SC and he is super fun to go out with.
        Last edited by Timmy!; 07-20-2016, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy! View Post
          I hate to even say this but...Action Watersports also sells Soulcraft's and they might even have stock on hand. Call TJ over there and see what they have. Also, WWS has Idol and Lakewakes boards that you might be able to demo. Idol makes a good board, I had fun on one, and you can take 1 home today! Just throwing out "right now" options if you wanted to ride a board soon. Custom's take a few weeks/months sometimes.

Squid is great though for a custom ordered SC and he is super fun to go out with.
          Blasphemy!!! ��. Thanks though. I will check into it. Although we both remember what happened the last time I was in a G23. I'll just leave my son at home.

Comment

Soulcraft for the win!

Comment

So, here's another question. What model soulcraft? I know the honu is super popular. I like the blunt nose of the HC pro, JS pro, ect. But how does everyone feel about the "fang" tail?

Comment

I rode Squid's fang tail a couple of years ago and it was pretty nice!

Comment

I got impatient and pulled the trigger on a HC pro that a fore mentioned dealer had in stock. Holly cow this board is faaaast! My back leg got tired after about ten minutes of burying the tail. With the round tail, the board is still really responsive to cuts and turns. The 360's are gonna need some work as I'm not used to a board like this just yet. Also the water sucked but that's what you get on a Saturday at chatfield. Couldn't be happier and thanks to everyone for their help.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Comment

Congrats! It's hard to pass up that Colorado edition board when it's in stock and ready to shred! So, once you get the muscle memory down from riding a "real" board, you can also look at some fin options that will make the board come alive! Take a look at the fins that Chaos is making and selling. Nick knows his stuff and has spent a lot of time working on wakesurf specific fins. If you don't go with those, Futures has all kinds of options to pick from. I think the stock fin is the Futures F4.

Comment

More on the fins, I have tried the Futures Black Stix and somehow lost one of those so I went with the Future V2 F4 5 fin set and it was even faster than the black stix. They must not make these fins anymore, I couldn't find a link to post. They are a transparent blue with carbon inside of them. Not sure why I chose the 5 fin setup since when I ran it as a quad with the thrusters, it actually seemed slower. I then got the Chaos quad rear set (nubster style) and would run those once in awhile for more control. My favorite setup is to push the twinzer fins all of the way towards the back of the box and just run 2 of the V2 F4's.

Your board is different so you will need to work to find your best setup and it will take some time. My guess is that it's going to take you 3-5 sessions to even get control of the new board compared to what you have been riding and all the while asking yourself why you waited so long.
                      Last edited by Timmy!; 07-25-2016, 12:15 AM.

Comment

Another great fin is the Futures Solus. Me and the 2 buddies I ride with all have them in our boards. The Chaos fins are pretty sweet too. Every board handles different with different fins.

Comment

Working...
                        X