Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Board question - Phase 5 or Ronix (see models below)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Board question - Phase 5 or Ronix (see models below)

I've been riding the Ronix Carbon Thruster in the 5'1 and have been loving it, but I'm now looking for something new that turns into the 360 a bit better and I'm curious if anyone has ridden on any of the boards below and could compare (key word is compare) as I really need help on comparing the board. I'm not into spending $900 Can and then not liking it.

Boards I've hated and have bought - Ronix Carbon Skim, Phase 5 Jam, Byerly Buzz all way too slow

Boards I'm thinking of - Phase 5 Wire, Phase 5 Aku, Ronix blender, Ronix Power Tail

reason for trying something new is I'm finding my 5'1 CT to be a bit too long and having difficulty doing 360's (I only use the centre fin on the CT) but love the speed and the carving. Before you jump onto skim boards, I've tried a few (i.e. Danielo Diamond, etc) and I find them too squirly.

I see the new Thruster only comes in a 4'7 so if anyone has tried both and has comments that would be fantastic to hear.

Do note in Canada some of the boards available in the US are not available up here so we are stuck with the more main stream brands. I would also look at Inland Surfer if some thinks they have a board that fits my style.

Unfortunately our cabin is too far away from any demos and the closest shop is 4 hours away. Although they have said they lend we a couple boards but I'm thinking its bad etiquette to ask for more then 2 to try so the help here will go a long way in picking the 2 boards for me to try.
    Last edited by Robmc9; 07-20-2016, 04:49 AM.

I have the ronix koal power tail and never ride it anymore after buying a soulcraft. The ronix was fun but not what I wanted, you say you love speed and carving, my soulcraft destroys the ronix in that department, I am still working on the 360's as well, I get around but lose it, but I can get a little bit of air now which I couldn't before, but I can recover from way further back now which make it so much more fun, I did pay the 1000$ can. to get a soulcraft, but having said that I wouldn't spend what they want to get a power tail. I bought my power tail cause at the time it was half price, so made sense to start that way. I can't say anything about the phase 5's so sorry can't help you there. But I wouldn't waste my money if you are buying a powertail for full price, go with a real surf maker then. that's my .02$. Where are you located?

Comment

I own the Carbon Thruster 4'7" and have ridden the Honeycomb Power Tail in 4'5" and 4'11". The Power Tail felt more loose and faster down the wave to me. I preferred the 4'5". Fins make a huge difference in how a board can ride as well. Do you still have the stock ones on the Thruster?

Comment

I have a Phase 5 Razz that fits the bill and is more than capable of 360's - just not by me... Let me know if it piques any interest as I may be selling it after this weekend (a local friend might want it).
        2013 RZ2 with Convex VX, MLA Custom Sacs

Comment

P5 Daniello Pro or P5 Hammerhead. Both super fast. If too loose, put on a bigger fin until you get used to it.

Comment

I just aquiredan Inland Surfer Sweet Spot Ultra. First time out, conditions were horrible, but went out with just my wife and I in better conditions. Really fast, super lite, easily turns a 360, can fall way back on the wave and surf back up to the boat. I have never been able to stay on the wave with other boards, but I think with some time on this board next week, it wont be a problem. Will get you some more feedback soon.

Comment

If you like surf style, P5 Wire is good. Way faster than P5 Jam - that board is a dog.

Comment

thanks everyone for your feedback!

dukes - I'm in N.Sask, Soulcraft is not a board I see in the shops I go to but if I have a chance I'll former give them a demo
                surfidaho - yes stock fin in the middle, I'm thinking my trouble is the overall length of the board (5'1)when it comes to spinning as I always catch the tip as it digs in while spinning. I'd say I'm 50% getting around and 50% only doing a 180. I'm 5'9, 190lbs with a steep big wave w/length

Winetige - tried the Diamond Pro and we all felt (about 5 of us demo'd it) and we all found it super slow compared to the Daneilo Diamond. I have looked at the Hammerhead but a couple staff say they love the Wire more but again what everyone likes is not what the other likes and will former try it if I can.
                Its amazing how many boards are dogs, its like these companies aren't even testing the boards before they start selling them. you'd think a mid level to highness board wouldn't be hated by everyone who tries them but so far its been unanimous on a few from the guys here at the lake as we all try everything we can and on multiple boats so we see what each are like on multiple waves.

Tulsa -We have a Razz and an Oogle that we bring out from time to time and both of those boards are way too slow compared to carbon boards, served us well for our 1st year but I've now got use to much faster carbon boards. If you ever have a chance demo a carbon board and you'll see what I'm talking about (not in all cases but in most)

keep the feedback coming as I do believe we can all get something out of peoples loves and hates when it comes to boards.

Comment

Phase 5 wire is suuuuper sick for a surf style. So responsive and still super stable. Hammerhead is also a great option, I ride the Danielo Diamond and loooooove it when it comes to skim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a phase 5 aku and a diamond. The diamond wants to spin but is still fast. The aku is fast and a little squirrely. like them both

Comment

[QUOTE=Robmc9;766323]thanks everyone for your feedback!

dukes - I'm in N.Sask, Soulcraft is not a board I see in the shops I go to but if I have a chance I'll former give them a demo
                      surfidaho - yes stock fin in the middle, I'm thinking my trouble is the overall length of the board (5'1)when it comes to spinning as I always catch the tip as it digs in while spinning. I'd say I'm 50% getting around and 50% only doing a 180. I'm 5'9, 190lbs with a steep big wave w/length

Catching the tip of the board while your spinning has VERY LITTLE to do with the board... Its all about where you spin in the wave, where you transition your weight.

If you continue to purchase production boards.. your progression will be limited..

I am a Canadian distributor for Soulcraft based out of Vancouver and Osoyoos BC. If you have any questions let me know. I have not had a single person tell me they don't like their soulcraft.

I may have a used 1 season old Jimmi sparling pro (4'7") for sale at the end of the season if you are interested.

Comment

Greeko - as mentioned, won't be buying another board unless I try it 1st. Wish the wakesurf companies would take more of a ski/snowboard mentality and set-up their retailers with demo fleets so customers can try boards before we buy. I get demo days are expensive and hard to plan with weather/boats, etc but I'd pay $20 to demo a board for a weekend from my local shop. Just my 2 cents. And why is a distributor trying to sell me product directly and on a forum? Wouldn't you retailers be pretty upset at that? Or is this a case that Soulcraft doesn't sell retailers? If so then sorry I only support brands who sell retailers as they are the ones spending the $ to grow the sport, sorry.

Comment

Working...
                        X