Couple Issues / Concerns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple Issues / Concerns

I had a couple issues over the weekend and I was hoping to get some advice, 2012 Tige Z3:

- First, it seems as though the boat is not able to find neutral or it thinks it is in gear because I have to push the throttle forward and back multiple times to get it to start. It is obviously in neutral when I try to start, but it doesn't do anything. There isn't a crank at all, so I'm assuming the boat thinks it is in gear. It is intermittent because it only does this sometimes and when it happens it sometimes takes 10-20 minutes to get it going. Any thoughts on how to repair?

- Second, when driving the boat very fast at all, the boat seems to list to the right significantly, almost as if there is something dragging on the right side of the boat. If I am steering slight left the boat will level out, but once I hold the wheel so I can go straight it lists right again. Thoughts? I checked the ballast bags on the right and everything appears to be drained so it doesn't seem like a weight issue. I also looked under the boat and the taps plate or convex VX isn't distorted causing a drag.

I appreciate the help!

Matt

I can be sure on the first issue but the second I am sure DP Powell will chime in as his Z1 does the same thing. What he has noticed is they are ULTRA sensitive to weight when the boat is planed out. Running the taps around 3-1 does help some but still has a noticeable list usually to the right. Might just be one of those things about the Z hulls that makes them that way.
    My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

I'm not sure about the systems on the new boat but, the neutral issue sounds like a neutral safety switch issue. Anybody know if a Z3 has the same type of setup as the old boats?

If I'm in a long cruise and I have some list, I'll just correct it with a little opposite side ballast.
      You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

I have something similar going on with my 2014 Z1, but with mine when I'm in gear it slips into neutral. Will not engage back into gear. Shut boat off wait 10 min start boat goes back into gear. After a few times, boat will not start at all. Acts like its in gear and will not start. Its been at the dealer for past 2 1/2 weeks and they cant find what's wrong. They are contacting Tige for help. I will post if they come back with solution.

Listing issue is a weight issue. Move passenger over little bit and will correct.

Comment

Our 2013 Z1 did the lean as well. if we were going to be cruising for a while, we would shift people or add ballast to offset this and give the boat a more even ride. I think this may just be the way some or most of the Z Series hulls are. I didn't care for that feeling and we would occasionally get "chine lock" where the boat didn't want to turn, we would have to come off of plane and turn. I have not read anything about this with the Z3. Again, once we offset the weight to run even, all was good.

Regarding not starting, I agree with Nickypoo. There is a sensor for neutral that I believe has to send the correct signal to allow power to pass through to the starter. Much like on a vehicle, it cannot be started unless in neutral. Not sure if this can be re-calibrated or needs to be replaced.
          "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

Was there not an issue with a handful of the early 2012 Z3 hulls where they had problems like this? Maybe my memory is bad but I thought there was some major issue with the shape of the rear of the hull.

My Z1 does that tippy bit also. I just add offside ballast (at least until I install my TAPS21 system)

Sent from my BlackBerry Priv

Comment

I wonder if the removal of the chines, while improving the surf wake, causes the Z to be more pronounced than the older boats. I would think the chines would add some stability at speed.
              Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Originally posted by snows56 View Post
                I...when driving the boat very fast at all, the boat seems to list to the right significantly, almost as if there is something dragging on the right side of the boat. If I am steering slight left the boat will level out, but once I hold the wheel so I can go straight it lists right again.
                I can't speak to the Z3, but as theGerman618 mentioned, our Z1 is tippy at higher speeds. As others have recommended, I either move people around, or just add a little bit of ballast. If it's just my wife and I, I simply stand up a little closer to the centerline, and it levels out. The weight sensitivity at higher speeds bothered me at first, but now, it's no big deal at all. I look at it like "I have bigger issues"... like "when can we surf again?"

Comment

My Z3does the same thing at high speeds. The Z3 and Z1 are usually sensitive to side-to-side weight. My big arse is usually driving so that doesn't help the weight distribution either...

Comment

My 15 Z3 leans a bit also to the starboard side even when I have more offside weight/ppl in boat. I usually add offside/port ballast to compensate or it drives me insane!

Comment

Hmm, maybe it's normal... It seemed like something was wrong. Is the sensor for neutral hard or expensive to replace?

Comment

Originally posted by jnole View Post
                        I have something similar going on with my 2014 Z1, but with mine when I'm in gear it slips into neutral. Will not engage back into gear. Shut boat off wait 10 min start boat goes back into gear. After a few times, boat will not start at all. Acts like its in gear and will not start. Its been at the dealer for past 2 1/2 weeks and they cant find what's wrong. They are contacting Tige for help. I will post if they come back with solution.

Listing issue is a weight issue. Move passenger over little bit and will correct.
                        I am having the same issue with my 2014 Tige Z1. Any resolution to this?

Comment

There is definitely a neutral safety switch. Believe it's purple wire at throttle handle on your Z1. Also think that it is just a basic open/closed circuit, so to bypass it wouldn't take much. The next question would be if you have a mechanically shifted trans or solenoid shifted. If it's slipping out of gear and it's mechanical and you can physically see that the lever is still shifted your trans is most likely slipping. Worth looking at lever and control cable link at trans while shifting to verify it's working as designed.
                          If it's solenoid shifted I would guess either solenoid isnt getting good power and ground and is letting spool valvle move, solenoid has failed, or there's an issue with the spool valvle inside. Usually a small blockage in spool valves will cause all kinds of problems.

This is all just theory, but these systems aren't rocket science. The trans in your boats is a super simple planetary gear set and forward and reverse clutch packs that uses pressure on the "piston" for forward and reverse.

Comment

Yeah....I have 150 lbs of lead ballast in the port locker at all times. Sometimes I move it around to starboard if there are a lot of people on the boat and they all insist on staying on the port side.

I would love having a 200-250 pound counterweight system, mid ship, that could be moved left or right as needed to balance the boat, adjust the wake and make it turn better. So, add that to my list of things to make a true cross-over boat....2 speed transmission and counter-balance system. Having the automated counter-balance would let us have our cake and eat it when it comes to the issues inherent with the dead rise our boats have.

Comment

Just trying to help adding my experiance but my 15 z3 tracks straight with no ballast. My Tige touch system is not working with crap and driving me crazy but the boat doesn't lean or turn. I can go hands off and it tracks straight

Comment

Working...
                              X