Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sea Level to Lake Powell- What to factor in

TO,

Asking for some input from all of you highly qualified folks. My wife and I are planning on towing our '15 Z3 up to Lake Powell this upcoming September (10th-15th) and wanted to get a head start on all things that I will need to snag/ consider before the trip.

My questions are:
    - Will I need to reprop to run @ 3,700' ? (Currently running ACME 2419 15 x12V 1 1/8")
    - Any specific inspections my boat will need to go through to be able to launch? (i.e.. ballast bags, zebra mussels, etc)
    - Any tips on protection of the boat for a long haul from Houston, Tx to Powell? (i.e. Avoiding rock chips, bugs on tower, etc)
    - We will be on the Bullfrog Side, Pros/ Cons?
    - debating towing with my F250 or Merc Sprinter Dually (Merc is a little under powered if I got to any mtn passes)

I am open to any and all recommendations. We are NOT doing the house boat rental this year, but friend is towing his toy hauler up, so I don't necessarily have to pack it all out for a week, but will be on shore every night for food/ fuel.

Thanks guys,
    - Brandon
    -Brandon Lucas
    Houston, Tx

There are mussels there, so you will want to be sure to decontaminate before you spread them all the way to Texas. They are supposed to help you get cleaned up before you leave, but there is nothing before you launch.

Which engine do you have in your boat? You will likely be fine with the 350 HP, but for sure fine if you have the Ford 400, unless you are a ballast freak.

Why in the world would you want to drive an extra 7 hours to Bullfrog? Stop at Wahweap and camp at Lone Rock Beach.

You will have hills to climb, no doubt about it.
    Be excellent to one another.

Comment

We have the raptor 400, so should be okay.

Headed to Moab to ride bikes after, so needed to be closer.

Keep the input coming. Much appreciated.
      -Brandon Lucas
      Houston, Tx

Comment

2 summers ago, we trailered our boat from WA to WI for a family reunion. Lots of miles. Before we left, I replaced all of the trailer wheel bearings. They had not been done, so it was time anyway. I'm glad I went through the process because now I could do it on the side of the road if one gets smoked. I keep a box with all necessary tools and spare parts in the truck whenever I'm towing the boat. I also made sure the surge breaks were functioning properly.

I definitely had to scrap bugs off of the tower when we got there...

Comment

I have the 440 in my boat here in Denver. Our closest lake is 5500 elevation. I run the 2419 full ballast surfing and it does fine.

Comment

Much closer to scenic canyons launching from bull frog IMHO... Lots of room to surf and board as well and not have to deal with the Tour Boats from Antelope and Wahweep. We just got back and ran a 2249 on our 16 Z3 and it was perfect, I think your prop will be sufficient. Nothing to do before launching, but you may want to see about scheduling a decontamination before you leave... Go to stdofthesea.com and you can get the numbers to do that. We will be down their the week after you so leave me some good water!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just realized we will miss you by 2 days as we arrive on the afternoon of the 17th!

Comment

Lake Powell is the best, especially in September and October, the crowds are gone, the lake is bath water warm and the nights are cool enough so that you don't melt while sleeping under the stars!! My biggest piece of advice is to stay in the middle of the lake in the canyons and fingers as there can be sand bars everywhere that you don't want to hit, take it from my experience!

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I knew I could count on fellow TO's to pull through.

Having spare wheel bearings does need to be on my short list. Thanks for that feedback.

Any other advice or tips is greatly appreciated. I usually use my navionics app when going to new lakes, so will take a close look at that too, closer to the trip.

If anyone else will be there during our stay, let's definitely link up out on the water.

Cheers.
                  -Brandon Lucas
                  Houston, Tx

Comment

Originally posted by cbath View Post
                    Much closer to scenic canyons launching from bull frog IMHO... Lots of room to surf and board as well and not have to deal with the Tour Boats from Antelope and Wahweep. We just got back and ran a 2249 on our 16 Z3 and it was perfect, I think your prop will be sufficient. Nothing to do before launching, but you may want to see about scheduling a decontamination before you leave... Go to stdofthesea.com and you can get the numbers to do that. We will be down their the week after you so leave me some good water!

Sorry to hijack the thread. Are you running the raptor 400? I talked to acme today about props and they recommended the 2313 to replace my 2419. The 2449 has a bunch more pitch and a little less cup. What kind of weight are you running surfing?

Comment

Sorry, fat fingers, small phone... I ran a 2247.... Close match to the 1235 except maintains the 15" diameter. Yes, Raptor 400, stock ballast with a light crew. I've even used it around my local lakes and other than a slightly longer hole shot it still works great and brings the surf rpm's down a bit and gets me close to 40mph.

Comment

Originally posted by cbath View Post
                        Sorry, fat fingers, small phone... I ran a 2247.... Close match to the 1235 except maintains the 15" diameter. Yes, Raptor 400, stock ballast with a light crew. I've even used it around my local lakes and other than a slightly longer hole shot it still works great and brings the surf rpm's down a bit and gets me close to 40mph.

Right on thanks for the info. Difference between the 2313 acme recommended and your 2247 is a 12 pitch vs a 14.25 pitch. Might consider that 2247. Looking to bring the RPM's down allitle. I think it will get rid of the little bit if wash I have in my wave with more pitch and cup.

Comment

Originally posted by Z3CO23 View Post
                          Right on thanks for the info. Difference between the 2313 acme recommended and your 2247 is a 12 pitch vs a 14.25 pitch. Might consider that 2247. Looking to bring the RPM's down allitle. I think it will get rid of the little bit if wash I have in my wave with more pitch and cup.
                          I'm in Utah, so our Elevations should be fairly close I would think, and since you're running the 440, unless you're running crazy added ballast and all 16 people I think you'd be pretty happy with it.... If you were closer I'd tell you to come get it and give it a try...

Comment

Tires, hubs and Electrical connections. Also make sure your lug nut wrench socket fits the trailer nuts. My car wheels have a different size of lug nut than trailer wheels--went to Walmart a few years ago and got one of those multiple lug nut wrenchesw that looks like a X to make sure I had right size. Get trailer checked out before you leave at a trailer dealer/servicer.

I just towed my boat from KC to Austin and back...1500 miles round trip. Had trailer checked and the guy said my tires looked great but were near the end of their life. they were 4 years old. Said if I went 65 or under should be fine. 200 miles in blew out my right rear trailer tire.. Had spare--but realized if one blew, all were suspect. Called ahead and found a place right off the highway that could set me up with 5 new tires (4 and spare) He looked at my old tires and said...bet you were going over 65; said I was doing like 72 and he said that trailer tires don't like the high speeds and the heat from the friction and the tread will come right off.

SO--with a 2015, I assume your trailer is only 1 year old; but check the code date on the tires. Then hate to say it but you may want to consider setting cruise control @ 65 and forgetting about it. You'll be passed by everyone, but since you have such a long drive better to not have a blowout.

2nd: Spare prop.
                            On the trip I hit a log on the last day with my Acme 537 and ruined it. Luckily it was the afternoon of the last day so I just took out. I just upgraded to an ACME 1273 which fits my weight, speed and altitude--and got the 537 fixed to carry as a apare. Also got the weekend saver kit of a c clamp prop puller, nut and carrying case. You don't want to be 7 hours from a propeller.

Have fun

Comment

X2 on the spare bearings, seals, grease, latex gloves, and necessary tools to repack a hub with new stuff if God forbid you need to. Best insurance is to go through them before a long drive so you have piece of mind that it's just been done. It's cheap insurance IMO.
                              X2 on spare prop as Powell can eat em up. Depth can go from 300+ ft to 2 ft in the blink of an eye. Stay in the middle of channels as much as you can. The further south you go from bullfrog the more clear the water gets. That time of year the clarity is near as good as it gets because there's no runoff so you should be able to see obstacles pretty easy.
                              If you haven't been to Powell, (a bunch) buy a map. I've been there 2-3x a summer for the last 15 years and it stil can get confusing. It's a big, twisty turny lake where most of the canyons look very similar. There are lots of marker buoys(entrances to canyons and alternating red and green main channel mile buoys) to use so a map helps a ton. Plus they will point out cool geological formations and remnants of Indian dwellings and even dinosaur fossils and footprints!
                              Strap a 5 gallon gas tank(or two) on your swim deck or compartment if you have room if you're planning on going on a decent size cruise. The lake is freaking huge with 1900+miles of shoreline. I've ran out multiple times and towed people that where out of gas a bunch of times as well (what goes around comes around).
                              Bullfrog is a huge ramp with a gas station right at the top of it. Gas is much cheaper there than on the water. That time of year there won't be much, if any delay to launch.
                              Ill be there in July and may get down there around the same time as you but probably closer to the 20th.
                              Last advice-Pack lots of beer and have a blast!

Comment

Working...
                              X