Outsourcing Maintenance Doesn't Mean You Can Relax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outsourcing Maintenance Doesn't Mean You Can Relax

Just wanted to share an observation I've made during the reconditioning of a 2005 22v I bought last weekend. This boat has full detailed service records from the time the boat was new. All maintenance was outsourced to reputable folks for years.

I pulled the top cover of the engine off and exposed the flame arrestor and noticed something I've never seen in a marine engine. The arrestor screen was completely covered in a thin layer of black gunk. Pulling the arrestor off I noticed a similar layer of crud covering the butterfly valve in the throat of the throttle body. I really wish I had shot some photos of this mess to show to you all. I have no idea how this engine ran decently in this state! Anyway, a can of carb cleaner and some paper towels restored things back to their natural state. But it got me thinking about how some boat owners who are not necessarily mechanically inclined or don't have the time to do routine maintenance themselves may be lulled into a false sense of security that the people they hire to perform routine maintenance on their boats are looking beyond their oil dipstick tube.

Bottom line, if you own a boat, I believe you need to validate a mechanic's work and take the time to make sure all is good with your boat. Basic stuff to ensure problem free boating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

^^^100% agree. I've been dealing with this same issue on a friends boat. On the surface, it's looks great and everything has always been done by the dealer or some other "professional" (stereo, upholstery). If you want it done right, do it yourself. If you don't know how, learn how.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

I know a few boat owners that have never cleaned theirs. My dealer doesn't clean it with a winterize. I just do a few times a summer.
      Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

Won't argue that at at all. Having been around these things now for 30+ years now I can tell some stories. A lot of "boat mechanics" have no business touching boats. There are a lot of hacks out there, even at reputable big name dealers. One of the reasons I stopped buying boats from certain dealers. A warranty isn't worth much when their hack mechanics couldn't fix anything.

People in charge of hiring don't seem to understand there is a major difference between working on outboard fishing boats and 100K plus tow boats. They think a boat mechanic is a boat mechanic.

Comment

Originally posted by skiguy View Post
          The arrestor screen was completely covered in a thin layer of black gunk. Pulling the arrestor off I noticed a similar layer of crud covering the butterfly valve in the throat of the throttle body.
          Yep, we get the same on our boat. I believe it's a fine dust that comes off the serpentine belt. It also settles on most things toward the front of the engine. Ours doesn't need carb cleaner to remove, we just shopvac it away and gently wipe any residue (to prevent it from falling through the throttle body into the engine). But since it's getting onto the butterfly valve you know it's being ingested into the engine too. I've toyed with adding an intake air filter to the engine but haven't done any research on it yet.

Bottom line, if you own a boat, I believe you need to validate a mechanic's work and take the time to make sure all is good with your boat. Basic stuff to ensure problem free boating.
          I cannot possibly agree more! Way too many horror stories out there. Like others have said, that's why I do all of the standard maintenance I can. Big stuff like major engine work is beyond my tool collection, but if you the regular stuff properly you reduce the odds of needing major stuff anyway.

Good post!

Comment

Is there any chance that someone can post photos of the flame arrestor screen for us non mechanical simple minded folks? It would also bring additional value to this post for those finding it in a search. Sounds like this is an extra thing that should be looked at a few times a season...had no idea.

This forum is alot like the motto of a radio show I listen to "you will learn more here by accident than elsewhere by design"
            "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

Working...
            X