No announcement yet.

Wake surfing injury?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I knocked a tooth loose from falling and the board smashing me when I surfaced. Other than that never really had any big problems and have ~200hrs of surfing behind our Z3

Comment

broke a fingernail opening a beer during oine surf session...................

By far, rope tangles seem to be the most dangerous followed by getting hit by the board after a fall. ill take these risks over a hard wake board fall any day.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

When I first started, summer before last, I was using a shortened ski rope. After getting up I would have the rope coiled in my left hand. I fell and threw the rope but somehow the coil of rope got around my neck. As soon as I felt it I tucked my chin and put a hand between the rope and my neck. I did get dragged a little and got a serious rope burn around my neck and face. I will admit I was a bit shaken by what the potential outcome could have been. Needless to say I never used a ski rope again and bought a surf rope the next day. Goes to the saying always use the right tool for the job. I also make sure that when I have kids surfing that someone is positioned to prevent them hitting transom and managing the rope when they fall.
        It by far is the safest water sport I have done but does have its risks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Captainkurk72 View Post
          When I first started, summer before last, I was using a shortened ski rope. After getting up I would have the rope coiled in my left hand. I fell and threw the rope but somehow the coil of rope got around my neck. As soon as I felt it I tucked my chin and put a hand between the rope and my neck. I did get dragged a little and got a serious rope burn around my neck and face. I will admit I was a bit shaken by what the potential outcome could have been. Needless to say I never used a ski rope again and bought a surf rope the next day. Goes to the saying always use the right tool for the job. I also make sure that when I have kids surfing that someone is positioned to prevent them hitting transom and managing the rope when they fall.
          It by far is the safest water sport I have done but does have its risks.
          WOW! That is scary - good thing you had some fast thinking....

I spent 3 days in the hospital after getting caught in the rope wakeboarding - broke a bunch of bones in my face. Needless to say, we don't mess around with the rope. We don't coil it and only hang on with the handle and it gets thrown into the boat - not the other side of the wave. In my opinion, the rope is the most dangerous part of this sport....

Comment

A couple summers back I was towing a buddy that hadn't wake surfed before. He brought a short ocean surf board and thought he was the cat's ***. Somehow the board ended shooting up vertically then came back down pointy nose straight to his head. We got him to the hospital, and brought him back out with stitches and staples. We have a picture somewhere with him crashing but the surfboard is mid flight out of the frame.

Comment

Really, I can't type the word A S S ?

Comment

on the lighter side of injuries, I nutted myself falling on the peak of the wave once. I think it hurt so much I couldn't have sex for a few days.........my ego was bruised and I walked around for day like I was a 14 year old with blue balls. Down side of having a large steep wave I guess.

Comment

Took a board to the left eye and it swelled shut. I somehow submerged the board and when it resurfaced, it was like a missile coming out of the water and hit me right in the eye and nose. Of course it was my left eye and we were 180 miles from home and my wife doesn't drive the truck/trailer on the highway so I still had to drive home towing the boat with 1 eye...

Comment

Last year my wife had just gotten up and we hit a couple wakes. She ended up with some slack in the rope and went face first. Somehow the handle hit her middle finger and busted it at the knuckle. Luckily she didn't need surgery but it put an end to her season. Other than that I have seen WAY more wakeboarding injuries.

Comment

Here is a freak accident that happened to a girl down on Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia. She was wakesurfing using a thin (and strong) wake board rope instead of a thick surf rope. Rope was wrapped around one of her fingers and she then fell and rope actually sliced through and she lost a part of her finger. Always use a wakesurfing rope!!

Comment

Originally posted by Eastern shore wake View Post
                        Here is a freak accident that happened to a girl down on Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia. She was wakesurfing using a thin (and strong) wake board rope instead of a thick surf rope. Rope was wrapped around one of her fingers and she then fell and rope actually sliced through and she lost a part of her finger. Always use a wakesurfing rope!!
                        X2 Eastern Shore Wake!!!! I had it wrap around my ankle a few years ago... Ankle still isn't the same.. I don't even like when people pull themselves in with the wakesurfing ropes.. Toss that $hit in the boat where it belongs! Use it to get up and that is it! Once you fine the push you shouldn't be using the rope... Alt least don't pull yourself in on the rope and try anything crazy.. Bad things can happen.. I got lucky...

Comment

First there is no hard data just speculation and general opinions. Yes, it is overall lower impact than comparable tow sports, but all the typical surf injuries can and do occur. Also, injuries are tiered just like other tow sports, if you are a pro or advanced competitor and going hard you are more likely to succumb to the typical, neck, knee and back injuries. I have known very few or had very few team riders that didn't work through some injury that was a result or exacerbated by wakesurfing. Other wise typical surf injuries, like fin cuts, boards to the head or eye causing lacerations, bumps and bruises are common. Bump, bruises and lacerations are a part of boat life. Boats are horribly designed from an ergonomic stand point, full of sharp edges, protruding screws, and littered with components to bang into. Poor rope handling or just fooling around often leads to finger injuries, board damage, and boat damage.

Nick

Comment

Not a wake surf injury, but it could happen and I think of it every time I'm surfing or pulling someone.

25+ years ago a beginner skier (friend) on 2 skies fell forward, wobbly feet and so on... the rope wrapped around 2 fingers on his hand and pulled them off.

Yup, 2 fingers gone in the water at the first knuckle.

Every time I'm surfing I think of this and how it could happen again...

Comment

Almost a month ago went with some coworkers to the lake, first lake visit in a few years. They asked me if I wanted to try wake surfing after I saw the girl whose boat I was on do it. Looked easy enough, so I did it. Got up my first try. Tried 6 times to ride the wake, on the 6th try I fell forward into the rope. Got my right arm really mangled up, sprained my wrist and have ended up ruining my summer, volleyball season and out of work on disability. Reading these forums made me realize getting up on a ski rope and pulling myself behind the boat with rope all behind me was really dumb. I was completely ignorant. When I got out of the water the girl whose boat it was said “I almost told you to watch out for the rope. You’re lucky your whole arm didn’t come off.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Funny this thread should come up. My wife just took a surfboard to the nose. 2 deep gashes and a lot of blood from in the nose and the lacerations. Getting to go under anesthesia tomorrow to have the broken nose straightened out. Getting whacked by the surfboard to the head is one of the most common injuries. Usually not requiring more than a few stitches, if that. So if you fall out of the wave, remember that if the board catches the wave, it may hunt you down.

Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Working...
                                X