2016 RZX Prop choice??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2016 RZX Prop choice??

So I just bought a new RZX. The dealer installed an acme 2419 Prop at the direction of the factory. The boat gets up outa the hole very well and performs well whether surfing or wake boarding. My only complaint would be the lack of top speed or rather the high rpm at cruising speed. Also, I noticed it goes through gas like you wouldn't believe (compared to my previous 2013 z1 w/ PCM 409.) Are there any other people out there with the same boat running a different prop? If so, I would be curious to know your thoughts and/or experience with your different prop size. I'm looking for a prop that is better on gas consumption without sacrificing too much performance.

What speed do you cruise at?

Comment

Also, what engine do you have? Did you or your dealer call ACME to get a recommendation on a prop for you altitude, weight and HP configuration?
      2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
      2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

You will run a lot more fuel if that has the 575. Might try a 2247 or 2249 prop which will give you plenty of hole shot and 3-4mph more top end. I have a buddy with a G25 and 575 and he runs a 2247 and the thing still has crazy hole shot and top end around 40mph if that helps. It would me a little more weight then your RZX so a good comparison.

Comment

Darren,

Do you know what the original prop was?
          Original top speed
          current top speed
          original rpm
          current rpm

AVX or TAPS-3?
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

The engine is an Indmar 575 Supercharged. The current prop is what the dealer put on it by factory recommendation. They said the boat was shipped w/o a prop on it and they install them at the dealer once the boat arrives.

As JLG recommended, I have seen many similar size boats of a different brand with the same engine run the 2249. I think that will get me closer to what I'm searching for, but I wanted to see if any other RZX owners are running anything else.... The same... Or what?? Just trying to make an informed decision before I have to sell a child to finance a new piece of metal, or prop... Ha j/k

Comment

Oh... And it does have the Taps 3.

Comment

We have a 2014 ASR with the 450 hp LS3. Full ballast with 9 people in the boat and it will barely get on plane with the 2249 - makes me wish I would have gotten the 575 hp motor. Let me know if you want to work out a trade for your 2419.

Comment

Originally posted by DarrenBergmann View Post
                  Oh... And it does have the Taps 3.
                  Theres your fuel consumption. The Z3 we had at the Lake Mead event 2 weeks ago, burned a tank in one day. Happy to offer a suggestion but need more info. First ive heard of Tige shipping boats with a prop not included. very common for the props to NOT be installed, just packed in the boat, and then installed by the dealer. This is due to how its shipped, but a prop was always included.
                  Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

My RZX3 has a 3077 17x15.5 on it. About 4200 lbs of ballast, he said it would give me more out of the hole, but hurt my top end. Forgive my ignorance on prop selection.....this is my first boat ��

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                      My RZX3 has a 3077 17x15.5 on it. About 4200 lbs of ballast, he said it would give me more out of the hole, but hurt my top end. Forgive my ignorance on prop selection.....this is my first boat ��
                      Good surf prop for your boat. The earlier RZXs(Like the 16 in the thread title) wont clear a 17" wheel. Just fyi. Just a heads up if you shop for a prop in the future, you have a 1 1/4" prop shaft. Most boats have 1 1/8" prop shafts(16 RZX).

Comment

Yeah, I knew about the shaft size. Not trying to hi-jack this thread, but is it a good idea to have a spare prop on hand?? Do they really break that easily?

Comment

No, props usually do not break. Rather they seem find ground, get bent out of shape. A spare prop can save a trip. Think about those that plan a week long trip to big water like powell and you are 2 hours ride from the nearest ramp.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                            Yeah, I knew about the shaft size. Not trying to hi-jack this thread, but is it a good idea to have a spare prop on hand?? Do they really break that easily?
                            No worries brother. Just didn't want some poor guy witha 16 RZX to buy a 17" wheel and watch a blade seat against the hull before the prop nut even goes on . Mike is spot on. Bottom strikes, logs, submerged stumps, sand bars, etc will damage a prop. Have seen even a small amount of ripple on the trailing edge cause vibrations that will make a discerning boat owner notice a change in their boat.

The new one is lead in the rears. Loading the trailer with lead in the rears on a shallow angle ramp and the prop tags the flat stock on either side of the prop guard while loading and needs a prop rebuild after (and a touch up on the trailer paint).

I'd be looking at the 17x17 as a spare unless your really love your prop now. That way if you go to a big lake you can get around on the top end and hopefully save on a bit of fuel. Just may slip and blow bubbles a bit out the hole when weighted. YMMV, I'm used to propping boat for higher elevation.

Oh ya, dont forget to get a puller for the 1 1/4 shaft. I think it's the Acme 330S. The standard 1 1/8" puller that comes in most weekend saver kits wont cut the mustard.
                            Last edited by freeheel4life; 05-01-2019, 04:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X